Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wilderness Permit Reservations CONFIRMED!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wilderness Permit Reservations CONFIRMED!
February 21, 2011 06:21PM
I got my permit with no problems. I just looked and it isn't full yet. Starting Aug. 7th at Cathedral Lakes trail head. I plan to hike the John Muir Trail to Sunrise Lakes. Then up to Clouds Rest on my way to Half Dome. After Half Dome I may head towards Echo Valley and loop around back through Little Yosemite Valley and out via the Mist trail. I can't wait.
March 09, 2011 10:51AM
SKUNKED!

tried to get TH permit for Sunrise 6/22 or 6/23 or 6/24...no go...question, i understand the rules have changed for same day permits...last year I just went to Big Oak station...early, got my permit and my bear can and hit the trail that same morning, is that still possible?
March 09, 2011 11:18AM
I got my permits for Rae Lakes!

Oh, wait. Not the same thing at all... much easier in SEKI.

My favorite way to get a permit in Yosemite is to pack up the stuff, drive up to the nearest wilderness office, get a permit for somewhere, and go. Got Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne last year that way. Drove from TM office to WW, stayed the night in the backpacker camp there (bear came! we drove it off!), got a ride back to TM, hiked back to the car - good times.
March 09, 2011 11:47AM
AlmostThere

My favorite way to get a permit in Yosemite is to pack up the stuff, drive up to the nearest wilderness office, get a permit for somewhere, and go. Got Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne last year that way. Drove from TM office to WW, stayed the night in the backpacker camp there (bear came! we drove it off!), got a ride back to TM, hiked back to the car - good times.

Yes I agree. I like doing it that way and have done that in the past, computers, internet, reservations...uh wtf has that to do with WILDerness?

the less you try and control things the more control you have IMO...
avatar Re: Wilderness Permit Reservations CONFIRMED!
March 09, 2011 12:00PM
That works for those who are local (California) who may have several opportunities each year. For those of us "from away" the reservation system can not be beat, especially considering the need to occomodate airline tickets, arrival/departure hotels, and car rental. I've made "24 weeks to the day" advance reservations by phone for 3 years in a row with no difficulty whatsoever. Always got first choice that way. Also, being limited to one trip per year means I don't want to discover my only same day permit option is someplace I've already seen.
March 09, 2011 01:39PM
Yep, I feel for people who are flying in - it's hard to sort out and understand the process to begin with, and then to be told all your plans have to change because there are no permits left to reserve?

Good thing there are forums full of Yosemite regulars to help them sort it out!

I've made the reservation for wilderness permits too - always for a trailhead that doesn't get anywhere close to Half Dome, tho. That's a great way to be successful in reserving permits.
March 09, 2011 07:14PM
As someone who is local (CA), I appreciate reservation systems at national park and forest wilderness areas elsewhere (where quotas apply) for the exact same reasons. I mentioned Grand Canyon, Boundary Waters, etc. lotteries in a different thread today...I did the same as you, I put in for the lottery, got the results, then made the rest of my arrangements (including air fare, where applicable).

If as eek noted in that other thread (the half dome one) bots are taking some of the reservations so their creators can resell them, and if lotteries avoid that problem (don't know), then maybe the present Yosemite system isn't so great. But some workable reservation system seems mandatory for quota-limited areas that are regarded as nationally-significant (namely, national parks and wilderness areas).
March 26, 2011 11:21PM
Do you guys of pointers are getting no-shows?
March 27, 2011 07:22AM
camper68
Do you guys of pointers are getting no-shows?

Say, what?
March 27, 2011 08:40AM
I think he's asking how to get unclaimed permits?

There's no real pointer to give - be in the wilderness office at 10 am and see if there are any.
April 02, 2011 01:01AM
Yeah, I apologize, that is what I meant, the unclaimed permits. Was curious if there was another way by calling in, or waiting in line early or what not. Seems a bit like the luck of the draw but it is fine.
April 02, 2011 10:31AM
I have called before to check, but I would recommend just showing up if you are already there. It is not as popular or in demand as first come first serve campsites because not that many people know about it.
April 04, 2011 10:52AM
Thanks. I may try calling first.
April 04, 2011 03:04PM
I am sure if you are there for a few days, you will be able to find a permit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login