Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: September Backpacking Trip Suggestions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September Backpacking Trip Suggestions
April 27, 2011 09:36AM
I'm looking to tie together a short backpacking trip (3 days/2 nights) and a summit of Half Dome. I'm looking to spend the 2nd night in Little Yosemite Valley, but need suggestions for the first night. I'm open to leaving from Happy Isles or Glacier or... Trip will be in mid-September.
April 27, 2011 10:24AM
Since you can't camp between Happy Isles and LYV, you're going to go from Glacier Point or Mono Meadow trailhead and spend the first night in Ilillouette drainage, 4 miles up the trail from Glacier Point. There are no other camping options starting from the valley. Unless you want to do the entire Pohono trail first.

Starting from Tioga Rd trailhead(s) would give you options for dispersed camping or a High Sierra Camp backpacker campground for the first night.
April 27, 2011 10:38AM
I'm open to going further the first night and then coming back to LYV the second. Just need some ideas on the best options.
avatar Re: September Backpacking Trip Suggestions
April 27, 2011 06:36PM
Sandpiper11
I'm open to going further the first night and then coming back to LYV the second. Just need some ideas on the best options.

If you come in from Tenaya Lake trailhead you can knockoff Clouds Rest and camp near the Half Dome junction, do Half Dome on day two as a day hike from your campsite, hike back towards Tenaya, and then camp somewhere near a Sunrise Lake for the second night.

Old Dude
April 30, 2011 08:52AM
That is what my buddies and I did a few years ago. It worked out great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login