Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Snowmobile crossing of PCT delayed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Snowmobile crossing of PCT delayed
February 09, 2011 01:50PM
A decision on whether and where snowmobiles can cross the Pacific Crest Trail near Sonora Pass might not be made this year, according to Mike Crawley, Bridgeport District Ranger for the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest. The decision, part of a winter recreation plan that aims to increase the economic diversity for northern Mono County, was due out by Crawley early this year.

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/snowmobile-crossing-pct-delayed-again
avatar Re: Snowmobile crossing of PCT delayed
February 09, 2011 10:09PM
Is there something so sacred about the PCT that a snowmobile cannot cross it? Or is it something like a black cat crossing your path?
February 10, 2011 06:47AM
I don't think there should be anything sacred about crossing it in designated locations. Not being a snowmobiler I don't know how many undisciplined drivers would be tempted to detour onto the PCT itself. That's probably the greater concern.
February 10, 2011 09:00AM
tomdisco
I don't think there should be anything sacred about crossing it in designated locations. Not being a snowmobiler I don't know how many undisciplined drivers would be tempted to detour onto the PCT itself. That's probably the greater concern.

That could be a concern, but is it that much of a concern? What damage would a snowmobile do to the trail that's under a few feet of snow? Maybe it's just the noise disturbing the few animals active in the area.

I just read the article. Quote; "Problems with snowmobilers driving illegally into the wilderness have been relatively minimal this year.
“The area is really well signed, we have our people out there every day, and people are sticking to the law.”" It seems it's not the PCT itself but using it to get out of the designated area and into a wilderness area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 09:05AM by Dave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login