All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Top of Bridalveil Fall
March 27, 2011 06:48PM
Anyone hiked from Glacier Point road to the top of Bridalveil Falls? We are very interested in making that trip this summer and looking for first hand information on route. On topo it looks like it's easiest to cut off Dewey/McGurk trail when you get to top of Bridalveil Creek. Any thoughts?
Re: Top of Bridalveil Fall
March 27, 2011 07:23PM
Max
Anyone hiked from Glacier Point road to the top of Bridalveil Falls? We are very interested in making that trip this summer and looking for first hand information on route. On topo it looks like it's easiest to cut off Dewey/McGurk trail when you get to top of Bridalveil Creek. Any thoughts?

Yes, I've done it by swimming down through the brush off the main trail near Dewey Point (opposite the Spires Gully notch), and also by following down the ridge on the north side of the creek, after crossing the bridge on the main trail. I've also done it by hiking well below the ridge on that north side of the creek, closer to the creek than the ridge. I wouldn't recommend any of those routes. The best way is to go up the Spires Gully from the Valley, then down to the creek and follow it to the falls. I've also done it by first climbing the Gunsight Route, a rock climb between Middle and Lower Cathedral Rocks.

Having said all that, you would be crazy to attempt this before August. The only sensible routes cross creek several times above the falls, which could be fatal. Like the numerous fatalities above Yosemite Falls, and it would really freak out the tourists down below when you landed in their midst. At an earlier time of year, you wouldn't get to the lip of the falls and back in one day, on any route that stays out of the creek.

See this link: link
March 27, 2011 07:40PM
I saw your stuff from last year before I posted by search site, thanks. So coming down from Dewey is a no go because of having to run the creek, right? Looking on topo and Google Earth that looks like the only way to HIKE down. Makes sense that it would be late in summer before attempting that. I've swam in the pool above Yosemite Falls when I was younger. Don't like that idea any more. So Spires Gully... interesting... no creek crossing... have to think about this... back at this later. Thanks
March 28, 2011 07:59PM
Max
I saw your stuff from last year before I posted by search site, thanks. So coming down from Dewey is a no go because of having to run the creek, right? Looking on topo and Google Earth that looks like the only way to HIKE down. Makes sense that it would be late in summer before attempting that. I've swam in the pool above Yosemite Falls when I was younger. Don't like that idea any more. So Spires Gully... interesting... no creek crossing... have to think about this... back at this later. Thanks

Even that route puts you in the creek near the end, unless you really want to mess around. But at low water it's just a hop-over, not a torrent. By the way, the best view over the edge (in low water) is just at the south side of where it pours over. If you want to lean out, there are some trees or bushes that you can tie a safety line to. See Chick-on's photo #20.
avatar Re: Top of Bridalveil Fall
March 27, 2011 07:28PM
Here are some Chick-omn pics from his trip last year.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Bridalveil#

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 06:27AM by mrcondron.
March 28, 2011 10:07PM
Those are very impressive photos. Makes me want to go myself during the winter now.
April 04, 2011 02:41PM
I always like checking out the photos in this forum. You guys always know the best places to go where no one else does.
March 28, 2011 12:17PM
Nice pics Mike.
March 28, 2011 07:01PM
They were taken by Chick-on's boss. Bill-e-g.

Old Dude
March 28, 2011 07:05PM
mrcondron
They were taken by Chick-on's boss. Bill-e-g.

I thought the Chick-on was the boss.
March 28, 2011 07:07PM
Well....

Old Dude
March 28, 2011 07:13PM
mrcondron
Well....

And with the GW being boss of all living things?
March 28, 2011 07:20PM
That's a fact!!

Old Dude
March 28, 2011 08:43PM
Wow those are awesome pictures. How long is that hike from that route?
March 28, 2011 09:38PM
Bill-e-g should chime in here and give a narrative on that hike.

Old Dude
March 29, 2011 07:48AM
mrcondron
Chick-on should chime in here and give a narrative on that hike.

Peas read the link pointed to by wherever. Tanks

Short answer is:
2 hrs to Top of Upper Cathedral
1 1/2 hrs from Upper Cathedral to top of Bridalveil
3 hrs to extricate myself

1 hr lounging at top of the falls
1/2 hr lounging atop Upper Cath

but YMMV

Again, if you don't like bush whacking... go to Upper Cath and call it a day.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 02, 2011 12:10AM
Hmm. I am going to bookmark these instructions and try one of these days. Sounds easier than it seems.
April 02, 2011 01:19AM
3 hours to extricate? Care to elaborate?
April 02, 2011 04:36AM
kingeorge
3 hours to extricate? Care to elaborate?

Obviously the time needed for the return hike back to the starting point.
(A much preferable course of action to that of bodysurfing over the fall.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2011 04:36AM by szalkowski.
April 02, 2011 10:03AM
bodysurfing will only take seconds though
April 04, 2011 10:30AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login