Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Favorite full moon hike in Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Favorite full moon hike in Yosemite?
December 12, 2010 08:36AM
Full moon is coming up. Looking for suggestions on a trail to hit at night. We've got snowshoes if you have a suggestion for a snowy one. I'm assuming we should stick to well marked trails or trails we know so we don't get lost. Figured one of the valley loops would be easy, but still looking for ideas.
avatar Re: Favorite full moon hike in Yosemite?
December 12, 2010 09:17AM
December 12, 2010 09:37AM
Doesn't fit our schedule unfortunately.
December 13, 2010 10:11AM
The next full moon is a lunar eclipse. The problem is that it rises Tuesday at 12:14am PST

Don't forget the Geminid meteor shower tonight. This is a rare shower comes from an asteroid instead of a comet. That makes it rockier. Some reports say we should expect 50 to 80 meteors per hour.

To find Gemini, where these meteors will appear to be coming from, find Orion. Gemini should be to the left, across the Milky Way.
December 13, 2010 01:25PM
Dave
The next full moon is a lunar eclipse. The problem is that it rises Tuesday at 12:14am PST

How could that be? The full moon always rises at sunset.
December 13, 2010 02:15PM
Always rises at sunset? I think they call that one the "Harvest Moon", usually in the fall months. Could be wrong. Any Astronomy type people want to jump in on this?
December 13, 2010 03:52PM
mtn man
Always rises at sunset? I think they call that one the "Harvest Moon", usually in the fall months. Could be wrong. Any Astronomy type people want to jump in on this?

Think about the geometry of a full moon and you'll see why it must rise at sunset.
December 13, 2010 08:32PM
Harvest Moon:
the full moon that is seen nearest to the time of the autumnal equinox.

Old Dude
December 13, 2010 03:40PM
eeek
Dave

How could that be? The full moon always rises at sunset.

It sure will rise around sunset. The eclipse will happen later, something like 0817 UTC, entering penumbra before that. We are 8 hours behind UTC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 03:43PM by Dave.
December 13, 2010 06:47PM
Yes, the full moon rises just after sunset. And each day it rises about 45 mins later.

This is why, in photography, if you want to photography a sunlit scene (by late afternoon light) and also have a near full moon in the photo, you must do it a day or two before the actual full moon.
December 13, 2010 03:19PM
He got his dates wrong I guess... the moon won't be full until another week after the 12:14 am rise.

You can find moonrise/set at weather sites like intellicast, for example:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA9249

Click on extended forecast and it will show you sunrise/sunset moonrise/set for all the dates ahead.

Full moon always rises at sunset. Always has.. at least since I came out of the egg.

Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 14, 2010 07:29AM
Does it rise at sunset in all U.S. time zones?
December 14, 2010 08:40AM
mtn man
Yes
December 14, 2010 10:26AM
However there is an exact moment when the moon is exactly totally full.

Old Dude
December 14, 2010 05:15PM
December 14, 2010 05:29PM
chick-on
Maybe dis help:
http://www.almanac.com/content/when-will-moon-rise-today

But this is much more useful:
http://www.almanac.com/content/setting-chicken-eggs-moons-sign

Useful, but confused completely about egg color.
December 14, 2010 02:20PM
mtn man

Yes, and for the same reason that a lunar eclipse is always during a full moon.
December 14, 2010 04:06PM
What about in Alaska? Full moon rises at midnight in the summer? (I'm working ya', aren't I?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 04:14PM by mtn man.
December 14, 2010 04:48PM
mtn man
What about in Alaska? Full moon rises at midnight in the summer? (I'm working ya', aren't I?)

It's called the 'Midnight Moron Moon' in both Alaska and Arizona.
December 17, 2010 08:23AM
Yes, of course a full Moon rises at sunset. Yes, it may be observable both earlier and later in the day near polar locations, or not, depending on time of year and the pole's angle of inclination to the Sun. It's likely neither can be seen for a few days each year at the poles.

It takes a few hours for the Earth to get in the way sufficiently enough to begin eclipsing the Moon. The entire event covers a number of hours. The eclipse will not appear quite the same everywhere on Earth due to perspective from different latitudes.
December 17, 2010 08:33AM
Just my luck, this is the second time I have gone to Yosemite during a full moon and both times overcast skies are predicted. darn darn darn!
March 27, 2011 12:49AM
Anybody have pictures of the super full moon on March 19th? Would have been a nice site during one of these hikes.
April 02, 2011 01:12AM
My cousin was there around that time. Let me see if she has any pictures of the moon then.
April 02, 2011 10:26AM
I would be interested in this as well!!
April 04, 2011 10:49AM
Sorry, she didn't capture any pictures of the moon, or pictures really. She forgot her camera at home.
April 04, 2011 02:28PM
Haha... yeah, make sure you don't lost. I don't know why but I am actually always afraid of hiking around at night... might be the animals, or just getting lost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login