Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hite's Cove Wildflower Updates......

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hite's Cove Wildflower Updates......
April 02, 2011 07:38PM
I was there today. Saw some valley poppies, woodland stars, popcorn, goldfields, pretty face, blue dicks, POISON OAK, fringe pod, and a bunch of other stuff. It's all just starting. Next week should be great!
April 02, 2011 08:05PM
Great! Thanks for the update. I really appreciate it.
April 02, 2011 08:47PM
Also there is a ton of downed trees across the trail. A particularly bad one involving multiple trees turned us around about halfway - some of our group wouldn't have been able to get through it. Hopefully that will all be cleared by next weekend, someone was already cutting away some of the deadfall.
avatar Re: Hite's Cove Wildflower Updates......
April 02, 2011 10:04PM
AlmostThere
Also there is a ton of downed trees across the trail. A particularly bad one involving multiple trees turned us around about halfway - some of our group wouldn't have been able to get through it. Hopefully that will all be cleared by next weekend, someone was already cutting away some of the deadfall.
I don't know if there is any group that maintains the trail. I'll check into it on Monday. Maybe I can get permission to go out there with a chainsaw.

Anyone want to be part of a work party?
April 05, 2011 08:10AM
Dave
AlmostThere
I don't know if there is any group that maintains the trail. I'll check into it on Monday. Maybe I can get permission to go out there with a chainsaw.

Anyone want to be part of a work party?

Talked to the FS office - they are sending someone out today to check the trail. They didn't know it was that bad.

Additionally, I am setting up our hiking group as a potential source of trailwork volunteers.
April 05, 2011 08:21AM
AlmostThere
Talked to the FS office - they are sending someone out today to check the trail. They didn't know it was that bad.
They'll take care of the trees then.

Additionally, I am setting up our hiking group as a potential source of trailwork volunteers.
Count me in. I've done a lot of trail repair with volunteer crews. I even took a class on trail building/repair.
April 04, 2011 10:24AM
Yeah, thanks for the update. I want to go and check out the flowers, not so much the poison ivy.
April 04, 2011 11:42AM
Sherry
Yeah, thanks for the update. I want to go and check out the flowers, not so much the poison ivy.

Poison oak - there are a few places it is in the trail, but you don't have to touch it to get around it. Have Ivy Block and long sleeves and you are good.

(No ivy in California.)

Be careful where you step. There are places where the trail is cracked and sinking... passable but it's clear that erosion is in progress.
April 04, 2011 11:51AM
Ivy Block?
April 04, 2011 12:06PM
eeek
Ivy Block?

A lotion you apply before you go - works equally well on Poison Oak.

I usually just take Tecnu and wash afterward, but some people prefer the pre-app lotions.
April 04, 2011 06:32PM
AlmostThere
eeek
Ivy Block?

A lotion you apply before you go - works equally well on Poison Oak.

I usually just take Tecnu and wash afterward, but some people prefer the pre-app lotions.

Ivy Block is $18 per bottle and has a shorter expiry date, Tecnu is...$8 or so per bottle with a longer expiry date (checking rei.com...not sure what the $18 "Tecnu eXtreme is...).

Of course, I've had better luck with Ivy Block than Tecnu, so there is that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 06:34PM by ttilley.
April 04, 2011 11:00PM
Saturday did some wildflower work along serpentine areas of state route 49 between Sonora and Mariposa. By mid afternoon became too breezy for still flowers so I spent some time checking other areas in the region. Thus late afternoon drove into the lower Merced River Canyon. Noticed redbud were near peak which normally occurs early to mid March. The big steep grassland slopes were lushly green but showed little color and rather unusual few roadside flowers of any species yet blooming. It was also cloudy so any poppies would have been closed up much of the day. As a comparison the peak of the incredible 2009 bloom was between March 10 and March 24. Would expect at least a couple weeks will need to pass.

Given the recent March deluge, along SR49 serpentine areas is an explosion of yellow species, goldfields, madia, common monkeyflowers, butter-and-eggs and could see green herbs of other usual species like clarkias just rising. So hopefully the Merced River canyon areas that always bloom a bit later given a few warm sunny days will be following.

Buckbrush and goldfields

Madia and tidy tips:

Here madia, goldfields, birds-eye-gilia, and a few early clarkia:

David Senesac
http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 11:01PM by DavidSenesac.
April 18, 2011 03:13PM
I just want to run though that.
April 21, 2011 02:51PM
Nice shots Dave! Where are these coves? Are they in Yosemite somewhere?
April 22, 2011 11:19AM
April 23, 2011 04:20PM
Just south of Yosemite a bit.
April 23, 2011 05:58PM
April 23, 2011 08:06PM
April 24, 2011 04:13PM
I need to swing back to the coves at some point. We always run out of time.
April 10, 2011 08:46AM
I was there yesterday. Nothing new. Next weekend, with warmer temps all week, should be pretty good.
April 17, 2011 11:10PM
Those are great pics. I really need to check out the fields.
April 18, 2011 01:54PM
I never knew about this cove. I'm driving near there in a few weeks and should check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 01:54PM by camper68.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login