Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Campground In Tuolumne Meadows

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campground In Tuolumne Meadows
July 18, 2010 04:53PM
We plan to leave tonight to drive all night from Sun City, CA to Tuolumne Meadows. I understand the campground has first come first serve. Is this time a diffucult to get a site or will it be easy to get it if we get there by 6 am? We plan to stay there for about 5 days/4 nights or 6 days/5 nights (tent camping).

Also, is this campground safe for kids? (we have 3 kids)

Thank you.
July 18, 2010 05:17PM
Hello and have lots of fun in Tuolumne meadows.. There are plenty of sites always available.
6 am is too early.. I usually go the the reservation window by 10 am , park service receives lots of checkouts..
I always go to this campground thru-out the summer and only seen it full once over labor day.
Have fun....
July 19, 2010 03:05PM
show up at 6 am and you will wait two and a half hours.

We showed up on a Friday morning at 8:45 and had no troubles. Not even a line. Ranger said it would fill up in a "couple of hours like always."

You can make it safe for kids by making sure they do not run out in front of cars, don't go to the river unsupervised, don't throw things or chase the bears, and generally keeping track of them. The river is deep and faster than it looks, and the bears won't bother people who don't bother them. But mind the food storage rules - read them on the website way before you get there, make sure you follow them and don't leave stuff around for the bears to steal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 03:07PM by AlmostThere.
avatar Re: Campground In Tuolumne Meadows
July 28, 2010 10:21AM
Just got back from our Yosemite trip and we stayed in Tuolumne for 5 days. It was awsome. Great campground for the kids, we have a three and they loved it. No bears during our stay, but plenty of dear.
July 28, 2010 02:02PM
Great to hear you had a great trip! We are heading up next week for 3 nights with our two kids (8 and 10). Were there any specific things that the kids really enjoyed? Also, how was the mosquito situation?

Thanks!
July 28, 2010 10:49PM
Just got back today, the mosquito situation is bad. I never worry about putting any spray on and this year I had to put spray on and still got bit multiple times. Agree with the multiple deer, saw two young buck in the campground, bears were out at night. My group was spread out a little bit, one had thought all the trash was thrown out however a small bag that originally contained shrimp missed the trash bag (They had a very long two days which consisted of driving to mammoth to have their truck fixed and torn knee ligament) well night rolls around and the bear decided to check it out knocked over a bunch of stuff that we heard from our site however they were too tired and never heard a thing. Paw prints on their screen tent confirmed the bear was there. Then last night the bear was trying to get into the bear box at a site right behind us, kept hitting the door to get it loose. Then the last part of our group near the restrooms at the begining of the 'c' loop heard the bear trying to get into the trash cans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login