Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: boots for a snowcamping trip?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar boots for a snowcamping trip?
January 01, 2011 09:40AM
Could you please share what boots do you use for a few days long backpacking/hiking/snowshoeing trip?
Are they leather or plastic boots?

I understand that for a day hike almost any pair of boots should be OK.
At the same time I am not sure how your boots would be affected by few days of moisture accumulation.
January 01, 2011 10:50AM
My snowshoeing boots are neither leather nor plastic. Goretex and Primaloft insulated, rather. And gaiters. (Winter is about the only time I use Goretex anything.)
avatar Re: boots for a snowcamping trip?
January 02, 2011 09:07AM
AlmostThere
My snowshoeing boots are neither leather nor plastic. Gore-Tex and Primaloft insulated, rather. And gaiters. (Winter is about the only time I use Gore-Tex anything.)
I still believe that boots with Gore-Text is just a useless marketing gimmick and that properly treated leather should be as waterproof as Gore-Tex under normal conditions.
Let’s assume that your upper leather or cordura are completely wet and a Gore-Text layer prevents water from reaching your socks.
In this case your feet would soon become wet because of your own sweat and your boots would become a solid ice at night regardless of any Gore-Text layer.
January 02, 2011 09:18AM
Yury
AlmostThere
My snowshoeing boots are neither leather nor plastic. Gore-Tex and Primaloft insulated, rather. And gaiters. (Winter is about the only time I use Gore-Tex anything.)
I still believe that boots with Gore-Text is just a useless marketing gimmick and that properly treated leather should be as waterproof as Gore-Tex under normal conditions.
Let’s assume that your upper leather or cordura are completely wet and a Gore-Text layer prevents water from reaching your socks.
In this case your feet would soon become wet because of your own sweat and your boots would become a solid ice at night regardless of any Gore-Text layer.
That's what I said above.

Goretex does work... it's probably just not the holy grail people think it is.
January 02, 2011 11:19AM
Yury
AlmostThere

I can afford the boots. I can't afford leather, nor do I go out in snow often enough to justify it.

I don't snow camp.

You do what you find suitable - why ask the question if you are going to nitpick the answers you get?
January 01, 2011 05:51PM
I've got leather hiking boots from REI, cost about $200. They're waterproof. Maybe not ideal for snowshoeing, but I can't really afford summer and winter hiking boots, so they work fine for both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 07:03PM by hotrod4x5.
January 01, 2011 06:42PM
Just about anything if they are Gortexed and you have proper fitting gaiters. While moving your feet will stay warm. Have dry socks and some kind of bootie to wear around in camp.

Old Dude
January 01, 2011 09:15PM
My nubuc boots from Big-5 are OK for the first day.
They are not that waterproof anymore on a second day without proper drying and application of NikWax.
January 02, 2011 05:04AM
Anything with Gortex will keep your feet dry assuming gaiters are worn to keep the snow from coming in over the top.

Old Dude
January 02, 2011 08:26AM
Goretex is fine for a few trips... after that you'll have to seal them just like almost
any other boot. If you don't you're feet will get wet and your boots will be froze
in the morning. If someone says otherwise... then I guess I got the cheapo gortex on
all my shoes and boots...

Bought these last year:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,72552_Asolo-FSN-95-Gore-Tex-Hiking-Boots-Waterproof-For-Men.html

Work a treat with proper application of weatherproofing.

I use goretex for anytime hiking in snow or spring hiking. Without it... feet are wet within a few miles.

With respect to plastic or lined boots... if you have your boots sealed and are snoeing... you won't
need either... the blood will be a pumping... and your boots will be fine.

All that said... these look pretty nice:
http://www.rei.com/product/803496
(read the comments regarding temperature rating)
May pick these up someday if can get them on the cheap.
(anyone see them on super sale... please let me know)

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 08:33AM by bill-e-g.
January 02, 2011 08:37AM
bill-e-g

Have fun
Good find Bill! I'm interested in those as well.
January 02, 2011 08:43AM
For around camp... these are the bomb:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html

The wifie stole them from me though... haven't bought a pair for myself
since I'm normally taking off my fleece socks at night.
January 02, 2011 10:59AM
I have those feathered friends booties. Mmm nice. Slippy slidey a lot around camp though, especially in the evening when the tracks freeze over. Wheeee. Watch yer butt.
January 02, 2011 10:10AM
I bought them (the Merrells) just before Christmas. They worked well on a day trip around Tahoe, but then regular hiking boots work fine for me snowshoeing during the day. The real test will be if they eliminate 'frozen toe syndrome' at breakfast time on a camping trip (w/ hiking boots the cold toes thing goes away once I start traveling and the blood gets going).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 10:11AM by ttilley.
January 02, 2011 12:53PM
hotrod4x5
bill-e-g

Have fun
Good find Bill! I'm interested in those as well.

Bill-e-g, I got a similar product on Sierra Trading Post last year... Anyhow, these puppies did well last year on a few snow trips and kept me toast warm.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Titanium-Bugalution-Winter/dp/B000O5VWMG
January 02, 2011 09:39AM
Gortex is on the inside of the boot with the liner. The boot will get wet for sure but water won't come in and make the inside of the boot all squishy. Forget about the breathable feature as it only works if you aren't generating much sweat like when you aren't moving. Sno-seal is effective. Really dry powdery snow is the best. The wet boot will freeze at night, your socks will be wet from sweat, but not wringing wet, and will freeze too. Wear them to bed over a dry pair and they will be dry in a few hours. Again, properly fitted gaiters will keep the snow off of a lot of the boot and out of the inside.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login