All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

First snow of year at Yosemite, first pics w/new LX5. Lessons learned....
November 22, 2010 07:55AM
Just got back yesterday evening after a weekend for at Yosemite w/the g/f for the first snowfall of the year, and the weather did not disappoint. This was the first time ever for using my LX5, and everything was shot manual. I shot RAW and 'fine' .jpg, and everything here is .jpg, since I only have Silkypix and have zero idea thus far how to use it to my liking. Saturday night dumped another foot (at least) on the valley.

Lesson 1: I kept looking for a long exposure function, as I had to do in my old FS7, and then, after driving out of the park, it occurred to me, "Hey, Jackass, just leave the shutter open for a long time. It's full manual, you can do that." Oi! I wish I'd thought of that for the moonrise over Valley View, but I'm so used to the camera having computer-driven options that something so simple just didn't occur to me.

Lesson 2: I could have just converted all my RW2 files over to .tiffs and THEN worked on them in Photoscape, or something else I'm familiar with, but that, too, didn't occur to me until I'd already spent time working on .jpgs.

The famous elm in Cook's Meadow, w/Halfdome juuuust coming through the mist

The classic Valley View shot, that I usually avoid like the plague, but this one caught my eye because of the one, single yellow leaf at the bottom. I'm also happy that I could get El Cap Gully in at the left side of the shot.

Fallen tree, Merced River, Cathedral Beach

Same thing, different reflective view

Another warhorse: the famous copse of trees in Awahnee Meadow. Just enough color on top to keep it interesting.

Snow on fallen tree, Merced River, looking west from the bridge if one turns left on South Side Drive i/o going right to Curry. I can never remember the name.

Looking NE from other side of bridge.

Royal Arches B&W

Finally, the shot I wish I'd had a much longer shutter open for. The moon was out for literally 1 minute. I'm converting it to a .tiff from RAW and letting my pro g/f work on it in Lightroom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 07:57AM by tanngrisnir3.
Re: First snow of year at Yosemite, first pics w/new LX5. Lessons learned....
November 22, 2010 09:24AM
Awesome shots! thanks!
avatar Re: First snow of year at Yosemite, first pics w/new LX5. Lessons learned....
November 22, 2010 09:42AM
Berry nice. Thanks.

Couple comments.

First snow actually occured on Oct. 3rd. Maybe not in the valley but in Yosemite...

To me... photos are like food... very subjective. There are loads of Ansel Adams
photos which people love which I think are ho hum. I'm saying this b/c I've
thought this for awhile... and u keep mentioning ur pro g/f and implying ur photos
are far inferior to hers. I think urs are darn nice.... and a pro is just someone who
got paid imo... heck, I get paid a ridiculous sum for what I do... aint life grand?

Wifey bought a photo of I think it's Stoneman bridge. Pissed me off royally.
Hate it hate hate hate it. Told her I have 10's of thousands of photos I like better
than that. smiling smiley It's hanging in our house but it means nothing to me. Some goofy
pict. of an old dude on a log in the rain is better imb than that.

Anyway, please keep posting pix
Chick-on is looking at you!

avatar Re: First snow of year at Yosemite, first pics w/new LX5. Lessons learned....
November 22, 2010 09:45AM
Looked again... all these are better than my bridge picture.
(but i'm not bitter)

November 22, 2010 10:20AM
chick-on
Berry nice. Thanks.

Couple comments.

First snow actually occured on Oct. 3rd. Maybe not in the valley but in Yosemite...

To me... photos are like food... very subjective. There are loads of Ansel Adams
photos which people love which I think are ho hum. I'm saying this b/c I've
thought this for awhile... and u keep mentioning ur pro g/f and implying ur photos
are far inferior to hers. I think urs are darn nice.... and a pro is just someone who
got paid imo... heck, I get paid a ridiculous sum for what I do... aint life grand?

Wifey bought a photo of I think it's Stoneman bridge. Pissed me off royally.
Hate it hate hate hate it. Told her I have 10's of thousands of photos I like better
than that. smiling smiley It's hanging in our house but it means nothing to me. Some goofy

Anyway, please keep posting pix

Thanks! Glad you like them.

She's actually quite the talent, and she uses a 5D, so I'm quite irrationally jealous (but isn't all jealousy irrational?) of her sensor and the details she gets (and her reach, w/her zooms) but suffice it to say we have very different 'eye's, so to speak, and I have a passionate distaste towards the shots that everyone on the planet shoots over and over (Tunnel View, Golden Gate Bridge, Whitney shot through that goddamned Mobius Arch, etc...)

