All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best day hikes
September 27, 2010 06:18PM
I'm so excited . Only one week and we are there. If you only had two days what are the must do day hikes. I would be okay up to 5 miles round trip. My only problem is time. I want to see as much of the park as I can, but hate the thought of just tooling arround in a car. Thanks in advance!!!
Re: Best day hikes
September 27, 2010 06:32PM
Sentinel Dome hike off of Glacier Point Rd. only 2.2 miles round trip. 360 degree panorama . not crowded at all

First did this in 1992 when the kids were small and it was listed under hikes for small tikes. Big bang for your bucks.
Sentinel

You MUST GO to Glacier Point/Washburn Point anyway, so stop at Sentinel, too

other must do for newcomers
much more elevation change and big steps at times compared to Sentinel

from Happy Isles to Vernal Falls bridge ( below the falls) or up the Mist Trail to above the falls. Latter is 3 miles round trip.
Mist Trail
September 28, 2010 06:43AM
If you go Mist don't stop and turn around at the bridge.
Continue up some to the steps some. Like in his picture in link above.
You may be somewhat disappointed in the volume of water....
come back in mid-late June and see it then too...

Short stuff:
Tuolumne Grove
Lembert Dome
Elizabeth Lake
out Lyell Canyon a bit

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 28, 2010 09:19AM
Go up to Gaylor Lakes, just inside the east entrance. It is steep (you gain 600 feet in the first 1/2 mile), but short (only 3 miles RT), and you are rewarded with access to several sub-alpine lakes and lush, grassy meadows. The 3 miles is a minimum, you can easily add more miles by exploring the area around the lakes. http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/gaylor-lakes/gaylor-lakes.htm
September 28, 2010 10:25AM
The hikes you probably don't want are the ones up Yose Falls (falls is dry and the trail is mighty hot and exposed this time of year) and Snow Creek (also hot and exposed). I second all the suggestions, especially Sentinel Dome, Lembert Dome, and Gaylor Lakes.

Most anything you do in Yosemite will be just awesome. The redwood groves are also nice, you can easily stop by Tuolumne Grove on the way out Tioga Pass toward Gaylor. And stop at Olmstead Point - you don't have to hike even a little for a great view there, but there is also a short easy trail.
September 28, 2010 10:44AM
September 28, 2010 03:51PM
A great short hike is at the Young Lakes trailhead in the high country. Go to Dog Lake, a beautiful lake and only about 2 miles RT. Breathtaking!
September 29, 2010 07:27AM
I agree, Vernal is not as interesting in late summer.
September 29, 2010 07:30AM
I don't understand this forum software. I posted in the bottom box, and it attached my comment about Vernal to the Young Lakes post. (no I didn't click the reply button under his post, the way I did for this one, I simply typed in the box and hit post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 07:32AM by hotrod4x5.
September 29, 2010 08:33AM
If you don't hit "Reply" your post will fall under the opening post of the thread. Hitting "Reply" will put your post under the post you wish to reply to or something like that.
Or maybe not.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 08:35AM by mrcondron.
September 29, 2010 08:48AM
I agree, Sentinel Dome is one of the best. Even better is to combine it with Taft Point and make it a loop hike. The trail along the valley rim has great views.
September 29, 2010 08:33AM
Dele

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 08:34AM by mrcondron.
September 29, 2010 11:23AM
hotrod4x5
I don't understand this forum software. I posted in the bottom box, and it attached my comment about Vernal to the Young Lakes post. (no I didn't click the reply button under his post, the way I did for this one, I simply typed in the box and hit post)

Hit the reply button first if you want to maintain the thread context.
September 28, 2010 04:44PM
Indystone,

You have only two days and a week's worth of excellent suggestions. Oh my! What are you going to do?

I would suggest both the Vernal Fall hike and the Sentinel Dome hike plus Glacier Point overlook the first day. On the second day drive up Tioga Road with a brief stop at Olmstead Point and a hike either to Dog Lake & Lembert Dome or Gaylor Lakes. This will thoroughly fill your two days. If you have time the big trees grove would also be a nice extra the first day but that's really pushing it and I don't know how far you are traveling to get to Yosemite, overnight plans, etc.
September 28, 2010 07:01PM
tomdisco
I would suggest both the Vernal Fall hike

I'd save that one for when there's some water going over the fall:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/plotReal?staid=HIB

Though I have done it without water:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-20061110235352.jpg.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login