All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

mammoth to yosemite
July 25, 2010 02:32PM
Some friends of mine and I are doing mammoth to happy isles in 4 days 3 nights in a few weeks. Anyone think this is too much to do in such a short amount of time?
Re: mammoth to yosemite
July 25, 2010 04:57PM
Personally, I like to hike about 8 miles per day and enjoy the scenery. You're looking at about 12 miles per day. Do-able, but I wouldn't rush it.
July 25, 2010 04:59PM
were thinking the mammoth to yosemite might be a mit easier then yosemite to mammoth?
July 25, 2010 05:15PM
You still have to climb and descend all those same passes. You'll be awakened each night by the same bears. You'll see the same dayhikers and the same pack trains of mules. Why would it be easier? smiling smiley

On a more serious note... at Tuolumne Meadows you are at 8,600 feet. At Agnew you are at 8300 feet. At Reds Meadow, around 7500-7600. I suppose it depends on how you look at it.
July 25, 2010 06:05PM
runner
were thinking the mammoth to yosemite might be a mit easier then yosemite to mammoth?

If you start out at Agnew and go to Happy Isles, from tracing the route on TOPO!, you are looking at an integrated elevation gain of 7.0k and an integrated loss of 11.3k over 47-48 miles. Of course those elevation numbers would be reversed if you travel in the opposite direction.

Your original question is impossible to accurately answer since it really depends on the physical conditioning and hiking ability of your group's members. Noting that you list your experience in your profile as "Novice" and are asking the question, I suspect that you are going to be pushing the outer envelope of your capabilities in that time frame. You don't mention your transportation arrangements, but you might find that you will want to bail at Tuolumne Meadows if you are strictly limited to 4 days and things are going appreciably more slowly than you anticipated... so plan with that possibility in mind.

Point of Information, the following excerpt is taken from Francis Farquhar's book “Place Names of the High Sierra”
( http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/place_names_of_the_high_sierra/ ):
HAPPY ISLES “There are three islets just above the bridge which have never been given a place in Yosemite geography, so far as I am able to learn, and, commemorative of the emotions which I enjoyed when exploring them, I have named them the Happy Isles, for no one can visit them without for the while forgetting the grinding strife of his world and being happy.” (Letter from W. E. Dennison, Guardian of Yosemite Valley, to William B. May, secretary of the Yosemite Commissioners, October 25, 1885, in Superintendent’s files, Yosemite.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 06:06PM by szalkowski.
July 25, 2010 06:16PM
Thank you... I am the most novice of our group. I have done backpacking in the past (GC non-maintained trail) but it's been a while and my fitness level is not what it used to be. I know that Iwill be bringing up the rear of our group and we are good with that. We are planning on taking Yarts back to Mammoth. Thank you for the recomendation of Tuolumne Meadows we will keep that in mind and it might be a game day decision.
July 25, 2010 06:27PM
Is your schedule fixed or can you add a day or two if needed?
July 25, 2010 06:30PM
pretty set schedule as far as days we are out there
July 25, 2010 06:56PM
If you have not hiked at elevation much... you may find it more difficult than you think. We had a gent who got the group permit, held meetings, and came up with the whole plan for the trip, only to have to turn back the first day. Could not manage the flattest part of the trip (Lyell) and I am certain that he would have crumbled going up Donahue.

You might want to go out on an overnight or two at mid-elevation (7,000 - 9,000), hiking 8-10 miles/day, to see how you do, before you commit to a longer trip. You would be able to predict better how you will do on a 4 day trip hiking to high elevations (9-10,000 feet) repeatedly.

Happy Isles to TM is a long hike to do in a day, and while people have done TM to Mammoth in two-three days.... it's not the easiest. Your itinerary is a breakneck speed for that distance on that particular trail. I would hate it - that's some of the most beautiful country out there, it's almost a crime to run by without taking the time to appreciate it.
July 25, 2010 08:29PM
Its definitely easier.
July 25, 2010 08:57PM
The Other Tom
Personally, I like to hike about 8 miles per day and enjoy the scenery. You're looking at about 12 miles per day. Do-able, but I wouldn't rush it.

The first time I took a group backpacking in Yosemite we did 9.6 miles the first day. After that experience I learned to plan for much shorter days. Besides being more enjoyable it gave us room for dealing with problems, e.g. one year a woman decided brand new boots were a great idea for a backpack.
July 25, 2010 08:26PM
Did it a couple of weeks ago, Mammoth to Happy Isles via Tuolumne. Took six days, five nights.

The trick to planning your trip, is where you plan to camp.

Do you want to camp above the trees where there are No Mosquitoes and No Bears?
Or, in the trees where you will get eaten alive by both?

Incidentally, there is a bear living in Shadow Lake valley, one at Garnet Lake, and a Sow and cub at Tuolumne.

The pass above Shadow Lake @10k is good camp.
Thousand Island (south) @ 9800 is good camp.
Island Pass @ 10K is good.
Below Donahue @ 10k is good.
Lyell Headwaters @ 10k is awesome (except for the Marmots).

Stay away from Sunrise Camp the meadow is totally saturated with mosquitoes.

Plan your day and camp ahead of time. Don't just walk until you land somewhere.
July 26, 2010 07:46AM
waterman
Lyell Headwaters @ 10k is awesome (except for the Marmots).

Of course you were trying to say:
exceptional for its Marmots
(HospitalitySweetly [sic] Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. Thank you. We always take presents for our people hosts to gnaw on when we visit their residences too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 07:58AM by szalkowski.
July 26, 2010 10:29AM
My 20 sense:
- Start at Agnew. Go by Garnett. Out TM. Done.
- If you gotz timez. Go up to Ireland and down Rafferty.
(you already did the best part of Lyell anyway)

Do TM to HI some other day. You thank me 4 it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 26, 2010 01:37PM
I agree with the concern some others have expressed with the time allotted for this trip. Twelve miles for one day may be sandwiched amoungst some 8-9 mile days but 4 days straight at that pace at high altitude for a novice is pure self abusement. The object is to enjoy that magnificent scenery, not watch it go by in a painful blur. You are going to be pushing yourself very hard for 4 days breathing 20% less oxygen than normal. You can do what you want but if you are indeed the weak link and the others are dead set on that pace you might even consider passing on such a trip until you have the time and the company to do it right. I don't mean to be an alarmist but setting a comfortable pace and having flexibility in your schedule can mean the difference between a horrible trip and a wonderful experience. Mountain Lion
July 27, 2010 09:59AM
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the tips. I have a question...what is the driving route from the Bay Area to Mammoth? Should I drive to TM then through Tioga Pass?

Thanks

James
July 27, 2010 11:00AM
120 to 395 is the only reasonable way.

Old Dude
July 27, 2010 11:05AM
Thanks Mike,

I wanna go for it.

James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login