Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lower Pines- Double Sites

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lower Pines- Double Sites
February 12, 2011 03:25PM
Hi Folks,

Obvious first time poster and first time (hopeful) Yosemite camper.... never even been on a day trip...

I had ran the search function and called the park with limited success and and hoping some vets would kindly share some insight..

I am looking to take my family and in-laws (10 total) for a camping trip to the valley. I do understand that I have to be both quick and lucky with the reservation process. My wife, kids and self are experienced campers but it has been a while for the wife's parents who are adventurous 70 year old's. The niece and nephew are good to go as well.

With that in mind, I have looked at the double sites but they appear to be semi hard/loose paved and the tents must be in this area. (what I was told.)- will these sites accommodate 3 10x12 tents, 2 suburbans and a car? The pics from the reservation site and yosemitecampsite.com photos have me wishy-washy at that prospect.

or am I better of trying to get two separate sites next to each other? (would need to be extremely lucky I am sure)--

Thanks for any and all insight folks can provide-

Smokey (yes it is my real nickname for over 43 years, I am 44) smiling smiley
February 12, 2011 04:19PM
The double sites will accommodate all of your mentioned equipment and cars. The chance of getting two separate sites next to each other on the 2/15 buy date is a about one in a million. Go for one of the double sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 04:33PM by mtn man.
February 13, 2011 08:03AM
Thanks for the info mtn man- greatly appreciated.

hopefully we'll be able to stake the tents in if we get a site--thumbs up
avatar Re: Lower Pines- Double Sites
February 13, 2011 09:39AM
smokeybear

You didn't mention what time period you hope to be there - presuming sometime during the kids' summer vacation.

If you don't get a valley site, be sure to let us know.
There are far better places to camp in Yosemite during the summer tourist madness than 'Downtown Yosemite'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 09:41AM by szalkowski.
avatar Re: Lower Pines- Double Sites
February 13, 2011 11:26AM
szalkowski
smokeybear

You didn't mention what time period you hope to be there - presuming sometime during the kids' summer vacation.

If you don't get a valley site, be sure to let us know.
There are far better places to camp in Yosemite during the summer tourist madness than 'Downtown Yosemite'.

I would assume mid-June to mid-July given that it's the reservation window for Feb 15.

I do understand why some people would want to stay in Yosemite Valley. There's ready access to the amenities and one can leave the car at the campsite and explore the Valley with the shuttle. We walked from our campsite to do the Mist Trail.
February 14, 2011 10:59PM
Thanks again for the info folks...

yes it will be the July time frame if I am lucky with the system.

This will be my first time as well as the daughters 13 ,15 to Yosemite, and I do understand that it may be "combat camping" but we will give it one shot. Kinda like Disneyland on a summer day---crazy but fun and should be done once in a life time. My wife was there 30 years ago and my son (17) has been there a couple of times with scouts. (Backpacking, car camp+ service) Most of our family camping is done during the kids fall break the first two weeks of October...but we are feeling like river boat gamblers right now....

If things don't work out, I'll let you know......

Thanks again everyone

-Smokeybear
February 15, 2011 07:11AM
well that was a fast strike out.... reminded me of my days in little league... 3 strikes and your out! lol...

had the 'puter all set and hit the button at appropriate time... thinking.... unavailable.....

oh well.... at least our national parks are being used.

we will at least plan a day trip..... Yosemite is only 3 hours from our house....

any other suggestions?
February 15, 2011 07:46AM
Don't give up yet....Sometimes sites pop up during the buy day as people find out their friends who were also trying for sites for them also got some sites and once they put their heads together they cancel some reservations. I noticed that site #37, lower pines, a choice site, popped up on the reservation system at 7:17 this morning after it was gone at 7:00. Of course it was gone again within a minute. Someone had reserved it and then let it go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login