Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Column of the Giants

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2010 07:01AM
There wasn't much love for Peninsula Lake so I didn't bother putting together much else
on that route. It's incredible but I understand ... hardly/if anyone would go that way
(chick-on was the first to even go up Forsyth and Keyes this year... ) (and it's mid Aug!)
It's a long haul... off trail... yadda yadda...

So... Maybe there will be more interest in this... and I'll share...
On the way home I finally took the time to go check out The Column of the Giants.
This has been brought up before when talking about Devil's Postpile and
Little Devil's. Personally I've driven by the columns many times and always thought of
exploring it... thinking it would take a lot of time and effort... well... that's just not correct.
There is a bridge across the river and a very gentle 1/2 mile trail to the base of the
columns. It's located maybe 5 miles west of where Sonora Pass gets closed for the
winter/ Kennedy Meadows.
There is no trail to the top of the columns like at Devil's... but other than that it's
incredibly interesting and well worth the maybe 1 hr you might spend reading the
signs and taking the 1 mile round trip hike.

I took photos of all the signs ... you can read them here seeing a few other photos
of the columns themselves...

Enjoy

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/ColumnOfTheGiants

This is the view from where the trail ends:
August 26, 2010 07:42AM
Very nice. Keep doing this stuff.

Old Dude
Re: Column of the Giants
August 26, 2010 02:01PM
Bill-e-g

Keep posting these things. Just because you don't recieve many comments does'nt mean people are not interested. I, for one really enjoy your postings of different locations and I seriously consider visiting all of them. Some of them I would not know about without you posting them. Please keep it up. BTW I really enjoy the photos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login