Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mariposa Grove/Wawona snow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mariposa Grove/Wawona snow
December 29, 2010 09:37AM
Anyone know what the snow conditions are like after this storm blows through?

Planning on heading up for new years and would love to head in to snowcamp in Mariposa grove. Alternate is dewey/crocker points but have done that a million times. If there is snow we'll do the grove.
avatar Re: Mariposa Grove/Wawona snow
December 29, 2010 01:10PM
calipidder

Planning on heading up for new years and would love to head in to snowcamp in Mariposa grove. Alternate is dewey/crocker points but have done that a million times. If there is snow we'll do the grove.

There is new snow on the Valley floor which is about 4000'. That might give you some idea.

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/ahwahnee.jpg
December 29, 2010 09:43PM
calipidder

I'll let you know once it blows through.
wink

Can guess though that Mariposa Grove gonna be really nice. Actually was thinking the
exact same thing (New Years Eve in the Grove)... but GW nixed that idea...

In case you missed it or ignored it or whatnot... at HH ... shoeing at 6K ft. After storm last
Sat. ... shoeing at 5K ft.... New storm was even lower... so I'd go for it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 30, 2010 09:06AM
We'll be spending NYE in the Wawona Campground then heading into the grove (or dewey) on NY Day for an overnighter. Can't think of a better place to ring in the new year. Did it last year (Dewey) and had a great time.
December 30, 2010 03:26PM
Skied into Tamarack Flat Campground for New Years a few years back. The bubbly went flat in a hurry after pouring.

Old Dude
December 30, 2010 03:27PM
mrcondron
The bubbly went flat in a hurry after pouring.

You need to ease the cork out. Don't use it as a weapon!
December 30, 2010 03:29PM
Eased it out but the bubbles were rampant.

Old Dude
December 30, 2010 03:43PM
mrcondron

Due to altitude?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 04:14PM by eeek.
December 30, 2010 04:12PM
Yep.

Old Dude
December 30, 2010 03:50PM
mrcondron

"Bubbles" (and friends) running rampant:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 05:24PM by szalkowski.
December 31, 2010 08:25AM
mrcondron
Skied into Tamarack Flat Campground for New Years a few years back. The bubbly went flat in a hurry after pouring.

few years in ODY = approx 24 years

(ODY = Old Dude Years)

December 31, 2010 08:36AM
Eat mor chikin!

Old Dude
January 03, 2011 08:18AM
mrcondron
Eat mor chikin!

Gotta ketchup first.

tongue sticking out smiley

Happy New Year Olde Dude

December 31, 2010 08:38AM
Packed up and ready to play. Massive amounts of down and wool packed (brr: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MPG) Back in 2011. Nothing like ringing in the new year in the best place on earth!
December 31, 2010 08:41AM
calipidder
Packed up and ready to play. Massive amounts of down and wool packed (brr: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MPG) Back in 2011. Nothing like ringing in the new year in the best place on earth!

Have fun!

Funny story... went to Pinnacles yesterday... and we were colder there than all 4 days in Yose.

Stay warm

January 03, 2011 08:21AM
I hate when people don't follow up on their question threads so for whatever it's worth, here's what happened:

So we arrived in Wawona on NYE about 3 pm. Lots of snow around the gate but very little in Wawona. Camped on dry-ish ground. (well, slept in the truck, but you know...). Stayed up hootin' and hollerin' around the campfire until midnight (The campground was nearly empty and the two other groups were up as well, I figure NYE is the one night that the quiet hours in a regular campground don't apply....).

Woke up new year's day to a beautiful falling snow. About 3 inches had stuck overnight. Our plan was to throw on the packs and go into Mariposa grove for an overnighter in the snow. The snow turned to rain. A lot of folks had really wet gear (I had brought a second set of gear - all my old stuff - for the car camping part, so all my snowcamping stuff was nice and dry and packed away). They didn't seem too excited about packing it all up and hauling it in to the grove. So instead we dayhiked and had a grand time (hard not to have a good time with this group). Snow was falling heavily when we got back to the cars around 3 pm.

After a brief stop at the wawona hotel after the hike (fireplace after a wet hike = nice. Bar service not starting until 5? Not so nice. Was looking forward to that beer...) we went back to camp which had turned into a wet slushy mess. And it was raining. The temperature had climbed during the day and we really wished it were a bit colder and snow instead. Oh, the nice lady at the Wawona Hotel had told us the forecast had changed from a couple of inches to three feet (!) of snow that night. So you can see where this is going - we packed up and headed out that night.

Kind of disappointing to bail on part of the trip - this is a strong and hearty group that has put up with far worse conditions upon many occasions, but I think we were all kind of in holiday burnout mode and ready to get back and start drying out. Still, the hike into the grove was beautiful with all the snow and of course I never have a bad time with this group of friends. I'm sure lucky to have a big group of friends who not only *doesn't* look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest standing around in 20 degrees on NYE and then camping in the snow, but eagerly wants to join.
January 03, 2011 04:51PM
calipidder
I hate when people don't follow up on their question threads so for whatever it's worth, here's what happened:

Tell me about it...
Sorry ever answered anything for this guy:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,21583

Please and thank you goes a long way...

Also get irritated when post answer and ask a question and there is silence. Sorry I ever
posted anything on WhitneyZone, I'll tell u that.

Anyway, thanks for the update!
Soulds like you still had a blast. Thought you'd have loads o snow only with the cold front blasting thru. bummage on the rain.

Have fun out der

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 05:31PM by chick-on.
January 03, 2011 07:55PM
Camped at the Wawona Camp ground a few years back and did the cocktail and piano thing at the hotel. Some snow and cold but the hotel experience made it worthwhile.

Old Dude
January 03, 2011 09:29PM
mrcondron
Camped at the Wawona Camp ground a few years back and did the cocktail and piano thing at the hotel. Some snow and cold but the hotel experience made it worthwhile.

In case you forgot:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,30824,30871#msg-30871

(try not to end up in an infinitey loopy)
Number 7 of New Years Resolution - check (all others... not doing so well at yet)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login