Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Campgrounds for Large RV

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campgrounds for Large RV
March 26, 2011 03:37PM
We have a 40ft RV and noticed that Yosemite has very limited spaces for such a size. Are there any recommendations for nearby campgrounds that will accommodate us just in case we cannot obtain the valley sites? This will be for sometime in late August.
March 26, 2011 06:44PM
A recommendation to other RV forums are ok too.
March 26, 2011 08:53PM
The KOA in Midpines fits long RVs, and it's on the YARTS route so you can pay to ride into the Valley (an hour away.) Yosemite Pines RV resort has large sites as well. (Read reviews of these places to see if they suit you. I don't have any first hand knowledge of them.)

Another RVer shared these ideas:
www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html
www.rvparkhunter.com
www.rvparkreviews.com
camp-california.com
avatar Re: Campgrounds for Large RV
March 26, 2011 09:08PM
NacciNW
Yosemite Pines RV resort has large sites as well.

They did a massive spam of this site just a couple of hours ago. I'd avoid a business.
March 27, 2011 07:34AM
eeek
NacciNW
Yosemite Pines RV resort has large sites as well.

They did a massive spam of this site just a couple of hours ago. I'd avoid a business.

We're in the process of having NATO target the location.
(Devastatingly Yours)
The Marmots
March 27, 2011 12:34PM
Thanks for all the resources. Will look into them tonight. Really hoping to get one of the dozen sites in the valley though. I am a bit confused about the Yosemite Pines comments.
March 27, 2011 01:34PM
Marksm
Thanks for all the resources. Will look into them tonight. Really hoping to get one of the dozen sites in the valley though. I am a bit confused about the Yosemite Pines comments.

Yesterday afternoon (Saturday, 26 March), spam posts appeared on perhaps 40+ topic threads on this website. All that the posts contained was a link to the website of the Yosemite Pines RV park.
The posts were subsequently deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 01:35PM by szalkowski.
March 27, 2011 01:58PM
Marksm

It one heck of a mad rush for campsites in the valley when reservations open at 7 AM on the 15th of each month. It's not so bad if you're tent camping or driving a small RV. Pretty much any site will accommodate that kind of camping and one doesn't have to be too particular about choosing a site. If you have to be particular about your site's driveway length, it gets tricky. I personally think that homing in on a particular site is less likely to yield a reservation than just looking for all sites that meet your dates.

Still - I remember camping at Upper Pines. There were some sites with these huge 35 ft RVs with assorted pop-outs. They seemed rather shoehorned into their driveways, but I suppose the drivers had the requisite skill to do it. The camp hosts generally stay in large RVs, but I guess they don't have to worry about reserving their sites. Upper Pines lists a max of 35 ft. So far I've seen a few sites in North Pines list a max 38 ft vehicle length. There are two sites (36 and 38) at Lower Pines that list a 40 ft max length.
March 30, 2011 06:35PM
If you can't secure one of the few Yosemite Vally campsites that would accommodate your RV, you might want to try to reserve a campsite at either the Crane Flat or the Hodgdon Meadow campgrounds within Yosemite National Park that contain a bit more campsites that would accomodate a 40' RV.

Also, just a few miles outside of the Park's boundary, there's the Stanislaus National Forest Campground, Dimond O, that has a number of campsites that can accomodate a 40' RV. The booking window for the Dimond O Campground starts this Sunday, April 3rd: Dimond O Camground Information & Reservations
March 30, 2011 09:28PM
plawrence
Also, just a few miles outside of the Park's boundary, there's the Stanislaus National Forest Campground, Dimond O, that has a number of campsites that can accomodate a 40' RV. The booking window for the Dimond O Campground starts this Sunday, April 3rd: Dimond O Camground Information & Reservations
Nice place. It used to be my Boy Scout camp. It's a long ways from the Valley though.
March 31, 2011 12:16AM
Dave
plawrence

Nice place. It used to be my Boy Scout camp. It's a long ways from the Valley though.

But for campgrounds outside of the Park (that have campsites for 40' RVs), I think only the KOA campground in Midpines is closer, and I have read some not nice things about that KOA campground.

Besides, the Dimond O campground is a fine location for anyone who wants to explore the Hetch Hetchy region, and it's a bit closer to Tioga Road and the Tuolumne Meadows region of Yosemite than the Valley campgrounds.
March 27, 2011 01:37PM
The site descriptions for Yosemite campgrounds are completely inaccurate. You really need to go there in the off season, walk them all and note which ones you can fit into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 01:38PM by hotrod4x5.
April 02, 2011 12:18AM
If you don't have time, you can also try looking at the pictures of the campsites. There are a few linked on the bottom of the forums and if you google, there are a few other sites that have more images, I just don't remember. You may be able to estimate from there. If you have a trailer, you could also detach and park perpendicular or in day-time parking.
April 02, 2011 10:17AM
April 04, 2011 11:53AM
Thanks for the links... I have only seen two of the three.
March 30, 2011 09:26PM
The Mariposa Fair Grounds can easily accommodate your rig. Power and water hookups too. On grass. Showers. Not the prettiest spot, but it's cheap and close to town. About 45 minutes from the Arch Rock Entrance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login