Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Howdy From A Newby in Texas!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Howdy From A Newby in Texas!
October 26, 2010 11:19AM
I am very glad to discover this site--there was a reference to it on the Whitney site.

Anyway, I come there every year for a week to 10 days. This past Sept. I came with my 14 y.o. daughter and we hiked from White Wolf up over Ten Lakes Basin down to Glen Aulin and out; and then to Twenty Lakes Basin and then headed down to Bishop to watch the Perseids from up high (camped over 12k) and hiked around the Palisades area. Fun time.

Anyway, this coming year, me and my bro are coming, in August I believe. I think we will do the HSC loop (food only, camping). In addition to just the loop, we are going to do side trips that are not the usual suspects, such as Mt. Simmons via Vogel Pass and maybe even Lyell/MacClure. My Bro wants to do Mt. Clark.

I have these reasonably well mapped out. Questions, if anyone knows: Lyell/MacClure--it seems there's a drainage I can go up from Gallison Lake area, and approach Lyell from the opposite side people normally do. Anyone have any beta on this approach?

On Clark--what's the best appraoch to it?

A little about me--I am NOT a "peak bagger"--I go try something, and if it's beyond my abilities or I can't find the approach, I bag it and head somewheres else. I realize a couple of these routes might be a little innovative, but I thought someone might have some info or experience about them?

Many thanks!
October 26, 2010 12:37PM
And a howdy right back at you. Whereabouts in Texas? I moved to this area from Houston.
avatar Re: Howdy From A Newby in Texas!
October 26, 2010 01:52PM
steelfrog
I have these reasonably well mapped out. Questions, if anyone knows: Lyell/MacClure--it seems there's a drainage I can go up from Gallison Lake area, and approach Lyell from the opposite side people normally do. Anyone have any beta on this approach?

On Clark--what's the best appraoch to it?

High der.

Re: Simmons and Lyell/Maclure
Read this and look at the pix:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,28505,28751#msg-28751

Thought I had a map of the route we went. Can put one up if you want.
Simmons def. no biggie IMO from Gallison. By no biggie I mean that
there isn't really any class 4 stuff you need to worry about up to Simmons.

Prob. you will say no way going over Hell Hole though to get to Lyell/Mac.
if you normally carry a big pack.
I'll look tonight for pictures looking up at Simmons from the "drainage".

Re: Clark
Haven't been to the top myself yet... but if you are not a "peak bagger"
I'd be surprised if you can get to the top. The "best" way is up to debate
but I loved going up Clark Canyon. Other worthwhile way is via
Starr King which you should check out anyway someday.
Even if you don't go up Clark getting close to the NW Arete will still
be worth it.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 26, 2010 03:10PM
Thanks--good stuff; I will consult these further. The Moose is inspirational isn't she!?
October 26, 2010 03:38PM
From Big D, although originally from St. Louis Missoura.
October 26, 2010 08:38PM
steelfrog
From Big D, although originally from St. Louis Missoura.

I worked for a large professional color photo lab in Dallas for many years. Lived in Garland, within easy walking distance of Lake Ray Hubbard.
October 26, 2010 08:02PM
Put more for you here re. Simmons.

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Lyell

Unfortunately only Billy wuz wit me so no pix with peeps in them other than
at Lyell to give perspectives.

Have fun

October 27, 2010 07:07AM
Thanks, Chick. This is great.

So, I had planned (using map only) to do essentially your route from Vogelsang Pass, past Gallison Lake and up that drainage to Hell's Hole Pass, but at the top of Hell Hole, hang a right (SSE) and traverse that ridge up to MacClure. You've got a labelled pic in there that seems to indicate that might be do-able. What say you?
October 27, 2010 08:21AM
It looked definitely challenging to me. I put 3 more pix for you in that set looking at Mac ...

Secor say Maclure is class 4 from the NW.
The pictures probably don't give you the thrill you will get when you see it in person...
Def. looked class 4+ to me from my vantage pt. Just remember looking up and
saying "hmm... that looks pretty hard" and then continuing down to Mac. Lake (which
I "had" to touch)

Thanks for this exchange btw. You make me want to go to Hell Hole and then traverse
S ... drop down.. then go up Mt. Florence from the S or SW. The Cony Crags
are pretty cool too. If went that way I'd check those out again. When went there once
gave up trying to get to the tippy top. Wondering to myself if I've gotten any better
at scaling dangerous items...

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 08:22AM by chick-on.
October 27, 2010 08:56AM
Ya, that looks Epic! Electra and Rodgers peaks as well, maybe. I could spend a month back there!
October 27, 2010 01:54PM
Just don't spend an Epoch there. wink

October 28, 2010 07:42AM
One comment. If you look at the map of Bernice... you'll see I went up towards
Gallison and then up Lewis Creek. This route is much easier to start with than simply
heading up almost due east from Bernice.

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login