Nevertheless, I am happy that my new camera is happily giving me extreme camera happiness.

Oh, and I'm slightly jealous of you because you seem to have pics of every last damned thing/place up there that I could ever think to ask about. That's worth a lot, believe me.
November 22, 2010 01:09PM
Thanks for the photos. They are really great. I'm always a sucker for terrific snow covered tree shots, especially those Elms.
November 22, 2010 03:27PM
tanngrisnir3
Oh, and I'm slightly jealous of you because you seem to have pics of every last damned thing/place up there that I could ever think to ask about. That's worth a lot, believe me.

Dear tanngrisnir3,

Sorry to break it to you, but it's Goatie, not Chick-on, that takes those photos.

From our vantage point, Chick-on is usually either sitting there watching some ants or chasing the wind.
[Once we watched him inadvertantly run into a Manzanita bush and get lost for several hours. The squawking was something horrible!]

(SurreptitiouslySurveillantly Yours)
The Marmots
November 25, 2010 08:56AM
chick-on
Some goofy

Rolling on floor laugh
November 25, 2010 09:08AM
Excellent photos tanngrisnir3.

I like the Royal Arches, but my preference from the ones you show is the El Cap shot.

Thought about taking my 20D and 10-22 lens into the backcountry a few times but I always ditch it at the last moment due to it bulkiness. Besides when on the trail and you got a semi-schedule, I think its best to have a point and shoot.

BTW, my point and shoot (Canon SD-1100 IS) literally froze on me on one trip in the snow- not allowing me to take a photo until well into late in the morning. Since then, I always keep the camera in my bag. smiling smiley
November 22, 2010 03:17PM
So--I have an LX-3. I was thinking maybe the LX-5, or waiting until the LX-7? Anyone have any ideas about a small camera that would be great for backpacking? Or anything that could allow for good pics. I like my LX-3, but it is somewhat limited in ability to get "different" pics such as long exposure, etc.
November 22, 2010 04:07PM
steelfrog
So--I have an LX-3. I was thinking maybe the LX-5, or waiting until the LX-7? Anyone have any ideas about a small camera that would be great for backpacking? Or anything that could allow for good pics. I like my LX-3, but it is somewhat limited in ability to get "different" pics such as long exposure, etc.

Argh. That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. There are INNUMERABLE and, frankly, ultra annoying web discussions/arguments about which is better, and a bunch of people who claim the updated iA functions, noise reduction, in-camera sharpening, etc.... make the LX5 a terrible upgrade from the LX3, and they are STRIDENT in that approach.

You can usually hear the air being let out of their balloons when someone comes along and mentions not only the better technology that the LX5 has, the better lens, better zoom, bigger sensor, etc.... but, should one not want or like those features like NR, one can simply....(wait for it)......turn them off.

The LX3 is a great, great camera. I have seen plenty of DSLR-quality shots. Stunning shots. But the LX5 is even more, IMHO, capable. Seeing as it just came out (and I just bought one) I don't want to even think about any LX7.

It would be great for backpacking, esp if you took along an extra battery, or had the EVF from Panny. Really cuts down on the juice.

Here's another example:

Bridalveil Falls w/about 1 1/2 of the 3 Cathedral Rocks visible. This little camera carries a very, very big stick.

As we were just briefly discussing my g/f, and what/how she photos, here's a shot she did Sunday, with me, at Cathedral Beach, with a mucho high-end (in comparison to my camera) Canon 5D. I can only link to it since it's protected. THAT's what a big, fat, juicy Canon sensor does with big, fat, juicy lenses. NOT something I (or she) will ever be willing to take too far into the back country. Not only heavy and having more things that need to go with it, but you drop/smash/otherwise break one of those Canon L lenses out there, and you're out at least $2000+

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinblackphotography/5198915620/#/photos/robinblackphotography/5198915620/lightbox/
November 22, 2010 05:17PM
Love the Cath Rocks photo.
You can see how getting up Mid. from Gunsight is ... rope gonna be required...

I use the Panny Lumix DMC-ZS7. IMO it's great for backpacking b/c it's
pretty small and lightweight. Fits nicely into a "modern day" backpack
hip belt pocket. I especially like the 12x Optical Zoom. As far as how good
of pictures it takes... I dunno... I'm just a picture taker... not a photographer...

