All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best time for a babies 1st trip to Yosemite?
April 02, 2011 07:18AM
I know it can be a hassle with a new baby and all the crying when your camping, but its a tradition in my family to go camping every year. At what age or at what stage do you all believe it would be best for babies first camping trip to yosemite and during what time of the year?

Mrs. O.
Re: Best time for a babies 1st trip to Yosemite?
April 02, 2011 08:07AM
It all depends on the baby. We took our daughter camping when she was four months old. She loved the camping, and everything worked great until the drive home. Then she refused to sit in her car seat. We drove the last two hours with the windows down, the radio up load, and the kid screaming in the car seat!

Just plan your trip around what your baby likes to do. Hardest is when they are mobile and yet still eating dirt....camping is not so much fun then. Either before they are mobile, or after they learn not to put everything in their mouths!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 02, 2011 10:52AM
Balzaccom: how was she at night with the cold weather with feedings and diaper changes?
April 02, 2011 10:22PM
We were at lower elevations...it wasn't cold. And diaper changes aren't any different in a tent than they are in a station wagon...or an airport!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 02, 2011 09:56AM
Are you camping? We went camping with two families that had 1 yr old babies last summer mid June. They had a great time. They had a propane burner to warm up water for their milk, but kept it hot in a thermal container at night so they don't have to go rewarm it in the middle of the night. They also brought contained playpins so the babies wouldn't be crawling around on the dirt / eatting dirty :-).
April 02, 2011 10:06AM
If camping, I would check the temperature. Nights sometimes even in May might be too cold. I don't know how reliable though propane heaters are, but I believe it is not recommended to be place in tents. July and August might be the most comfortable temperature-wise.
April 02, 2011 10:49AM
I would like to go in late august early septemeber this year. Those are actually good ideas, tge thermos an playpen, I hadn't thought of that!
April 02, 2011 11:09AM
You might even be able to do some hikes, such as the Lower Falls one. Pretty flat. I have seen people carried infants though up the Misty Trails. I am not that brave myself, but I guess they have a lot of confidence.
avatar Re: Best time for a babies 1st trip to Yosemite?
April 02, 2011 02:59PM
If it's a small enough child (infant/toddler) a backpack child carrier could come in handy. And I agree with others, that late summer probably would be the best time, especially since it will be warmer, and more importantly, fewer mosquitoes.
April 04, 2011 10:26AM
Yeah, if there are a lot of mosquitoes, I would probably buy a tent or something that has netting. I went one year and came back with so many bites on my arms, legs, and neck.
avatar Re: Best time for a babies 1st trip to Yosemite?
April 03, 2011 10:04AM
Wicket
I have seen people carried infants though up the Misty Trails.

Someone with me carried one up to Clark Point last summer as his wife and I were coming down on the Panorama Trail.
April 04, 2011 02:32PM
I've seen hikers carrying infants in pouches all the time. They are usually sleeping but still, the outdoors is always better right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login