Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Giant Redwoods

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Giant Redwoods
April 23, 2011 11:12PM
I did not get to see any giant Sequoia trees during my recent visit to California, but I thought these big Redwood and Pine along the path to Lower Yosemite Falls were quite impressive.

April 24, 2011 01:11AM
JeffTheGreat
I did not get to see any giant Sequoia trees during my recent visit to California, but I thought these big Redwood and Pine along the path to Lower Yosemite Falls were quite impressive.

Those aren't redwoods.
April 24, 2011 11:30AM
eeek
JeffTheGreat

Those aren't redwoods.

Cedars?

There is a giant sequoia on the grounds of the Ahwahnee. It's not the altitude for one to grow naturally, but a ranger said it was planted there. There's a giant sequoia planted by John Muir himself at John Muir National Historic Site. Although Giant Sequoias grow naturally at 5000+ ft elevation, they can easily be planted. I've heard they've been planted as ornamental trees around the world.
April 24, 2011 02:31PM
That is kind of artificial of them to plant a sequoia there when it doesn't naturally grow there.
April 24, 2011 03:05PM
It's my understanding that there was a lot of "artificial" activity going on until as recent as about 20 years ago.

For example, all those great vistas around the valley were created by trimming back trees that might block the view. And didn't they used to dredge Mirror lake to keep it a lake? I'm sure there are several on this board who know more about the current policies than I, but I recall hearing a ranger say that they aren't doing that anymore. Or at least, less of it. And, instead, letting nature do its thing.
April 24, 2011 04:40PM
I never knew that there was a board that tried to help prevent Yosemite from changing its natural course. Good for them, finally letter nature take its course.
April 24, 2011 05:36PM
itchbay
For example, all those great vistas around the valley were created by trimming back trees that might block the view.

Which they just recently did again at Tunnel View.
April 24, 2011 06:28PM
itchbay
It's my understanding that there was a lot of "artificial" activity going on until as recent as about 20 years ago.

For example, all those great vistas around the valley were created by trimming back trees that might block the view. And didn't they used to dredge Mirror lake to keep it a lake? I'm sure there are several on this board who know more about the current policies than I, but I recall hearing a ranger say that they aren't doing that anymore. Or at least, less of it. And, instead, letting nature do its thing.

The natural environment of Yosemite has been altered by man even when the Ahwahnechee lived there. The Ahwahnechee would actively work to surpress the growth of the pine forest in Yosemite Valley so the pine forest wouldn't encroach on the native oaks which were a major source of food for the Ahwahnechee. They did this by setting the ground around the young pine saplings on fire (the original prescribed burns of the valley floor).
April 30, 2011 12:00AM
You guys are ruining my perception of Yosemite. It's all just a lie smiling smiley
April 30, 2011 01:19AM
In many ways, it is no different than Disneyland.
April 30, 2011 10:37AM
fluxfluxa
In many ways, it is no different than Disneyland.

It many ways it's not:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/shaggy-bear.jpg.html
April 30, 2011 11:58AM
no different
April 30, 2011 12:00PM
Big difference -- the bears in Yosemite don't sing!

winking smiley
April 30, 2011 04:55PM
They do eat human food and get into cars :-).
May 06, 2011 01:30AM
April 26, 2011 07:45AM
Marksm
That is kind of artificial of them to plant a sequoia there when it doesn't naturally grow there.

It's rather artificial of them to put a building there too. Or the lawn. Or the shrubbery. Or the parking lot.

