Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pohono Trail in November, what should I expect?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Pohono Trail in November, what should I expect?
October 13, 2010 05:19PM
I'd like to do the pohono trail -> panorama trail -> LYV (or happy isles via JMT) with a friend in early november (looking at 5,6,7). What should I expect? I've been looking at weather records via wunderground.com for elevated areas around the valley and it looks like highs in the 50's and 60's with lows in the teens. But I'd like to know from people who may have done portions or all of the trail around that time of year. Should I expect extreme weather? rain? snow? both? Basically, I don't have crampons or an ice axe, I have no problems getting them but I'd like to be the follower during my first time with that equipment rather than the leader.

I love this trail and especially taking it to half dome on day 3 (but i'm scared of heights so I won't do it without the cables).
avatar Re: Pohono Trail in November, what should I expect?
October 13, 2010 09:54PM
It will "probably" be just gorgeous out. Trail with no one on it... mostly... No snow on it.
Glacier Pt. road almost guaranteed to be still open.
Sunrise 7:30am ish - Sunset 6pm ish.
Certainly shouldn't need Crampons or Ice Axe. For that matter you should never
need them on that trail. I certainly wouldn't bring them.
Half Dome cables are down already so take that out of your thinking.

Of course it's possible to be raining (quite possible) or snowing (prob. doubtful)...
just a lot of tent time... or contemplating life under the stars...
I bring 15 bag with poofy jacket and pants for this time of year.
October 13, 2010 10:10PM
Nice! Sounds quite perfect, now I can't wait for it to be november.
October 14, 2010 06:38AM
Conditions vary.... I'm just going by what we have done in the recent past in
v. late Oct to early December. Storm could fly thru and dump 4 ft. of snow
along GP and then they may close it. Or they plow it but you still got snow
on where u wanted to go.
No parking along GP after Oct. 15 so you have to get a ride in somewhere
or start from valley floor or Wawona Tunnel .. (or Chinquapin)
Seems they moved the "road closed" date link... here it is currently:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

Anyway, it will "probably" be gorgeous.
Have fun
October 14, 2010 09:40AM
Yeah, I've done it twice from the valley floor; once from El Cap meadow which sucked, because we kept trying to find "shortcuts" accross the river and we just ended up getting tired wasted an hour or two; and once from wawona tunnel which wasn't bad.

We're going to plan for this and just keep an eye on the weather, if it gets too cold my friend will probably cancel and we'll try to hit something warmer.
November 01, 2010 08:05AM
Wedder looking good right now...
Keeping my feathers crossed it holds...
(going stir crazy in da city)

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 08, 2010 11:24AM
It was pretty awesome!

The first time I did this trail was 2 years ago during the weekend where something like 900 wildfires were started by lightning, so there was a lot of smoke in the valley. Not to mention no water until Bridalveil.

This time it was perfectly clear. We had great views, running water and cool temperatures along the trail. We passed by a group that was going to camp at Dewey or Crocker point, which I might do next time if I want to limit mileage.
We got started at about 11 (way too late) and arrived at Bridalveil creek right around 5, just enough time to set up camp and gather some wood for a fire. Unfortunately there was not a dry thing to be found at the campsite and I spent about 2 hours getting the fire going.

Day 2 we still got started late (10:30), my friend is not a morning person it appears.

I wanted to go by Sentinal Dome but we got started 3 hours later than scheduled so we had to walk the road to Glacier Point and then on to the Panorama trail. We had lunch at Illilouette creek and then continued to LYV. We arrived at LYV about 30 minutes before dark and enjoyed a clear cold night at the group campfire.

On Sunday we slept in a bit and got all packed up just as the drizzle started and made our way down the JMT.

Now the bad part. We couldn't get a ride back to Wawona, nobody stopped, so we walked from the visitors center... not the most fun walk along the road. Although I came up on a family of deer which was cool.
November 08, 2010 11:35AM
ThaFlash_LA
It was pretty awesome!

The first time I did this trail was 2 years ago during the weekend where something like 900 wildfires were started by lightning, so there was a lot of smoke in the valley. Not to mention no water until Bridalveil.

This time it was perfectly clear. We had great views, running water and cool temperatures along the trail. We passed by a group that was going to camp at Dewey or Crocker point, which I might do next time if I want to limit mileage.
We got started at about 11 (way too late) and arrived at Bridalveil creek right around 5, just enough time to set up camp and gather some wood for a fire. Unfortunately there was not a dry thing to be found at the campsite and I spent about 2 hours getting the fire going.

Day 2 we still got started late (10:30), my friend is not a morning person it appears.

I wanted to go by Sentinal Dome but we got started 3 hours later than scheduled so we had to walk the road to Glacier Point and then on to the Panorama trail. We had lunch at Illilouette creek and then continued to LYV. We arrived at LYV about 30 minutes before dark and enjoyed a clear cold night at the group campfire.

On Sunday we slept in a bit and got all packed up just as the drizzle started and made our way down the JMT.

Now the bad part. We couldn't get a ride back to Wawona, nobody stopped, so we walked from the visitors center... not the most fun walk along the road. Although I came up on a family of deer which was cool.

Sounds like a great trip, you walked all that way??? How long did that take??
November 08, 2010 09:59AM
It was incredibly gorgeous out Friday and Sat...

Were you able to go?
November 08, 2010 12:06PM
It took a long time, I think another 2.5-3 hours. Long enough to saturate my Gore-Tex Paclite jacket.
November 08, 2010 01:10PM
From the valley visitor's center all the way to Wawona in three hours? That's gotta be some kind of record, isn't it like 20-30 miles?
November 08, 2010 01:42PM
He's talking the Wawona Tunnel.

Flash,
When a buddy of mine and I did the loop from the tunnel along Pohono and then down
4-mile and back in 2 days we just said screw it and hiked on the trail the entire way
from 4-mile to Bridalveil and up the old road... dropping back down to the TH at Wawona tunnel.
Walking the trail was S of southside drive is pretty nice.

That old road I think is what you are talking about in the other thread. It is pretty
nice to walk on to New Inspiration. Very little deadfall. It continues past Fort Monroe.
Beyond that it continues... but I haven't followed it beyond there. If you want to
get on the Pohono Tr. from there you'll have to bushwhack a bit.
There are decent views if you head on that old road and then head toward Turtleback.
In June you'll find plenty of water ...
November 09, 2010 09:06AM
The Old road is really nice to start for the Pohono trail, I like it because it's so gradual it's a nice warm up for the climb of the pohono trail.

Yeah and that is the old road I was talking about on the other thread. I forgot to make that left at New Inspiration that one time and next thing I knew we were on the opposite side of the mountain.
November 09, 2010 11:05AM
Ohhhh, from the Valley floor to the tunnel, ok, that's doable in a few hours.
November 10, 2010 12:08PM
Yeah if we had to walk to Wawona itself we probably would have sent out the "I'm not okay" on the SPOT and had somebody come pick us up. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login