Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: New photographic perspectives in Yosemite Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

New photographic perspectives in Yosemite Valley
October 15, 2010 12:54AM
tanngrisnir3wrote:

Thanks! I'm thinking specifically of the ones on the south wall of the valley, as I've done some of the ones on the north wall....The south wall is something I've driven by my whole life and never, until recently, considered/thought about ascending, as I'm sure millions of other people have also done.

I'm always looking for new photographic perspectives, and assiduously avoid the photos/places that I briefly mentioned, ala Half Dome from Glacier, etc.... It's like photographing the GG Bridge or the Eifel. Just. Not. Interested.

OK. You want to get off the beaten path to take photos. You have mentioned the previous abandoned trails thread, which lists a lot of places to go: thread

Let's start with a very easy walk that I have mentioned before: The Old Big Oak Flat Road. Doing the whole trail is strenuous, but the bottom mile is easy and perfect for your purpose. You start up the road from the Valley, and almost immediately get above the trees that carpet the valley floor. As you gradually ascend, the view of Bridalveil Falls just gets better and better. You've seen a zillion photos of Bridalveil Falls from the tunnel and from Inspiration Point. But the view from the first mile of the old road is even better. The road is not steep and you can't get lost on this section (before the missing switchback). Here are four views from one point about a mile into the road, taken May 2003. The first two look across the valley:

These two are from the same spot on the road. The view on the left show El Cap, the Four Mile Trail, and Half Dome. In the foreground you can see what the old road is like here. The one on the right looks up at Ribbon Falls

Beyond this point it's not far to the the missing switchbacks. If you continue on past there and past the pipe railing, you get to some valley views that are hard to get anywhere else. Here are two: The first shows the top of the Cascade from a different angle. The second shows the base of the Old Coulterville Road hike. You'll see the river and Highway 140 at the bottom. That big boulder next to the road is a prominent landmark just west of the Cascade bridge and parking lot; there is a fine pullout right there. Millions of people drive by here without realizing that the old road up to Foresta still exists, almost, and is an easy bushwhack hike. You see it ascending up to the left.

Now I have to apologize to tanngrisnir3. He wanted vantage points on the south side of the valley. Perhaps I'll post some tomorrow. Most of my photos are analog and unsorted. I'll see what I can find.
October 15, 2010 06:24AM
Me likey! Thanks!

Give me a bit to get some coffee, and I'll respond in detail.
avatar Re: New photographic perspectives in Yosemite Valley
October 15, 2010 06:27AM
You've probably been here already... but here it is anyway:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,24658,24658#msg-24658

wherever... grrreat stuff as usual... looks like you ventured off the road to get
the shots of the cascades... other great features to spy from that road...
Silver Strand, Widows Tears, and Elephant Rock

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 11:22AM by bill-e-g.
October 15, 2010 09:41AM
bill-e-q wrote:

...looks like you ventured off the [abandoned Old Big Oak Flat] road to get
the shots of the cascades... other great features to spy from that road...
Silver Strand, Widows Tears, and Elephant Rock

Less than a hundred yards. There is an outcrop with a view, as I recall. I went there trying to get a clear shot of Elephant Rock, but there was too much smoky haze in that direction...

Silver Strand is nice, when it is running. Here is the view taken that day of Silver Strand Falls, with Old Inspiration Point on the right and Stanford Point on the left. Below it is the view of the falls from Old Inspiration Point, taken on another trip:

As for Thompson Canyon (the one by Colonel Wells Peak?), I haven't been up that way since my youth...
October 16, 2010 08:02AM
wherever
tanngrisnir3wrote:

Thanks! I'm thinking specifically of the ones on the south wall of the valley, as I've done some of the ones on the north wall....The south wall is something I've driven by my whole life and never, until recently, considered/thought about ascending, as I'm sure millions of other people have also done.

I'm always looking for new photographic perspectives, and assiduously avoid the photos/places that I briefly mentioned, ala Half Dome from Glacier, etc.... It's like photographing the GG Bridge or the Eifel. Just. Not. Interested.

