Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Kolana Rock

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 24, 2011 10:57AM
Cool Grape Goodness

**warning** may contain Old Dude
- watch at own risk

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 24, 2011 11:27AM
So did you guys find any evidence of WWII stuff where the strung a cable or anything?
January 24, 2011 11:58AM
My ears get cold just listening to the wind.
January 24, 2011 01:48PM
Catalonian Burro
So did you guys find any evidence of WWII stuff where the strung a cable or anything?
Yes. Same as on Hetch Hetchy Dome. Big Eye Hooks.
I think I posted a picture of HH Dome before...

January 26, 2011 01:27PM
What's the story with the eye bolts?
January 26, 2011 05:36PM
YosemiteSteve
What's the story with the eye bolts?

When I went up Hetch Hetchy Dome a few years ago (2008) I asked a ranger I met on the dam
about them and he said that they were used to string wires across from Kolana to HH Dome
and used as an Anti-Aircraft measure during World War 2. That's the gist of it. I can't
remember really much more than that. I wish I could find some references to it somewhere else.
There are no pads or anything much else up there other than what you see in the pictures.

Thought I would share this on account I've looked at this rock a zillion times.... wanting to
go up it for many years and esp. wanting to see if there were indeed eye hooks on Kolana.
You won't find much on the web about it due to it's anything but trivial to get to and there is
a climbing closure due to Peregrine Falcon breeding from March 1-Aug 1. The last registry
entry was Oct. of 2009 (none in 2010). To avoid some pain some will actually drop down
from above. I've done that before too but didn't go up to the top due to the climbing closure then.

Here's Hetch Hetchy Dome's eye hooks (from May 2, 2008):

Here's the view from above (from May 28, 2006):

January 27, 2011 07:25AM
Really fabulous shot from above, chick-on!
January 24, 2011 12:07PM
Was that taken this past weekend, or earlier? I was camped near Wawona Point this weekend and had hardly any wind at all.
January 24, 2011 01:53PM
ttilley
Was that taken this past weekend, or earlier? I was camped near Wawona Point this weekend and had hardly any wind at all.

This past weekend. Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.
It was tough making it thru the night with how cold it got (40 degrees).
As for the wind. It wasn't cold, just INCREDIBLY annoying. After getting back down
to the west side there was minimal wind. Pleasant breeze once the sun set. Nothing more.

January 24, 2011 12:13PM
Cool video! What camera do you have?
January 24, 2011 01:57PM
hotrod4x5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7

I don't take many videos. I really like the 16x zoom.
(taken from atop Kolana)
(note that the I Beams are no longer across the 2 sections of bridges that are out)

January 24, 2011 02:04PM
chick-on
hotrod4x5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7

I don't take many videos. I really like the 16x zoom.
Mighty fine zoom you got there. I have an el cheap-o Canon w/10X zoom and I thought that was good. Not anymore.
January 24, 2011 03:25PM
Comments about the falls? Do both actually "disappear" before entering Hetch Hetchy?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 24, 2011 04:49PM
Frank Furter
Comments about the falls? Do both actually "disappear" before entering Hetch Hetchy?

For Wapama, that only occurs if there is a puny amount of water coming over.
Right now it's not a huge volume.. I'd rate it maybe 4/10.

I put some more here for your enjoyment:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Kolana02

January 27, 2011 09:51AM
About the water flow, when it's 10/10 the bridge section with the water flowing under it in the picture will be engulfed in a torrent of very heavy spray. It can be exciting crossing it. And butt cold.

Old Dude
January 26, 2011 09:33AM
Nice crisp video with that camera...and a good length that I was actually able to view it here at home (DIAL UP...I have to try to remember to watch YouTube videos on my new laptop, when away from home.) Still took over ten minutes to load.

Ironically, this area is where I tried to take my first (and last) video with my camera (my videocam had been swept from my hand on that now nonexeistant bridge) and the footage was crap. (No sound, but I might've had the sound turned off.)

On the other hand, my husband's camera took some good video...I think it was his first try at video, too. His camera...Panasonic DMC ZS3.
January 27, 2011 09:50PM
chick-on

Reminds me of doing a little video during my hike up Guadalupe Peak in Texas. So windy that it was driving me crazy, and the noise it makes with the cheap microphones integrated into cameras is unparalleled in annoyance.

Very pretty location, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 09:50PM by dqniel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login