Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Extensive Renovations Completed at Ahwahnee Hotel

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Extensive Renovations Completed at Ahwahnee Hotel
March 18, 2011 03:06PM
Extensive Renovations Completed at Ahwahnee Hotel
Date: March 17, 2011

Restoration and Upgrade Projects Concluded at Yosemite NP’s National Historic Landmark

After a three week shutdown to allow for extensive renovations to be completed, the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park has reopened today. Restaurants, shops, public spaces, and most of the guest rooms have reopened to the public.

The complex project was a collaborative effort between the National Park Service and DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc., the park’s primary concessioner. Multiple restoration, renovation, and upgrades to the historic structure were scheduled to be simultaneously completed during the compressed shutdown period for the hotel. Specific work completed at the Ahwahnee included an upgrade of the fire detection, alarm, and suppression system. Other completed projects included new flooring in the kitchen, upgrades to energy efficient appliances, completely redesigned public restrooms, staining of the wood in the guest registration area, and a refurbishment of the wood flooring in the Great Lounge. Additionally, specific areas were repainted, historical artifacts were refurbished, and restoration work was completed on historical furniture.

DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc. took the opportunity to replace carpeting throughout the halls of the hotel. Other work accomplished included new bed covers, new window treatments, many new beds, and upgrades to some of the guest rooms. Exterior work included a completely new guest walkway to the hotel lobby.

The Ahwahnee Hotel, completed in 1927, is a registered National Historic Landmark. It was commissioned by Stephen T. Mather, the first Director of the National Park Service. Mather felt that a grand hotel in Yosemite National Park was necessary to host dignitaries and influential people that would support Yosemite and other national parks throughout the country. The Ahwahnee Hotel is widely regarded as the crown jewel of national park lodges.

Work will continue on the fifth and sixth floor suites and they will reopen in mid-April of this year.
March 18, 2011 08:50PM
So how much is the cost to stay there going up to now?
avatar Re: Extensive Renovations Completed at Ahwahnee Hotel
March 18, 2011 10:12PM
If ya hafta ask......

Old Dude
March 19, 2011 12:14AM
mrcondron
If ya hafta ask......

At least one of us was able to resiting posting that!
March 20, 2011 08:24AM
My 11-day car rental this summer is probably cheaper than one night at this hotel.
March 20, 2011 09:14AM
tomdisco
My 11-day car rental this summer is probably cheaper than one night at this hotel.

The No Go Yugo:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=yugo+car&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nyWGTYjgO5SasAOl7Jn3AQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1259&bih=706

(But how are you going to get it from Reno down to the park? Pulled by a team of chick-ons?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 09:19AM by szalkowski.
March 21, 2011 06:28AM
szalkowski
tomdisco

The No Go Yugo:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=yugo+car&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nyWGTYjgO5SasAOl7Jn3AQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1259&bih=706

(But how are you going to get it from Reno down to the park? Pulled by a team of chick-ons?)

You got me thinking about that so I cancelled the car rental as well as my flight. Instead I've mastered beaming technology. I'm going to beam directly into the Yosemite wilderness from home. Meet you on Volunteer Peak. You have to walk in. Oh yeah, you got to pick up the permit also since I no longer suffer the woes of ground people, paperwork and such. I'll have supper ready.
March 20, 2011 04:15PM
hmmm..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 04:17PM by mtn man.
March 20, 2011 04:18PM
mrcondron
If ya hafta ask......

Yeah, I kinda thought that was going to be the answer.
March 26, 2011 11:53PM
The price was worth it to me. Last weekend, we took the train to Merced and a shuttle to the Ahwahnee for a weekend stay. It turned out to be a bit longer than we expected.
The hotel was lovely, with comfortable couches by huge roaring fireplaces, floor-to-ceiling windows looking out on magnificent scenery, and of course, the excellent restaurant. We were given a lovely corner balcony room overlooking the Royal Arches cataracts. The room was well appointed, with a large closet, large bathroom, table and chairs, sound system for our iphones, refrigerator, and king bed. We had dinner and spent the evening reading by the fire.
However, that night a big storm hit, knocking out power, closing roads, and causing all sorts of problems. When the lights went out at the Ahwahnee, it was totally dark...for about three minutes. Then, with a gentle buzz, the lights came back on. They have diesel generator backup!
The storm lasted for several days, and we were stranded. No one, including our AMTRAK shuttle, could enter or leave the park. The Ahwahnee extended our stay at a reduced rate, and arranged for our passage out of the park to connect with Amtrak as soon as it was feasible. The hotel also had enough diesel, food, and beverages to weather the storm. We found out later that others in the park were stranded at their hotels without heat, light, or hot water. What could have been a cold, stressful ordeal was actually a nice extended vacation. We enjoyed trekking all around the valley during the day and snuggling up by the fire or in our room at night.

Thank you Ahwahnee for making our stay so special.
March 22, 2011 07:24PM
I had brunch there once, expensive but good and fresh. Have considered getting a room there so my grandparents can join us. They are a bit too old to camp outdoors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login