Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Alcove swing

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Alcove swing
January 16, 2011 09:57AM
Here is my first ride on the El Cap Alcove Swing! I believe it's in Quicktime...

*EDIT* Chick-on was kind enough to put up a smaller file, scroll down to view it. My file was huge apparently...

video: http://gallery.me.com/jswartwood#100025/IMGP0055&bgcolor=black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 08:13PM by Wickett.
January 16, 2011 01:44PM
I don't know how large this page is, but I've been waiting 9 minutes, its at 45Mb and still counting. so . . .
WARNING!! large page load!

maybe it's supposed to stream and isn't because I'm using Opera. Either way, its a monstrously large video and could have been compressed to a more manageable size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 01:51PM by qumqats.
January 16, 2011 01:52PM
Huh, I clicked on it and it took about four seconds... Its a 16 second clip. If everyone is having this problem I probably need to host it somewhere else.

I checked on my wife's computer and it loaded fine, maybe it's a Mac thing?  I will try on the in-laws PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 01:55PM by Wickett.
January 16, 2011 01:54PM
now for a more positive note.

LOOKS LIKE A BLAST! How do you get the rope up there?

yet another area to put on the list to explore
January 16, 2011 02:02PM
The rope is set and checked by locals each season. It gets changed out too. I have not been to the top but it looks like an equalized setup with slings onto two bolts via locking biners. There is not a lot of movement at the top since the rope is so long. One individual at the climbing store said it gets checked weekly by a climber he knows. The first time I went up there several people way larger than I were just finishing so I was comfortable with the setup.

As with anything in Yosemite there is inherent risk but it is soooo much fun!
January 16, 2011 01:59PM
Why not just put it on youtube?
January 16, 2011 02:03PM
Good point, I have never put anything there before and I have space on my Me account. If there are still problems I will switch it over to Youtube.
January 16, 2011 05:00PM
Youtube kept failing when it tried to process it. The file is only 6K so I have no idea why it can be slow for some...
January 16, 2011 05:05PM
Wickett
Youtube kept failing when it tried to process it. The file is only 6K so I have no idea why it can be slow for some...
It did NOTHING at the link after a long wait and so I downloaded it to my PC and was able to watch it there. But 6K? It's nearly 50M! Sounds like something flakey is going on somewhere.
Cool clip though!

--David
January 17, 2011 06:35AM
DavidK42
Wickett
It did NOTHING at the link after a long wait and so I downloaded it to my PC and was able to watch it there. But 6K? It's nearly 50M! Sounds like something flakey is going on somewhere.
Cool clip though!

--David

I get 48.3M. When I first watched, ( because it had not downloaded fully) the swing stopped away from the El Cap alcove and I watched for several minutes wondering how he got down! Repeated attempts to play eventually resulted in sufficient download to play adequately. Well worth viewing. smiling smiley

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 19, 2011 12:41PM
Sorry for the large size... I will look into changing it once I get reliable internet service. If someone else can easily fix it and is so inclined feel free to do so.
January 19, 2011 01:44PM
Wickett
Sorry for the large size... I will look into changing it once I get reliable internet service. If someone else can easily fix it and is so inclined feel free to do so.

Threw it up on youtube. If you want it removed... lemme know... and will do:

Any luck w/ the link to your friends maps???

Chick-on avec les pieds

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 19, 2011 08:17PM
I can have him host the larger map files you guys don't want to shrink down. The only maps I have found was a collection on some college server. They had quite a lot of them.
January 24, 2011 09:02PM
Wickett
I can have him host the larger map files you guys don't want to shrink down. The only maps I have found was a collection on some college server. They had quite a lot of them.

I'll ask one more time before I give up.

Please? Pretty Please? If you found some maps are they different than the ones I have?
If so, can I get them? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Thanks

January 28, 2011 09:52AM
Here is the main place that I have been using. I figured you guys would have way more than I since I just got into it.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/maps/

I tried to find the college server that had some good ones on it but it seems to be 404'ed. I should of grabbed them when they were up...
January 29, 2011 08:45AM
Wickett
Here is the main place that I have been using. I figured you guys would have way more than I since I just got into it.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/maps/

I tried to find the college server that had some good ones on it but it seems to be 404'ed. I should of grabbed them when they were up...

OK. Thanks. Hadn't look there in awhile. Looks like Dan has added others.
Still don't have the sweet ones that Princeton or Berkeley have though...

What maps does your friend have? (I'm a map who<bleep> )

Tanks!

January 29, 2011 01:13PM
chick-on
Tanks!

That's what they put fish in:

(Swimmingly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 01:16PM by szalkowski.
January 24, 2011 10:15PM
Wickett thaks for posting! We didn't know about swing. Well be checking out soon.

There are some other really great vidoe's on YouTube showing the swing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login