All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

How low is the snow supposed to get by 11/20? In the Valley?
November 19, 2010 03:19PM
The g/f is insisting on a last minute photo trip over this weekend to finally get her coveted 'Valley in the snow' pics, and I can't seem to find how low down it's predicted to be.

Anyone?

See you in CC.
Re: How low is the snow supposed to get by 11/20? In the Valley?
November 19, 2010 04:14PM
Good luck with that, I think it's too early in the year. You have to be there when it snow to get pictures of the snow on the trees. By noon it is all off the trees from wind and melt.
avatar Re: How low is the snow supposed to get by 11/20? In the Valley?
November 19, 2010 05:01PM
November 20, 2010 09:25AM
szalkowski
NOAA:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.74465712069939&lon=-119.586181640625&site=hnx&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Added note:

When I posted the above link, they were actually stating that the snow level in that vicinity was predicted to be around 5.2k for Friday and Friday night.

One can, however, easily use the website to estimate the predicted snow level near the location at which one is interested. The computer calculations for the NOAA forecasts appear to use cells with the dimensions 1.5 miles square (shown as a red square on the map). The coordinates and elevation associated with the displayed predictions are shown in the upper left under the heading "Point Forecast" (the actual point being designated by a cross on the map). If one moves the mouse pointer and single left-clicks on a point outside of the red square, the forecast for the cell that contains that new point will be displayed (and the map position also updated). By simply stepping the point forecast to higher or lower elevations and noting where the forecast swiches from "snow" to "rain/snow" will allow you to estimate the predicted snow level in that area.
November 20, 2010 02:47PM
szalkowski
When I posted the above link, they were actually stating that the snow level in that vicinity was predicted to be around 5.2k for Friday and Friday night.

That was a bit off. It snowed in Oakhurst last night.
November 21, 2010 07:16AM
eeek
szalkowski

That was a bit off. It snowed in Oakhurst last night.

The actual prediction on the site was for 100% probability of snow at the forecast point of 4.8k for that time period, so the 5.2k may actually have been a typo. I didn't bother interrogating lower elevations at the time to see where the snow/rain interface was predicted.
November 20, 2010 06:23AM
She can insist. Tell her she needs to bring her own snow... only sure way to have it.
November 20, 2010 07:10AM
There is snow in the valley this morning and more on the way.
November 20, 2010 07:42AM
A waterproof camera might be the ticket!
November 21, 2010 03:00AM
You can use the webcams to see what it's like in they valley at the time you look.

Yosemite Conservancy, Ahwahnee Meadow, Sentinel Dome, Turtleback Dome
USGS Happy Isles webcam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 03:01AM by qumqats.
November 21, 2010 08:15AM
qumqats
You can use the webcams to see what it's like in they valley at the time you look.

Yosemite Conservancy, Ahwahnee Meadow, Sentinel Dome, Turtleback Dome
USGS Happy Isles webcam

You can just scroll below ... there is a link to the webcams right on this site.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 20, 2010 01:38PM
How far down is it going to snow? All the way to the ground!! Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Used to live in Mammoth and when the flatlanders would ask us that question that was our answer...Anyways check out Yosemite Association's web cams and you'll see that it did and probably will snow some more in the valley. Have fun!

Tom
November 21, 2010 08:34AM
I used to live in Avery, CA many years ago at 3,500'. We averaged about 6" of snow each winter. A few miles up the road was Arnold at 4,000'. They tended to have some kind of snow cover much of the winter. I realize Arnold and Yosemite Valley have little in common other than the same Sierra altitude but it should give you an idea what a 500' change in altitude can mean in terms of snow cover.
November 21, 2010 09:15PM
Just got back a few hours ago. Not so much yesterday by way of it actually snowing, but this morning, at Curry? MAN, did it snow overnight and catch a LOT of people unawares.

Good thing we chained up the jalopy before going to bed.

Pics to follow shortly.
November 21, 2010 10:18PM
But is the GF happy??

Old Dude
November 22, 2010 05:21AM
mrcondron
But is the GF happy??

Oh, yeah. Ecstatic over the amount of snow, her photos, the whole bit.
November 22, 2010 06:41AM
tanngrisnir3
Just got back a few hours ago. Not so much yesterday by way of it actually snowing, but this morning, at Curry? MAN, did it snow overnight and catch a LOT of people unawares.

Good thing we chained up the jalopy before going to bed.

Pics to follow shortly.

This always baffles me... 100% chance o snow usually means there's a purty
good chance of it probably snowing more than likey. This storm was a done deal...
not a maybe... thus my booty stay at home. Although the thought crossed my
mind... it's pretty magical to watch is snow down in the valley...
trying to keep a couple feets of snow off me... that's another story.

Glad u enjoyed...
Looking forward to a couple of ur pix. (even a tunnel view one is ok) (har har)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login