Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Waterfall

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Waterfall
April 17, 2011 08:00AM
I am trying to organize and label over 200 photos from my recent visit to Yosemite.
Can you tell me which waterfall this is?

April 17, 2011 08:02AM
put them all in a site like picasa and someone can help you w/them all if you like.
(or you an just post them one at a time)

That is Bridalveil
April 17, 2011 08:04AM
Taken from "Valley View"
April 18, 2011 12:07AM
We can play Jeopardy with the pictures! BUZZZZZ!!! (Insert answer)

Of course, we all know who would win....Chick-on is looking at you!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
April 17, 2011 10:45PM
How many waterfalls are there in yosemite? Is there a list somewhere?
April 17, 2011 11:28PM
Wiki: List of Yosemite waterfalls

This looks like a quite incomplete list, it lists some odd ones, and most likely doesn't list others.
April 18, 2011 12:50AM
fluxfluxa
How many waterfalls are there in yosemite? Is there a list somewhere?

A quick scan of the official USGS Names database reveals about 31 officially named waterfalls within Yosemite National Park.
April 18, 2011 01:44PM
I didn't know there were so many! I would be lucky to see maybe 3-5. I might need to try to head up earlier this year before it dries out.
April 18, 2011 03:20PM
There has been a lot of snow this year, so I would expect all 31 (or more) will be flowing.
April 18, 2011 06:55PM
There are probably closer to 100 or more waterfalls in the park although most are not named. A 7.5min topo will label falls as such even though they are unnamed.

Old Dude
April 18, 2011 07:03PM
100. I wasn't aware there are that many. That's what I love about Yosemite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 07:04PM by Wicket.
April 18, 2011 07:05PM
When the water is really flowing there are about ten falls visible from the dam in HH.

Old Dude
April 18, 2011 07:09PM
Yeah, when Wapama and Tueeulala Falls are flowing, there are quite a few other stream trickle run offs flowing as well.
April 18, 2011 07:28PM
Wicket
100. I wasn't aware there are that many. That's what I love about Yosemite.

An exact count gets a bit difficult since many are ephemeral, unnamed and/or quite small (in the springtime, almost any trail that climbs along a hill or cliffside will pass numerous "waterfalls" some of which could just as easily be called "random snow melt" except that it's in the same place every year. Fern Springs, just beyond the Pohono Bridge on the Southside Drive runs all year but is only a foot or so high (and is named)...is it more of a "waterfall" than a trickle of a creek that cascades down several feet as it meanders through the woods?

To me, which ones are waterfall(s) (technically, a "waterfall" drops in a single leap and a "waterfalls" makes two or more seperate leaps...thus it's Yosemite Falls but Nevada Fall), which are cascades, which are ephemeral snow melt...none of that really matters...it's just part of the magic of a place like Yosemite to be able to see beauty in everything from a 3000 foot cascade to tiny trickles in the woods.

Probably my hands-down favorite view of a waterfall is to stand at the top of Nevada and look down at the raging torrent...it's actually an intensely spiritual experience for me. Equally mind-blowing to me, however, is a little spot, when you cross over the top of Nevada and go a couple dozen yards into the woods on the JMT...it's probably ephemeral (although it's been running every time I've been there) and certainly unnamed, but there's what's not much more of a trickle of water shimmering down the moss-covered rocks to the left of the trail. I think it's exquisitely beautiful and the contrast of this fairy-land gentleness with the raging torrent of Nevada is every bit as mind-boggling to me as either Nevada or the moss-covered trickle-fall!

I think the majority of us on this list have seen a LOT more of Yosemite than the average attendee but I can't hold a candle to somebody like chick-on when it comes to finding all the out-of-the-way parts of the Park (although I like to think I do pretty well given that I live 3000 miles away!). Even so, although I've never stopped to count, I've probably come across at least 50-75 waterfalls and the areas north of Tioga Road and East of LYV are almost completely unknown to me.

One thing's for sure...this time of year, they'll be lots of water pretty much everywhere. This time of THIS year, there will most likely be WAY more than usual.

--David
April 18, 2011 08:02PM
I can't wait this year. Around when does it dry out?
May 06, 2011 02:37PM
As long as the water is moving vertically, for long distances... I'll call it a waterfall. What is the fascination with waterfalls anyway?
April 30, 2011 05:29PM
This will be a great year. Never knew there were that many waterfalls. I feel cheated previous years.
April 20, 2011 05:21PM
Who gets to name them? Are they like stars?
April 20, 2011 05:35PM
michaelrosso
Who gets to name them? Are they like stars?

The U.S. Board on Geographic Names: http://geonames.usgs.gov/
April 20, 2011 06:07PM
eeek is wrong. Send me a $50 dollar bill and I will Grant you permission to name or even rename a waterfall.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 06:37PM by mrcondron.
April 20, 2011 06:58PM
...published in "book form" with the U.S. Copyright Office?
April 20, 2011 07:04PM
That's an extra $50.

Old Dude
April 20, 2011 08:35PM
Do you sit on the board or something?
April 20, 2011 08:42PM
Nope.

Old Dude
April 20, 2011 09:32PM
No, but he is full of it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 23, 2011 04:59PM
You guys always pick on Mike. Leave him be :-).
April 23, 2011 05:00PM
If I didn't get picked on I wouldn't get any attention at all.

Old Dude
April 24, 2011 04:37PM
You should sit on the board, and name all the waterfalls after yourself. That way, you will get more attention.
April 24, 2011 06:36PM
eddy
You should sit on the board, and name all the waterfalls after yourself. That way, you will get more attention.

But one of the rules is nothing gets named after a person that is still alive.
April 30, 2011 09:32AM
Well, it might be worth it :-)... live forever in the name of a waterfall.
April 21, 2011 06:37AM
mrcondron
eeek is wrong. Send me a $50 dollar bill and I will Grant you permission to name or even rename a waterfall.

If you don't have a 50 he will take a 30, three 6's and a 2, or just a couple of 25's.
April 22, 2011 01:00PM
You guys are silly.
April 30, 2011 12:29PM
When was this picture taking? That's a lot of water for bridalveil.
May 01, 2011 10:50AM
In case Jeff doesn't come back... I tell u...

Either April 6, 7, or 8, 2011

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 01, 2011 11:15AM
This reminds of my first trip to Yosemite in mid-May 2005. We spent nearly a week there and managed to see all the main falls, plus a lot of the high-water year falls. At the end of the trip we went to the gift shop, to get postcards for my family. I had to have the boy tell me which fall was which. I didn't recognize any of the postcard images because that's not what the falls looked like when I saw them that year.

When we tried to get up to Bridalveil, it was totally flooded. The viewing area was in the fall.

When we went back in June the next year, I was amazed at how different everything looked. And also to see that you could walk around in the meadow (on the trail).

That's the beauty of the natural world. It's always a little bit different.
May 06, 2011 01:46AM
That's one of the best aspects about nature, it is always changing, always evolving. Not even the same time of year, an area will be the same as the last.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login