Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Defeated Again

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Defeated Again
January 15, 2011 09:59AM
Well anybody get a spot this morning? All gone in 2 minutes.
January 15, 2011 10:14AM
softball72

I've had almost 4000 hits on http://yosemitecampsites.com/ today. Normally it gets a couple hundred.
January 16, 2011 08:01AM
eeek
softball72

I've had almost 4000 hits on http://yosemitecampsites.com/ today. Normally it gets a couple hundred.
I didn't realize that was your site! You asked me a long time ago about using my image from tunnel view as a background. Looks like you took it down recently, I thought I saw it on there a couple months ago.
January 16, 2011 04:32PM
hotrod4x5
You asked me a long time ago about using my image from tunnel view as a background.

That must have been someone else.
January 16, 2011 05:06PM
eeek
hotrod4x5
You asked me a long time ago about using my image from tunnel view as a background.

Is there another site that has photos of all the campsites?
January 16, 2011 05:08PM
hotrod4x5

Not that I know of. And I did timely register copyrights...
January 16, 2011 05:16PM
Well, several years ago, someone contacted me who was creating a website that showed photos of all the campsites. He asked to use a winter shot I took at tunnel view. I said yes and it appeared as the background along with a link to my website. Did you take over the site from someone else?
January 17, 2011 11:03AM
hotrod4x5
Did you take over the site from someone else?

No, it's my own creation.
January 30, 2011 11:37AM
hotrod4x5
eeek
hotrod4x5

I found the site that is using my photo. Looks like the guy never got it finished.
February 03, 2011 03:15PM
hotrod4x5

There is another web site now (that is newer) that shows multiple photos of each Yosemite campsite...
January 15, 2011 11:07AM
When I tried a couple of years ago, I didn't get anything for June because I had problems with the website programming. It kept on saying that sites were available when they were already taken.

For the next month I didn't get my first choice but moved quickly to any available site. I think most were sold out within 7 minutes, but I saw some scattered single nights available until late that afternoon.
January 15, 2011 12:49PM
I got my first choice for the end of May. Me and the wife were both on our laptop's clicking away.

I know a lot of the time I don't get what I want. That is why I get so mad when I see them on eBay and Craigslist for sale...

I also remember last year, a little red script appeared at the top saying the inventory was no longer available but the big graphic showed big A's for available, so I didn't notice it and kept clicking away. Needless to say I finally figured it out at 0705 and didn't get crap...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 12:53PM by Wickett.
January 15, 2011 01:29PM
I don't even bother ever since I started using Camp 4 and backpacking.
Not that either of those are particularly easy to get either!

It helps that I'm only a 3 hour drive away.
January 15, 2011 02:15PM
qumqats
I don't even bother ever since I started using Camp 4 and backpacking.

In the summer I've always found it easy to get a spot in either Porcupine Flat or Yosemite Creek. Just don't show up Friday night expecting anything.
January 15, 2011 02:56PM
What about the tent trailer they were showed as sleeping overnight in?
January 16, 2011 07:27AM
I watched the special after I saw her there. Her show show's her driving to the valley. She got the shots then flew in on a helicopter, a day early so she didn't have clearance and the park officials were pissed. Then the whole generator fiasco, I called the rangers at 1000 because they had five generators running and the whole forest lit up. Once they were done shooting they all went to the Awahnee, they tore though the campsites at warp speed, one of them on a golf cart with no lights... They had cars parked all over the place. People coming in couldn't get their RV's through. Did the Rangers do anything, nope they had a park official at their beck and call... It was ridiculous. She should of just stayed away from the campgrounds. Besides the two families she had for smores, the rest of the campground was pissed about all of the noise, people and equipment...
January 15, 2011 02:34PM
I hope Oprah doesn't show up this time and ruin my stay like last time. Her little special didn't show the five generators running or all of the big lights strung through the trees. She didn't even stay in the campsite after annoying the heck out of a lot of us, they tore out of there at 1030 and went to the Ahwahnee.
January 15, 2011 05:25PM
Tried to get the first week of June in Lower Pines. Sold out but got a river campsite for the last week of May and was very happy with that (#43). But then my daughter informs me that her boyfriend's college graduation is May 25, right in the middle of our trip. Argh!! Back to the drawing board....
January 17, 2011 08:59AM
Got mine, but my bro-in-law (on a cruise) couldn't get internet service and didn't get his. Last time that happened (for June 2007) we went to Tuolumne instead. It was a drier year, and was the perfect decision because not many people knew that the Tuolumne campground opened that early. More competition this year as North Pines wasn't in the reservation pool. We were all trying for sites in just two campgrounds.

As for pics of campsites...the reservation service has little pics if you look at info for the campsite (when the site list is up.)

yosemitecampsites is great...I was probably 50 of those hits Friday...for site suggestions for my bro-in-law. (Their RV has a slideout and I check for tree placement in sites...)
January 17, 2011 09:16AM
Got mine! Was not what i was after but i can't complain. Tried for Lower Pines and ended up at Wawona. Did get our wilderness permits and Half Dome permits for June 20th. Hope weather permits the cables to be up by then. All these things having to hit together seems to be impossible. This system is as "nerve-racking" as it can get!!
January 17, 2011 12:28PM
It can be nerve wracking right up to the end...last year, our week long reservations started June 5 and Tioga Pass just opened before we got to HWY 120 (live on the east side.) The signs still said "closed."

We had 4 campsites and 15 people last year. As of right now, I don't think any of our extended family got a site this year except for us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login