All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Toulumne Meadows in July?
March 06, 2011 01:11PM
We were hoping to reprise our July 4 holiday trip to TM, but I'm a bit worried about all that wonderful snow. Last year, the campsites were still a bit snowy and damp, and it wasn't a big snow year.

Should we hope for the best, and have a solid back-up plan? Or should we reschedule our trip for later in the month?

What say ye all?
avatar Re: Toulumne Meadows in July?
March 06, 2011 06:14PM
Last year wasn't normal. So I'd go ahead and have a backup plan as well.
March 08, 2011 07:51PM
That's what I was thinking as well. OK, so a different plan for July 4 week, and then keep a watch on the weather. And make a plan for late July. smiling smiley
March 08, 2011 08:32PM
itchbay
That's what I was thinking as well. OK, so a different plan for July 4 week, and then keep a watch on the weather. And make a plan for late July. smiling smiley

I used to do backpacks surrounding the 4th. Only had a snow problem one year and that was above 10,000 feet.
March 08, 2011 09:03PM
Oh, I'm glad I re-read your first response. I thought you were saying I shouldn't count on it. *happy dance*

As much as I'd like to get up there and backpack in June to enjoy the wildflowers, I don't think I will be able to get the boy to do that. I'll be happy for car camping and day hikes. I need something to look forward to. smiling smiley
Re: Toulumne Meadows in July?
March 09, 2011 08:13AM
Just a note about last year, because yes, it WAS a snowy year. We backpacked over 4th of July weekend, and the snow level was around 8500 feet. That's just about Tuolumne Meadows. Anything higher than that would have a lot of snow.

But this year the snow levels are well above last year's. That doesn't mean the snow will be around in July---that depend on the weather between now and then. But the later you go, the better your chances.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 27, 2011 01:12AM
How are crowds in general at Toulumne Meadows during July compared to the valley? I have never camped there before.
March 27, 2011 06:23AM
DanPJ
How are crowds in general at Toulumne Meadows during July compared to the valley? I have never camped there before.

It much better than the Valley. Even better are the smaller campgrounds like Porcupine Flat and Yosemite Creek.
April 02, 2011 12:41AM
Thanks. Do these other campgrounds have as much "attractions" as one of the Pines campgrounds?
April 02, 2011 10:35AM
There are a lot of hiking trails, and a lot of people go into the lake, or is it a river?
April 13, 2011 05:44PM
I got some reservations mid July. Any chance the opening will be delayed?
April 13, 2011 05:47PM
fluxfluxa
I got some reservations mid July. Any chance the opening will be delayed?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't open by then.
April 17, 2011 10:47PM
Thanks. I just thought it was odd that the first availabity dates for booking was July 15, and knowing that the cables for half dome are often delayed, I was a bit worried that the campground may get delayed too... but seems like it would be ok.
April 13, 2011 06:31PM
Keep you eye on the web cams. If there is still some white stuff in the distant background in July then there will be wet stuff at TM.

Old Dude
April 13, 2011 07:13PM
As everyone else has said, its all dependent upon the weather between here and now. Hope for warm weather and maybe a warm snow with rain between then and now to get everything opened up early.
April 18, 2011 03:28PM
We had reservations in Tuolomne last July and received this message regarding our campsite:

“This notice is to inform campers with reservations for the Yosemite Tuolumne Meadows Campground to expect early spring-time conditions for the first few weeks of July. Due to late season storms and cool temperatures, you should anticipate snow on the ground in some areas, excess water, and many mosquitoes in the campground.”

We ended up canceling and found a spot in Hodgen Meadow instead. I don't mind the cold, but I mind the wet/muddy/sloshy especially when tent camping!
April 18, 2011 07:08PM
That was unfortunate. It may be wet again this year.
April 30, 2011 04:43PM
We got a site on July 1 that had some snow, but wasn't at all sloshy. Some of the spots next to the river were wet, but we were on the far side of the TM campground. More annoying for us was that the closer set of restrooms was closed, so we had to hike a ways to the next closest. Which doesn't sound too bad reading it here, but after a day of 12+ miles of hiking, it was a bit of a pain.

There were mosquitoes, but I figure those come with the territory.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login