Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Itinerary

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Meadows Itinerary
March 16, 2011 08:51AM
Our only Yosemite visit in 2005 saw a late opening of Tioga Road that we missed by one day. This summer we are returning in late July and have our last two nights reserved at TM! We plan to hit some shorter hikes on the day we arrive such as Tenaya and Lembert Dome, then Cathedral Lakes the next day. Upon checking out, we can either hit another day hike trail from the TM campground area or do North Dome Trail since it will be on our way back. Any thoughts or suggestions?
March 16, 2011 09:26AM
Just personal preference, but I enjoyed the hike to Gaylor Lakes area more than the one to Cathedral Lakes.
March 16, 2011 09:59AM
North Dome is pretty awesome, but so is Ten Lakes, and so is Gaylor. And I've always liked Saddlebag.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Itinerary
March 16, 2011 10:16AM
A nice and easy day hike from the TM Campground is to Elizabeth Lake...very pretty and a nice place to spend a few hours. I would do Cathedral Lake and the suurounding area. And any strolls up or down river can lead to a variety of swimming holes if that is what you are interested in (especially if you like really cold water!) You may also want to check out the swimming hole about 300 yards south of the wilderness permit kiosk parking lot.
Saddlebag Lake and the Twenty Lakes Basin is a great area as well, but it sounds like you will be driving on your other vacation days...it would probably be a nice break for you to stay out of the car for your time at TM. And there is plenty to do at TM without having to get into a car.
March 16, 2011 06:19PM
I'd vote for Gaylor Lakes as the most scenic...but Lembert Dome is also fun, You can find links to them all on our website, in the Yosemite part of our destinations section--with photos

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 16, 2011 10:20PM
If you don't mind a bit of easy off trail scrambling, you can follow the ridge up to the top of Gaylor Peak as you're hiking into the Gaylor Lakes basin.
Quite an amazing view of Tioga pass and Tuolumne Meadows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 10:24PM by qumqats.
April 02, 2011 12:54AM
There seems to be quite a bit of nice hiking trails here too. I need to look into this.
April 02, 2011 09:52AM
Yeah, I have to check TM out. Too bad all the reservations are booked except for large group sites.
April 02, 2011 02:23PM
DanPJ
Yeah, I have to check TM out. Too bad all the reservations are booked except for large group sites.

Remember 50% of the campsites at TM are first-come, first-served, so just get there early the day would like to camp there. Also, remember there are some nice campgrounds just outside of the park's Tioga Pass entrance (Tioga Lake and Saddleback Lake campgrounds) in the Inyo National Forest.
April 04, 2011 10:59AM
OH, I didn't know that. I will look into this option now. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login