November 23, 2010 05:11AM
chick-on
Love the Cath Rocks photo.
You can see how getting up Mid. from Gunsight is ... rope gonna be required...

I use the Panny Lumix DMC-ZS7. IMO it's great for backpacking b/c it's
pretty small and lightweight. Fits nicely into a "modern day" backpack
hip belt pocket. I especially like the 12x Optical Zoom. As far as how good
of pictures it takes... I dunno... I'm just a picture taker... not a photographer...

I LOVE the ZS7, and having started w/an FS7 originally, I seriously thought about picking on up, but I don't need the zoom, and the ZS5 w/out the GPS might have made sense, but I wanted a sensor and the glass that the LX5 has.

As for the gunsight, having driven by it twice in three weeks and stopped just to observe it, AND having seen the pics posted of how to get up it, it itself looks like one might need ropes, esp to get down.
November 22, 2010 08:36PM
Some really nice shots. Cameras do not make a photographer great, but a good photographer can use a good camera to make great photos. It doesn't matter if someone uses a 5D or 1dsMark IV or your LX5, if they don't know what they are doing, their shots are still going to suck.
November 23, 2010 07:26AM
Couple of questions:

When working in Manual with the LX5, do you use a tripod?

Second--have you tried (or thought about) using the filter that's available, which supposedly makes outdoor photog better?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-LPL52-52mm-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B001ISKNLE/ref=pd_sim_p_3
November 23, 2010 07:26AM
Oh--one more--do you think under any circumstances that the LX5 would be able to capture the Milky Way?
November 23, 2010 09:15AM
steelfrog
Oh--one more--do you think under any circumstances that the LX5 would be able to capture the Milky Way?
I wouldn't see why not. Pretty sure camera is v. similar to the Canon S80... if not better...

Here's a shot taken from Penn. Lake earlier this year:
(taken by a friend... stolen by me... but he used my tripod... so ... here you go)

November 23, 2010 09:19AM
steelfrog

If it has a time setting you could probably go for up to a minute or two without the Earth's rotation skewing the stars as long as the zoom feature is not used. This would provide a more revealing view of the galaxy.
November 23, 2010 10:40AM
tomdisco
steelfrog

If it has a time setting you could probably go for up to a minute or two without the Earth's rotation skewing the stars as long as the zoom feature is not used. This would provide a more revealing view of the galaxy.

You can see some movement of the stars after as little as 30seconds, particularly if you're zoomed in. Your stars can quickly become ovoids instead of dots. Good astro shots are best done with a fast lens.
November 23, 2010 10:53AM
http://www.redbubble.com/people/ccdoh1/journal/1405534-tutorial-photographing-the-milky-way-with-a-standard-dslr-camera

Here's a technique that uses a blending of 20 second exposures, which will have less blur than longer ones.
November 23, 2010 10:15PM
Sweet photos. The occasional, tiny color features in several photos make a big contribution to the interest of the scenes for me. They bring to mind the late 19th century-early 20th century landscape painters that would place an animal or human in a corner of the photo to enhance the grandeur of the landscape. The color in the leaves or stream seem to enhance the overall colorlessness (black/white) of the composition.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 23, 2010 08:16AM
steelfrog
Couple of questions:

Second--have you tried (or thought about) using the filter that's available, which supposedly makes outdoor photog better?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-LPL52-52mm-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B001ISKNLE/ref=pd_sim_p_3
Steel, for that filter, I suggest you read this http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/polarizing-filter.html

A polarizer is a great outdoor tool, but you have to know when and how to use it.
November 23, 2010 08:56AM
steelfrog
Couple of questions:

I almost always use a tripod w/the LX5, since landscape and architecture are what I'm almost always shooting. It helps with a lot of things, but I can turn off the NR and other computer-driven functions in the camera and get a much more 'pure' shot, w/less of the effects (if any, at all) that they can bring.

The shots you see above were taken with a circular polarizer (except the moonlight one) made by B&W or Tiffen, IIRC.

As far as capturing astronomical features, oh, yeah. Check out the pics of the setups some people have here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&message=36808694&q=telescope&qf=m

That's some serious stuff.
November 26, 2010 10:24PM
REALLY nice photos!
November 28, 2010 09:25AM
All I can say is WOW! Thank you so much for posting these pictures - awesome!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login