All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Clouds Rest from Sunrise: Is it do-able now?
July 17, 2010 10:09AM
Just back from a week in Yosemite and the Rangers told me Clouds Rest was not traverseable so far. However, last year they told me the same thing in June and it was fine. Mammoth Lakes is basically un-hikeable except for Valentine Lake (Duck Pass... forget it). Hoover Lakes also has a dangerous snow bridge on the back side which I was too scared to cross, so I had to abort that hike as well.

Is there snow still on the trail from Sunrise to Clouds Rest? I will be returning to Yosemite Tuesday and would love to hike it a couple of times. Thanks in advance.
Re: Clouds Rest from Sunrise: Is it do-able now?
July 17, 2010 07:10PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT32WKlP0hg&feature=related These guys did it from the Valley over a month ago.
July 18, 2010 11:30AM
Thanks for the video, but these guys did it from Happy Isles on the Valley Floor. They didn't start from the High Country and Sunrise Lakes trailhead. Snow wasn't an issue in that part of the park.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest from Sunrise: Is it do-able now?
July 18, 2010 12:33PM
Bill-e-g and I were up at the mine above Granite Lakes and down past Gaylor Lakes on July 10th. No snow to speak of. I'm sure the area between the Sunrise Lakes junction and Clouds Rest is very much clear of snow by now if not completely clear.

Old Dude
July 18, 2010 07:16PM
Ulysses61
Thanks for the video, but these guys did it from Happy Isles on the Valley Floor. They didn't start from the High Country and Sunrise Lakes trailhead. Snow wasn't an issue in that part of the park.
I understand that, the point I was trying to make was that it was over 6 weeks ago, and if you watch, the snow was melting fast. They went to the knife edge, where there was snow, but again, it was melting and it was June 1st.
July 18, 2010 02:53PM
My brothers and I went from Sunrise Lakes trailhead, over Clouds Rest to LYV June 26th and 27th. There was still snow at that time, but it was melting about 3" per day. The trail was do-able then. Now it should be normal (meaning much easier to see where the trail goes). Just be prepared for a possibly still waist deep creek crossing as you start. When we did it, the mosquitoes at the trailhead were more challenging than the water crossing, but we got through 4 days camping with no actual itching bites.
July 19, 2010 01:24PM
Just got back. Yes it is do-able, just bring lots o deet. esp. around Sunrise....if going to Little Yosemite after I recommend the trail down from CR it's beautiful....
July 24, 2010 03:47PM
kevinmurray
Just be prepared for a possibly still waist deep creek crossing as you start.

Not even that deep now:

July 18, 2010 09:53PM
July 18, 2010 10:22PM
chick-on
Dang. How is it not do-able now?

The escalator isn't running. We need more chicken fat to run the steam engine.
(FowlFuelLessly Yours)
The Marmots
July 19, 2010 12:04AM
szalkowski
We need more chicken fat to run the steam engine.

I've heard it just gums up the works.
July 19, 2010 06:48AM
eeek
szalkowski
We need more chicken fat to run the steam engine.

I've heard it just gums up the works.

Me taught it was a hybird.

<insert awesum foto of me drive-on HHRR Hybird-Steamy Engine here>

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 19, 2010 03:01PM
that's dumb. The rangers have way old info. We did Sunrise to Clouds on 7/10. There were maybe three patches of snow, easily navigated, each obscured maybe twenty feet of trail at most. The outlet of the lake was barely up to mid thigh on most of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 03:02PM by AlmostThere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login