Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Temperature variation @ night from low to high elevations.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Temperature variation @ night from low to high elevations.
March 30, 2011 12:00PM
What kind of temperature change is there from the valley floor to say above LYV in June. Night time temps. especially. I have heard or read that it runs aprox. 15 degrees lower at higher elevations than the valley floor. Trying to plan for 2+ week trip from June 8th - 24th with my teenage sons. Gotta be comfortable!! Thanks for any info you may have!!
avatar Re: Temperature variation @ night from low to high elevations.
March 30, 2011 12:48PM
beardbuster
What kind of temperature change is there from the valley floor to say above LYV in June. Night time temps. especially. I have heard or read that it runs aprox. 15 degrees lower at higher elevations than the valley floor. Trying to plan for 2+ week trip from June 8th - 24th with my teenage sons. Gotta be comfortable!! Thanks for any info you may have!!

It's called the temperature lapse rate and is nominally around 3.5°F (2.0°C) for every 1k elevation gain.
March 30, 2011 04:56PM
If you are to be up there for a couple of weeks, you can't plan for average temperatures. You could get snow, freezing rain, and/or hard frost in June, even if that's not very common. Prepare for the worst case.
March 30, 2011 09:13PM
We stayed in the valley backpacker camp one night and hardly needed sleeping bags - lows were in the 50s. One dude in our party left his sleeping bag in the car, deciding he was fine to go another night in those temps... the temp in the campsites at LYV dropped to freezing the next night.

There are three factors: elevation, weather and local geography. If you camp in the bottom of a valley or canyon next to water you will be colder than if you are somewhat higher, say halfway up a ridge.

I prepare for 20F year round in the Sierra, regardless, unless the forecast is for 20-25F, in which case I prepare for lower than that!
April 04, 2011 03:23PM
Yeah, I have a 20 and a 0. Usually I bring the 20 unless the forecast tells me otherwise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login