Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Young Lakes via Dog Lake, July 23-35

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Young Lakes via Dog Lake, July 23-25
July 26, 2010 02:01PM
So, I am fresh back from my first trip to Yosemite this past weekend and thought I should share my experiences here.

I hiked to Lower Young Lake via the Dog Lake trail on Friday afternoon. I had gotten out of work late, so I didn't arrive to pick up my wilderness permit until about 2 pm. After finding a parking spot, getting everything situated, and loading up I probably didn't start hiking until 3 pm. The hike was pretty hard at first as there was a lot of elevation gain and I was new to carrying a 40 lb pack. I took lots of mini breaks and enjoyed the scenery.

For a while there after 2-3 miles I didn't think I was going to make it. I was sweating profusely and running low on water. I felt like I was going to pass out. Fortunately, I decided to take a break at Delaney Creek crossing. After a snack and water refill, I felt like a whole new person and attacked the remaining trail with vigor. At that point the trail was much more reasonable and the views were magnificent! Hiking through the boulder-strewn mountain meadows and lodge-pole pine forests was just the reason I planned this trip. The hike took longer than I had planned and I was pretty much wiped by the time I got to the lake. I lost the trail about a 1/4 mile from the lake, but I just kept headed towards the base of Ragged Peak because I knew the lake was nestled there. Finally, I arrived at around 6:30 or so.

I was the last person to arrive and set up their campsite, I the pickings were pretty slim. I set up my tent, filtered some water from the lake, and made dinner. Freeze dried chili-mac has never tasted so good. I ate the whole two serving pouch myself. I cleaned myself up and was pretty tired, so I just went to bed right away. I didn't sleep particularly well, but at least I was warm and cozy. I woke up early the next morning; before sunrise. This made for some exceptional photo opportunities as the sunrise gradually hit Ragged Peak. After eating a quick breakfast, I spent the entire morning shooting photos of the lake, mountains, and surrounding terrain. Once the sun was fully up the lighting was a bit washed out for good pictures, so I just spent some time chillin' by the lake.

I had intended to stay up there all day Saturday and leave Sunday morning, but a number of things caused me to change my mind and pack up early.
1. The mosquitoes were insanely annoying.
2. The pollen was making my nose run like a open water faucet (literally).
3. The thunderstorm clouds were quite menacing.
Hence, I packed up my stuff Sat. afternoon and headed back down to the car in an attempt to beat the oncoming rain. On the way back down, I decided to take the Glen Aulin branch of the trail back to the stables. This trail was not nearly as scenic, but it also had much more gradual elevation changes. It would have been an easier hike up if I had taken this route first. Anyways, I was in good spirits and had a relatively uneventful stroll back down. Somewhere along the way (4.5 miles), I took off my pack, shoes, and socks and soaked my feet in a small creek while enjoying some trail mix and water. A break like that does wonders for tired legs and feet!

I was back to the car by 6, and home by 9:30 that night. I truly feel like I got what I wanted out of the trip and I am already looking forward to my future trips that are already reserved and on the calendar.

*NOTE* - The mosquitoes at the lakes were horrendously bad. Knowing this ahead of time, I had slathered myself in DEET at the car and also reapplied some once I had cleaned up at camp. They were annoying because they were buzzing around everywhere, but once I got home I found only one bite. I guess they got me through my spandex on the back of my thigh where there was no DEET applied. I wouldn't try to go up there without some SERIOUS insect defenses.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 12:59PM by jer2wcs.
avatar Re: Young Lakes via Dog Lake, July 23-35
July 26, 2010 04:57PM
jer2wcs
The hike took longer than I had planned ....

July 23 to July 35...??? Snail

Look! There's a signpost up ahead!
( Sounds like you made an unexpected detour through "The Twilight Zone." )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 05:14PM by szalkowski.
July 26, 2010 05:16PM
sounds like a good time! Headnets save you from the crazy, and the DEET flavored food. smiling smiley

I know it felt longer than it was, but July 23-35? that's a long trip. wink
July 26, 2010 05:18PM
AlmostThere
Headnets save you from the crazy, and the DEET flavored food. smiling smiley

Head nets only save your head. I've had bites through jeans.
July 26, 2010 05:21PM
eeek
AlmostThere
Headnets save you from the crazy, and the DEET flavored food. smiling smiley

Head nets only save your head. I've had bites through jeans.

Yes, but spraying my pants doesn't result in getting the junk in my eyes, nose and mouth. It just gets them off the nylon.

I had them biting me through a couple of shirts. About then I wanted a tub of DEET.
July 26, 2010 07:45PM
Either way is good but Dingly Creek in and Dog Lake out gives a bit more scenery as the views south on the way to Dog Lake are quite nice and you would not have had to look at Marmot Rock so much on the way toward Ragged Peak.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 08:21PM by mrcondron.
July 27, 2010 07:35PM
I did this trip last year in mid--July and discoverd the mosquitos were mostly right next to the lake or within 100' of it. If you get back 200-300' from the water it's actually tolerable. I'll admit my clothing had been pretreated with Permathrin before making the trip and that really helped a lot. Also, I did not camp at the lakes but instead camped on the Glen Aulin outer return leg about a mile below the intersection. There is a small promontory a few hundred feet west of the trail just outside the 4-mile no camping zone. It's a large clearing with lots of possible camp sites if you don't mind dry camping.
August 02, 2010 01:02PM
My intention was to take Dingly Creek in and Dog Lake out, but in my excitement to get hiking I somehow got on the Dog Lake trail on the way up. I didn't realize it until I was 3/4 of the way there. (I was wondering my none of the landmarks in my guide book were matching up.) Hence, since I came up that way I went back on the other side of the loop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login