Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Low cost lodging?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Low cost lodging?
April 17, 2011 10:35PM
After seeing photos of my recent trip to Yosemite, my brother is thinking about going there this summer. But he is looking for some place low cost to stay... probably just out side of the park. What places would you recommend?
April 17, 2011 10:54PM
Sorry, there's no low-cost lodging just outside of the park, except maybe at Fish Camp. More reasonably priced lodging I think starts out about 10 to 15 miles out of the park, at Buck Meadows along Hwy 120, or Midpines along Hwy 140. Farther out, in Oakhurst and Mariposa, there well be more reasonably priced, and higher quality motels. East of Yosemite National Park, near Mono Lake, the town of Lee Vining offers some reasonably price accommodations, but that's best suited for people who would like to explore Tuolumne Meadows and other areas off Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park, and not those most interested in visiting Yosemite Valley, though it's still doable.
April 17, 2011 11:23PM
define "low cost"
factor in to the equation that "just outside of the park" is 30 to 60 minutes to drive into the valley unless you're at Yosemite West or Foresta, but those aren't "low cost"
it might just be easier to stay at Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge ( if you can get a room reserved, ( not easy ) )
consider camping at campgrounds, that opens up a lot more possibilities, and can be quite low in cost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 11:25PM by qumqats.
April 17, 2011 11:29PM
April 18, 2011 06:06AM
In the park: Curry Village tent cabins are the cheapest. Next are probably the condos in Yosemite West; they have the added advantage of a kitchen so you don't pay for meals.
Outside the park I think the tent cabins at Indian Flat RV Resort (30 minutes to Yosemite Valley?) or Yosemite Bug Hostel/Resort (50-60 min?) are the next closest and cheapest.

If he has camping gear, then a campsite or a one-person "space" at Camp4 is a great deal; Housekeeping Camp is the next best price.
April 18, 2011 01:33PM
You can try to show up super early for Camp 4, first come first serve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login