Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Happy Isles exit.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Happy Isles exit.
July 19, 2010 01:30PM
Just got back from Sunrise TH thru to Happy Isles. At one point almost at the bottom of the JMT via Nevada Falls there is a sign that says Foot traffic only to the Valley and another that says Esqitarian only (or something like that)...

question: Is it OK to take the pack animal esquitarian trail?

After coming down from L Yosemite w/ 50 lbs on that paved section for foot travel is really a b*tch!! Maybe it's OK for backpackers to take the esqitarian trail...i normally feel like more of an animal than human at that point anyway!

James
July 19, 2010 02:28PM
Are you a horse?

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 19, 2010 02:44PM
Not yet but i'm workin on it, actually i'm a pack mule
July 19, 2010 02:57PM
rroland
Not yet but i'm workin on it, actually i'm a pack mule

You're good to go then.

July 19, 2010 02:55PM
I've used the Horse Trail numerous times going both up and down. It comes down the paved road behind the Happy Isles restrooms. This road goes up to the water tank that supplies the valley with water. The horse trail runs along side the road. Only the horse trail proceeds after the tank. This is the tank you see down below you from Sierra Point. It's a pleasant forest walk that's not quite as steep and crosses several bridges over Illilouette Creek. When you're going up trail you can cross over to the bridge/bathrooms on JMT by going off trail uphill at the first hairpin turn after you've been following the river for a while. Likewise from the bridge/bathrooms you can just go down slope to the trail.

I'm not sure what would happen if you and a ranger ran across each other on the trail. I've rarely ever met anyone. One time I ran across a trail maint guy using a chainsaw who gave me a noncommittal grunt that seemed to indicate I didn't belong there. Your mileage may vary, use at your own risk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 02:57PM by qumqats.
July 19, 2010 03:11PM
qumqats
I'm not sure what would happen if you and a ranger ran across each other on the trail.

Probably just say "How's it going?"

wink

July 19, 2010 04:28PM
Everyone I have seen on this trail segment is coming down, and has taken the horse trail by mistake at dusk. I've never heard of anyone whom the rangers made go back up and around the other way. You should just look lost and bewildered, and ask any ranger that you meet if you are almost down yet. Remember that if you just can't do it, you become their problem, too.

On the other hand, if I met a mule train, I would certainly get off the trail and let them have the right of way....

I haven't been there in recent years, but the last time I was in that vicinity there was one place where the horse trail forded part of Illioutte Creek. No problem now, but I wouldn't try it during the Spring flood. Have they since built a high water bridge?...
July 19, 2010 04:50PM
There's bridges.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login