OK. You want to get off the beaten path to take photos. You have mentioned the previous abandoned trails thread, which lists a lot of places to go: thread

Let's start with a very easy walk that I have mentioned before: The Old Big Oak Flat Road. Doing the whole trail is strenuous, but the bottom mile is easy and perfect for your purpose. You start up the road from the Valley, and almost immediately get above the trees that carpet the valley floor. As you gradually ascend, the view of Bridalveil Falls just gets better and better. You've seen a zillion photos of Bridalveil Falls from the tunnel and from Inspiration Point. But the view from the first mile of the old road is even better. The road is not steep and you can't get lost on this section (before the missing switchback). Here are four views from one point about a mile into the road, taken May 2003. The first two look across the valley:

These two are from the same spot on the road. The view on the left show El Cap, the Four Mile Trail, and Half Dome. In the foreground you can see what the old road is like here. The one on the right looks up at Ribbon Falls

Beyond this point it's not far to the the missing switchbacks. If you continue on past there and past the pipe railing, you get to some valley views that are hard to get anywhere else. Here are two: The first shows the top of the Cascade from a different angle. The second shows the base of the Old Coulterville Road hike. You'll see the river and Highway 140 at the bottom. That big boulder next to the road is a prominent landmark just west of the Cascade bridge and parking lot; there is a fine pullout right there. Millions of people drive by here without realizing that the old road up to Foresta still exists, almost, and is an easy bushwhack hike. You see it ascending up to the left.

Now I have to apologize to tanngrisnir3. He wanted vantage points on the south side of the valley. Perhaps I'll post some tomorrow. Most of my photos are analog and unsorted. I'll see what I can find.

Just going from memory (never having stopped and taken it) is that road the one that has one end/start point on North Side Road where the Park Service sort of dumps/stores old dead trees and such?

I'll be there on Halloween (first time ever!) to w/the g/f for photography, and will give one of these a go.
October 16, 2010 08:26AM
tanngrisnir3
Just going from memory (never having stopped and taken it) is that road the one that has one end/start point on North Side Road where the Park Service sort of dumps/stores old dead trees and such?

and such:

(unfortunately they're not there anymore though)
October 16, 2010 09:17AM
You wrote:

I'll be there on Halloween (first time ever!) to w/the g/f for photography, and will give one of these a go.

No, you are describing the valley end of the Old Big Oak Flat Road, from which that picture was taken. The Old Coulterville Road was farther west, and hit the valley just west of the Cascade. See this thread: Coulterville Road thread
October 16, 2010 08:58AM
Another angle of the dangle:

April 04, 2011 03:44PM
ha, love the labels... I wouldn't be able to identify any of them.
March 27, 2011 12:55AM
Wherever, if you are still around, can you private msg me? I would love to have a few of your images. By any chance you have night images too?
May 23, 2011 05:34PM
One from the south taken on Friday:

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2011 06:07PM
chick-on
One from the south taken on Friday:

Nice!
May 23, 2011 07:12PM
Nice look at the Three Brothers and Eagle Peak.Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2011 09:55PM
You might like the one here:
Old Inspiration Pt. - a place in the park where you can see 4 of Yosemites named Wa-wa falls
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,36402,36558#msg-36558

May 24, 2011 05:42AM
chick-on
You might like the one here:
Old Inspiration Pt. - a place in the park where you can see 4 of Yosemites named Wa-wa falls
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,36402,36558#msg-36558

Ha! So you did get to the far side of Old Inspiration Point without falling off.

Is the semi-impenetrable thicket there easier to get through with some snow on it? It gets pretty bad by late summer.
May 24, 2011 06:06AM
wherever
Ha! So you did get to the far side of Old Inspiration Point without falling off.

Is the semi-impenetrable thicket there easier to get through with some snow on it? It gets pretty bad by late summer.

It wasn't bad at all. It looked like this. Snowshoes still on at this point.

Maybe the approach has more to deal with. It was covered in feet of snow... but I have doubts since it is pretty
dense forest to this location. Need to go back later in the year now... and later in the day.
The shot above of El Cap head-on is east of your "Tree Chute" route. I contemplated going up that way but wanted to see
Old Inspiration Pt. Maybe next time. Thanks for all your knowledge. I might still be in Indian Canyon w/o you.
Other comment is the head-on shot shows me once again and for the millionth time that they put the trail in the wrong spot
so often. As you have mentioned that area there is pretty spectacular. Lots of spires and just great views.
Thanks again

May 24, 2011 07:28PM
Thanks. Last time I was there, the approach was no problem. Just steep, open forest. Old Inspiration Point is connected to the rest of the world by a little saddle, and getting to that point was easy. But the point itself was covered with dense brush, head-high. In some places you had to get down on your knees and crawl under, or give up and back off. What finally worked was to traverse around the right edge, way to the outside. Of course, that's where the best views are, anyway.

I was there in late summer. Most of these brush patches pack down a lot over the winter, then grow back in late Spring.
May 23, 2011 10:48PM
Been climbing up the big talus into The Rockslides for years via a poison oakey shortcut near Black Springs. Now you know why they name that point out there along the trail...Rainbow View.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 10:50PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login