It's a hotel. They've got a pool and used to have a 9-hole golf course with par-3 holes. There's a whole lot in Yosemite that didn't (or still doesn't) naturally grow there. You think the apple orchards in Yosemite got there naturally?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 11:14AM by y_p_w.
April 24, 2011 11:40AM
I believe the trees in the forefront of my photo are Ponderosa Pine. But I thought some of the trees up the line were redwood.
Can some one run over there and check? smiling smiley
April 24, 2011 01:17PM
The trees that are not Ponderosas are most likely Incense Cedars. The only coastal redwoods I know about in the valley are in the parking lot of the Ahwahnee. There are four Sequoias (which are also called "redwoods" ) in the graveyard planted by Galen Clark around his gravesite. I've also read that there is a Sequoia in the old village area--this would be near the Sentinel Bridge. None of these "redwoods" occur naturally in Yosemite Valley.
April 24, 2011 08:41PM
I agree. Foreground ones are Ponderosa. Some the others are Incense.

If/Whenever you are back... there is a nice interpretive display at the
Indian Village by the museum that has many of the trees the
Indians used along with a nearby sample. Included is the
Incense Cedar.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 25, 2011 10:09PM
They should build a matching stone wall on the other side of that path in the photo.
A grand entrace befits the grandest waterfall in North America.
April 26, 2011 07:13AM
Speaking of unatural things supported by the Park service, how about the rock dam maintained by the Park service that keeps Nevada falls from it's natural course. Does the Park service still maintain this?
April 26, 2011 09:48AM
jimbo
Speaking of unatural things supported by the Park service, how about the rock dam maintained by the Park service that keeps Nevada falls from it's natural course. Does the Park service still maintain this?

It's still there. I assume it's maintained by NPS. After all it's the only thing keeping the Mist trail from being washed away every time Merced river is high. The gully that Mist Trail comes up to get to the bathrooms above Nevada Fall is a natural overflow channel for the Merced River during high water. The dam keeps this from happening.

The low point between the trail junction / bathrooms, and the top of Nevada Fall is the start of this natural channel. When the trail crosses this area look towards the river and you'll see a low wall of rocks cemented together. Thats the dam. It's only a couple of feet tall.

The last big flood washed the dam down the gully and took a bunch of Mist trail with it. That entire section of Mist trail had to be rebuilt from scratch.
April 26, 2011 08:21PM
To my knowledge, the “California Redwood” only naturally occurs in a narrow coastal band of forest areas from about Monterey California, up into southern Oregon - and that’s it.

The Giant Sequoia only naturally resides in California and only in some select locations in the western Sierran slopes.

There exists one other member of the “Redwood” family; the “Dawn Redwood” .. only found in some remote mountainous area of western China. Though as is true of the preceding two members of the Redwood family, one can view specimens lots of places, replanted in various habitats.

(I saw a sequoia in Southern Germany once .. there’s a Dawn Redwood in Humboldt Redwoods State Park’s interpretive nature exhibit …etc., etc.)

There used to be as many as 14 different members of the Redwood Family (as long ago as the dinosaur era)

I helped my grandson with a school project so I read up on some of this …

Not sure what’s in that picture though … Ponderosa Pine usually have this distinctive “jig-saw” plate pattern on their bark … maybe I just can’t see it there .. besides them, the most notable “giant” tree I think would be the sugar pines …
April 26, 2011 11:23PM
Anvanho
To my knowledge, the “California Redwood” only naturally occurs in a narrow coastal band of forest areas from about Monterey California, up into southern Oregon - and that’s it.

"About" Monterey? Some of the trees got lost. There are redwoods some miles south of there....

One example, and not the most southerly grove.

Silver Peak Wilderness is farther south and also contains redwoods. It's not far north of San Luis Obispo. But, you could say Monterey County and be correct.

Those are probably Ponderosa pines in the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 11:30PM by AlmostThere.
May 06, 2011 02:24PM
Yup, Ponderosa pines.
May 09, 2011 12:05AM
Thanks for the lesson. I remember the first time being in the valley and wonder where all the redwoods are. Now, I know to venture elsewhere.
April 28, 2011 07:45PM
I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Alfred Joyce Kilmer, 1914
May 09, 2011 08:49AM
A poem about a poem about a tree... I find it amusing.
May 09, 2011 10:59AM
Perhaps this will help with seeing the difference:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/seki/cm-dsc_1340.jpg.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login