Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Zip-lines planned for Mariposa ranch on way to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Zip-lines planned for Mariposa ranch on way to Yosemite
February 24, 2011 03:50PM
Every day, Victoria Rudge can see the tour buses zip past her ranch on Highway 140, just outside Mariposa, on their way to Yosemite National Park. By April, she hopes more zipping will be going on, from the top of her hill to the bottom. Rudge, and her husband, Bryan Imrie, are planning to build two zip-lines on their 40-acre ranch, hoping to appeal to the more than 1 million tourists who travel through Mariposa each year.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/24/3426793/zip-lines-planned-for-mariposa.html
avatar Re: Zip-lines planned for Mariposa ranch on way to Yosemite
February 24, 2011 04:22PM
No (printable) comment.
February 24, 2011 05:05PM
I've been thinking about putting one up at my place. Just for my use though. Looks like fun.
February 24, 2011 05:22PM
Maybe the Park Service should hook one up between the top of Half Dome and Glacier Point!

(Just kidding, folks)

;-)
February 24, 2011 06:20PM
plawrence
Maybe the Park Service should hook one up between the top of Half Dome and Glacier Point!

(Just kidding, folks)

;-)

What about putting them in at Table Lake?
February 24, 2011 06:28PM
plawrence

(Just kidding, folks)

;-)

Well, you might be kidding but there were multiple proposals throughout the 20th century to build cable cars from the Valley to Glacier Point. According to Chapter III of Hank Johnston's Yosemite's Yesterdays:
"In September 1913...W.H. Hendricks, a prominent San Francisco real estate developer, petitined the Department of Interior for the right to construct an 'accident-proof' electric elevator [!] from Camp Curry to the top of Glacier Point."

and

In 1917 [after the Glacier Point Hotel was built], Stephen Mather expressed interest in "...a shaft by which the tourist could be carried directly from the Valley to Glacier Point"

and

"In 1929...the Yosemite Park and Curry Co...approached the Federal Government with a plan for a counterbalanced cableway to run from Happy Isles to Glacier Point."

and

"...when studies began for a Yosemite Master Plan in 1967...the Yosemite Park and Curry Co...[was asked] to undertake studies to 'determine the feasibility of constructing and operating an aerial passenger tramway to Glacier Point.'"

Even as late as 1985, former Park Superintendent Horace Albright said in an interview that he thought there was still an outside chance such a tramway might be constructed.

I'd like to think that the idea won't surface again but, unfortunately, where there's a buck to be made, you can never be sure.

--David
February 25, 2011 12:56AM
DavidK42
plawrence

(Just kidding, folks)

;-)

Well, you might be kidding but there were multiple proposals throughout the 20th century to build cable cars from the Valley to Glacier Point. According to Chapter III of Hank Johnston's Yosemite's Yesterdays:
"In September 1913...W.H. Hendricks, a prominent San Francisco real estate developer, petitined the Department of Interior for the right to construct an 'accident-proof' electric elevator [!] from Camp Curry to the top of Glacier Point."

and

In 1917 [after the Glacier Point Hotel was built], Stephen Mather expressed interest in "...a shaft by which the tourist could be carried directly from the Valley to Glacier Point"

and

"In 1929...the Yosemite Park and Curry Co...approached the Federal Government with a plan for a counterbalanced cableway to run from Happy Isles to Glacier Point."

and

"...when studies began for a Yosemite Master Plan in 1967...the Yosemite Park and Curry Co...[was asked] to undertake studies to 'determine the feasibility of constructing and operating an aerial passenger tramway to Glacier Point.'"

Even as late as 1985, former Park Superintendent Horace Albright said in an interview that he thought there was still an outside chance such a tramway might be constructed.

I'd like to think that the idea won't surface again but, unfortunately, where there's a buck to be made, you can never be sure.

--David

Actually, I've always thought having an elevator (drilled within the rocks, not exposed outdoor) from the base of Glacier Point near Curry Village to the top of Glacier Point would be a cool idea, and just think how much carbon emissions from automobiles would be eliminated if people could just take an express elevator from Curry Village to the top of Glacier Point! It might be something that Al Gore would even approve of. Ha, ha.

And talking about past, crazy to believe proposals, once upon a time (in the 1930's or 40's) the Sierra Club itself proposed a road be built from Yosemite Valley to near the top of Half Dome. How some organizations have changed through the years.
February 25, 2011 07:57AM
I seem to recall a picture of a car heading to Nevada Falls on what is now the JMT.
Maybe that was a publicity stunt though.
Eleanor, Gravel Pit, Harden, May... all those purty sure you could drive to back in the day..
(Yeeeee Old Dude may know) ( Rolling on floor laugh )

Thank you all the brilliant minds who saved the beautiful Yosemite for us to enjoy.
(and I personally commend the wilderness act)

Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 25, 2011 11:42AM
In the past one could travel up and over Mono Pass by car to Mono Lake too.
February 24, 2011 10:18PM
plawrence

(Just kidding, folks);-)
I'll go on it.
April 02, 2011 01:05AM
Me too. Should cut the hiking time in half!
April 02, 2011 10:34AM
Probably not... it will be like Disneyland and the lines will be 2 hours long.
April 04, 2011 10:52AM
April 04, 2011 03:00PM
Haha, so funny. They better get insurance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login