Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Bridge at Wapama Falls (Hetch Hetchy)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bridge at Wapama Falls (Hetch Hetchy)
January 07, 2011 06:52AM
I want to backpack beyond Wapama Falls. I saw the thread about the bridge getting washed away and saw the pictures of the I-beams that appear to be very easy to cross. However, Yosemite's site lists the trail as closed. Two questions: Is it "legal" to go beyond the bridge and second are the i-beams still there and if not can the bridge be bypassed with a bit of rock climbing.

Thanks
avatar Re: Bridge at Wapama Falls (Hetch Hetchy)
January 07, 2011 07:32AM
Maybe this will shed some light on if you can get around without the bridge:

You can look on that other thread and find some vids I put up too.

I certainly wouldn't put myself in any position where I HAD to cross. Or have another plan in mind if I came from
the other direction and got stymied.
The beams themselves are not too big a deal IMO. But, they may get washed out when the big melt occurs in the spring.
I'm not sure exactly why they put them up... it's just too enticing to cross.. they may have had plans to get
the bridge fixed quickly... but then storms came a rollin in and stymied them.

I highly doubt they will even issue you a permit. You can call HH entrance and ask. When are you planning to go?

Just a heads up ... the guy manning the gate over Xmas didn't know anything about the trails... he asked where
we went and we started explaining conditions and whatnot... and he said he just started working HH and
thanks for the info...
Also, no one had gone out of HH from about mid-Nov thru Dec 26 except me, the wifie, and the old dude
so can almost guarantee you they are gonna say "no can go to Rancheria or over the Wap. bridge".

Good luck

btw...
(pict. above was Dec. 10) on Dec. 26 the water was down but not a huge amount... the falls will go down
in winter ... fluctuate during the day/night, etc. (you should look at the water flow data to see current
state and compare that to the date/picture above) (but I doubt they will give u a permit so it's prolly moot pts.)

Have fun
Re: Bridge at Wapama Falls (Hetch Hetchy)
January 07, 2011 08:48AM
This is patently Not A Good Idea.
January 07, 2011 10:36AM
AlmostThere
This is patently Not A Good Idea.

Wondering if the picture was convincing... ????

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 07, 2011 11:38AM
It convinced me. That and I have been at the falls before, and seen what a climb would really be like. You'd have to be some kind of crazy canyoneer to do it.
January 07, 2011 01:02PM
Jump from wet, slippery rock to wet, slippery rock. Easy-peasy
January 07, 2011 01:58PM
dqniel
Jump from wet, slippery rock to wet, slippery rock. Easy-peasy

Couple flaps o da wings... and I'm over ...

January 07, 2011 02:22PM
Something I'm sure people repeat often, right before that final slip....
January 12, 2011 07:24AM
My crystal balls sez Greg likey Death Valley and no attempt I Beam.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login