All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 11, 2011 01:20PM
The Lodge bike stand is open for the season.
Re: Biking
April 18, 2011 02:53PM
Are there many bike trails in the valley? I am deciding whether to bring my bike or not. If there aren't many, I might just rent one to deal less with the hassle of getting it up there.
April 18, 2011 03:04PM
I'm not sure there are many trails. I see people bike mostly on the roads. Often, bike's are prohibited to go pass certain points when you get to the hiking trails.
April 18, 2011 03:58PM
There aren't many dedicated bike roads. I would be careful when it gets crowded like in July though because you won't have much room to bike except early AM.
April 18, 2011 04:11PM
There are no bike trails, but there are bike paths. We use our bikes to get around to avoid the crowds. It is a nice way to get around and enjoy the scenery! There are bike racks at many popular stops, but bring a lock! The rental bikes don't come with a lock and people might accidentally walk off with yours smiling smiley

The nps.gov/yose site has a map of the paths you can ride.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/biking.htm
May 08, 2011 11:54PM
Thanks. I guess it is a good source of transportation around the valley anyhow. We will try to bring our bikes.
May 09, 2011 08:15PM
We always bring our bikes when we go to the valley. It's just a great way to get around.
April 18, 2011 04:35PM
Biking is one of the better ways to enjoy Yosemite. In general there are bike paths (which at times on the east end are shared with shuttle buses) that will take you all the way from Yosemite Lodge in the west to Happy Isles and Mirror Lake in the east. A really nice ride that gets you away from traffic and crowds is from Awahnee Meadow up to the back side of the Awahanee hotel (you cross two bridges that give you great views of the river and Half Dome) and on to Mirror Lake, and back down to Yosemite stables. Also from the Pines campgrounds up the shuttle bus road, around the Happy isles/Stables loop is really nice. You can't take bikes on the hiking trails. Oh by the way rental bikes aren't exactly cheap.
April 18, 2011 05:56PM
The bike rental is pretty pricey and the bike paths are really limited. It is however nice just to bike around the roads and meadows. It provides a different experience all together.
April 20, 2011 08:54PM
Is this run by the National Park or private? How pricey? I don't mind paying if it goes to the park.
April 20, 2011 09:18PM
caldrich
Is this run by the National Park or private?

Do you mean bike rentals? If so, it's private.

How pricey? I don't mind paying if it goes to the park.

$25/day http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_Biking_BikeRentals.aspx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 09:18PM by eeek.
April 22, 2011 11:08AM
Thanks eeek. That's not too bad for a full days rental. Less hassle then trying to bring our bikes up.
May 09, 2011 09:32AM
Come early too because they do sell out quick.
April 24, 2011 03:26PM
With the congestion during the summer months, biking will probably save you a lot on time waiting for the shuttles or driving. You also get a 360 view of the valley.
April 30, 2011 09:29AM
The catch is that, the cars will take up the roads and it is extremely difficult and maneuver on the roads. You will have to stick to paths closed to cars.
May 09, 2011 10:09PM
I agree that it isn't usually a good idea to ride on roads open to cars, but you can get to (or very near) Yosemite Lodge, Curry Village, the Pines campgrounds, Happy Isles, Mirror Lake, the Ahwahnee and Yosemite Village without ever having to leave bike paths or roads closed to traffic.
April 30, 2011 05:16PM
I love biking through the meadows towards Alawhanee. It is very surreal.
April 30, 2011 12:35PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably just rent the bikes then if I decide to bike there.
May 06, 2011 03:17PM
Glad to hear that there are paths we can bike. Going to load the children's bikes on the roof!
May 08, 2011 11:10PM
If you are fortunate to have sites in a less crowded loop, they would have fun biking around. Just let them know to be careful become some of the drivers do drive pretty fast through the campsites, especially the college kids.
May 13, 2011 08:58PM
Bikes are now $28/day or $10/hr. There's also an extra charge for helmets and if you are under 18 you have to wear one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login