All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Favorite snowshoe trail?
November 23, 2010 07:16PM
Ok, so we purchased snowshoes and plan to do Dewey Point from Badger, but looking for other suggestions for snowshoeing trips?
avatar Re: Favorite snowshoe trail?
November 23, 2010 09:19PM
Lookie here for the maintained snowshoe trails:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

They have brochures for Badger Pass, Crane Flat, and Mariposa Grove.

Any of the Sequoia Groves are pretty neat to snowshoe into...
Dewey is a must do IMO. (I really do not like GP road at all though)

Favorite? Hmm... well... uh... that'd be a trail we busted by ourself.

I've posted a number in the past...

But... for newbie... you prob. want to stay on maintained trail... you'll
find out for yourself that it is one heck of a lot harder to make new
trail than it is to follow a trampled path...

Have fun
Re: Favorite snowshoe trail?
November 24, 2010 08:14AM
We do Mariposa Grove every year. Think I will try an overnight this year.

There is a flagged loop over in Sequoia, out of Wolverton, that's pretty neat. Also going to Tokopah Falls this December - short, good for newbie snowshoers.
November 24, 2010 12:06PM
how much weight can you pack while wearing snowshoes??
November 24, 2010 12:33PM
You get different sized snowshoes for your weight, be sure to add in your pack as well. The largest ones are good up to around 250lbs.
November 24, 2010 01:42PM
If you get the kinds that let you add on tails (like MSR) it's easy to use a pair of snowshoes for packing weight or dayhiking. MSRs can be used without tails, or you add 4" or 8" tails if you weigh more (add a backpack).
November 24, 2010 03:46PM
Thanks you all...have a happy chick-on day....all hail the bird
November 24, 2010 05:04PM
smiling smiley

I cannot stress it enough.... get the SMALLEST/LIGHTEST pair that works with your weight.
I weight 150-ish... and I bought MSR 22" last year after using 30" shoes....
Even with a fully loaded pack they work just fine in the Sierra snow. They've been tested
even right after a snow dumped over a foot of snow on us. MSR 22" is rated up to 180 lbs btw.
November 25, 2010 12:17AM
bill-e-g
smiling smiley

I cannot stress it enough.... get the SMALLEST/LIGHTEST pair that works with your weight.
Even with a fully loaded pack they work just fine in the Sierra snow. They've been tested
even right after a snow dumped over a foot of snow on us. MSR 22" is rated up to 180 lbs btw.

Weight obviously isn't a problem, but can Chick-on squeeze into the 30" ones?
November 25, 2010 08:30AM
szalkowski
bill-e-g
smiling smiley

Weight obviously isn't a problem, but can Chick-on squeeze into the 30" ones?

Chick-on uses the same shoes:

Well, I was borrowing the 30's from the Goat until I followed suit and got the 22's. I completely agree with the Goat. I can add that when traveling longer distances, lifting up a 22 is a BIG difference than lifting up a 30- even if you lose floatation and whatnot. 22 is the was to go. I think the new MSR models allow for a rather expensive (50 bucks!) length add on though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login