Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Half Dome Hike for Hope July 14, 2011

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Hike for Hope July 14, 2011
February 01, 2011 12:20PM
The inaugural Half Dome Climb for Hope is being rescheduled for July 14, 2011. That's right, get out your training shoes. Build your campus team! Only a few months to train, and although the weather prevented us from doing the hike in October, we will be there this July! Kari Cobb, head of media relations at Yosemite National Park commented, “Half Dome will always be here.”

THURSDAY July 14, 2011

5:00 a.m. Half Dome trailhead (Mist Trail) – elevation: 4100 ft
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Half Dome summit – elevation: 8836 ft
5:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Press Conference – Half Dome trailhead

THE HALF DOME climb is actually part hike and part climb. It requires no specialized equipment or training, and thousands of visitors successfully make the trek each year. Nevertheless, it is physically demanding and not without its risks, and the final ascent near the summit will test the faint of heart. But for those with the fortitude, it is a spectacular and rewarding experience.

Rudy Chavarria on College vs Cancer and the “Half Dome Climb for Hope”:

I’ve had more than a few friends both young and old – college graduates or parents of college students – succumb to cancer. I founded College vs Cancer largely in response to them. I’ve learned that hope takes courage and tenacity, and the Half Dome climb is symbolic of that. Yosemite has always been an inspirational and meaningful place to me. It is so awe-inspiring yet so unforgiving – it definitely demands respect. My hope is that this event will garner support from other college students who will take up the cause and climb along with me. My greater aim, through the help of the media, is to create a buzz, a rallying cry to enlist the support of people everywhere.

In July, I hope to have at least one student from each California University joining me on the hike. It only seems appropriate that college students that can join me on the hike do so. We will be handing out Clif Bars from our sponsor to all who join the hike.

“Half Dome Climb for Hope” is sponsored by CLIF BAR & COMPANY.
avatar Re: Half Dome Hike for Hope July 14, 2011
February 01, 2011 01:18PM
It'll be a toasty hot hike at that time of year. That's when I did it, and I should have been better prepared in terms of conditioning. Too much heat for my out-of-shape body, and I felt miserable because of it. I am a young guy too, so hopefully people that go realize the difficulty if they're not used to long, hot hikes.
Re: Half Dome Hike for Hope July 14, 2011
February 01, 2011 02:05PM
Don't forget to let people know that they need permits to day hike Half Dome now.

You will have a tough time getting very many people permits if they wait until after reservations start for the date of the trip. Unless, of course, you talked the park into reserving the day's permit quota just for your group.
February 01, 2011 02:51PM
AlmostThere
Don't forget to let people know that they need permits to day hike Half Dome now.

You will have a tough time getting very many people permits if they wait until after reservations start for the date of the trip. Unless, of course, you talked the park into reserving the day's permit quota just for your group.

There could be an outcry if that happened. Just in case the OP doesn't know, the day use permits for Half Dome are now required seven days a week. They figured out that people were simply shifting to non-permit days and there were some extreme spikes in popularity those days.

I remember the last time this was suggested, the chosen day was a Thursday when the permits wouldn't have been required. I suggested that such an event might possibly violate the maximum group size of 35 for day use. In addition, this might be considered a "public assembly" and with the press conference I think permits would also be required.
February 02, 2011 06:19AM
Looking at the website associated with this post ( www.americanamp.com ), I get the definite impression that this escapade was conceived primarily as a promotional device to raise awareness of the author's company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 06:20AM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login