Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Food storage limits.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Food storage limits.
April 23, 2011 10:10AM
I remember in Glen Aulin HSC last year there was some restriction on how long food could be in the bear box. Does anyone know what the limit is? I was thinking about putting some food in at Sunrise HSC for two or three days.
April 23, 2011 10:13AM
That should be no problem but it would be a good idea to put a note on stating the date on which you will remove it.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 10:13AM by mrcondron.
April 23, 2011 04:47PM
Just leave your name and dates and it should be fine.
April 24, 2011 04:02PM
I never had a problem storing food there for a few days.
April 26, 2011 04:23PM
Thanks
April 26, 2011 05:44PM
Those bear boxes get awful hot inside during the day if they get sun on them. Maybe take a tarp or something to cover it with while you are away? Secure it with large rocks or something so the wind doesn't blow it away? Any perishables in the bear box with sun on it after a few days will be perished.
April 26, 2011 05:50PM
mtn man
Those bear boxes get awful hot inside during the day if they get sun on them. Maybe take a tarp or something to cover it with while you are away? Secure it with large rocks or something so the wind doesn't blow it away? Any perishables in the bear box with sun on it after a few days will be perished.

Or if possible find and use a bear box that is shaded by trees.
April 26, 2011 06:28PM
As long as it's not a nylon tarp. Those make things under them warmer.

Shade trees are the best bet. There's plenty of boxes in the shade - the bank of boxes at Tuolumne Meadows, near the Dog Lake trailhead, are all in the shade.
April 27, 2011 04:31PM
I was asking specifically about bear boxes at Sunrise HSC. It would all be dried or dehydrated backpacking food. Thanks again.
April 30, 2011 08:57AM
I've stored food at Sunrise HSC before. It is not that regulated so you should be fine. Depending on time of yer though, the boxes might be a bit full. When are you going?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login