Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Water sources

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Water sources
February 24, 2011 08:33PM
Both of my previous trips in Yosemite have been early and close to a river. My trip this year is for mid August and from Cathedral Lakes to Clouds Rest and Half Dome. I am wondering how many water sources there are this time of year. Will I need to plan carefully, or is water easy to find?
February 24, 2011 10:25PM
I remember the trip I had in 2007. I holed up for a couple of nights near the junction of Clouds Rest Trail and John Muir Trail - about 2.5 hiking miles from Half Dome. It was late June in a poor snow year, and there was plenty of water at one of the nearby creeks.

I think predicting the water levels is going to be tough though. By that time a lot of creeks might be dry.
February 25, 2011 07:50AM
Traildood,
Here is a map where you have the "110% Chick-on Guarantee" that you will find water.
Even at the end of September. I think you mentioned coming back up thru Echo Valley
past the Dolly Domes. Echo Creek will have water... but I didn't draw that in b/c
you also mentioned going out Happy Isles...
Half Fun out der

you can find the map and download it here if you like (or zoom in or whatever your heart desires):
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/YoseMaps#5577652323563595266

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 09:49AM by chick-on.
February 25, 2011 10:41AM
Wow, this is a fantastic map. Thank you so much for everything that you give to this community Bill.
February 25, 2011 06:21PM
Yes thank you. Not worrying about where, when or how much water I need to carry will be a huge help. Thanks again.
March 01, 2011 04:19PM
Bill-e, thanks for all the hard work & help that you provide on this board and the other! You've always helped answer all my questions and it is greatly appreciated. A map with water sources? That is awesome! Thank you for all the work you do on the boards!

Ross
March 09, 2011 03:54PM
oakroscoe
Bill-e, thanks for all the hard work & help that you provide on this board and the other! You've always helped answer all my questions and it is greatly appreciated. A map with water sources? That is awesome! Thank you for all the work you do on the boards!

Ross

Umm Bill-E is not chick-on, thank the bird...a word to the wise traildad...bring *at least* 4 liters of water with you between the last creek and LYV, you will hit an elevation increase on your way up to Cloud's and you will be drinking more as you ascend than you were earlier, esp if you are carrying a heavy pack (like I do)....

PS after clouds there is a boulder along the trail down to LYV with a small spring that trickles out, if you are crafty you can get enough into an empty nalgene to pump/purify into another empty nalgene or steripen it (my pref).
March 09, 2011 06:29PM
Good to know. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login