Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trails around Hodgdon Meadows?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trails around Hodgdon Meadows?
May 02, 2011 03:14PM
Failing to secure a site in the valley for this weekend, I got a campsite at Hodgdon Meadows. I've never been there and it's about time I started to explore that area of the park. THe valley and Tuolumne Meadows I know fairly well, Wawona a bit, but not the entrance part of the park. What do you recommend in terms of trails? I'll have my two girls aged 5.5 and 7.5 years old with me but they're good hikers and can do 5 - 8 miles with elevation without problem. Thanks for your recs..
avatar Re: Trails around Hodgdon Meadows?
May 02, 2011 04:31PM
You could go to Hetch Hetchy from there.
May 09, 2011 09:42AM
any other recommended trails aroudn there this time of year?
May 09, 2011 11:23AM
We were going to explore a trail that starts off Big Oak Flat Road across from Foresta that heads up to Cascade Creek.
May 09, 2011 05:04PM
itchbay
We were going to explore a trail that starts off Big Oak Flat Road across from Foresta that heads up to Cascade Creek.

FYI, at the point this trail hits Cascade Creek, you'll have come to the Old Big Oak Flat Road. Before you get there, you'll also cross over Wildcat and Tamarack Creeks. This time of year, Tamarack will probably be tricky (and potentially dangerous (as in "don't try it if you're not really comfortable with your crossing route"winking smiley) this time of year.

Let us know what you end up doing (and post pictures if you take any).

--David K
May 22, 2011 07:21PM
Sadly, we had to cancel our trip. With any luck, we'll get to TM sometime this summer. But I'm intrigued in this trail, as well as doing Old Big Oak Flat Road, and trying some of the others mentioned in this thread. Maybe when our schedule settles down a bit and our finances improve, we'll get out there to give them a try.
May 09, 2011 11:35AM
Try Carlon Falls (off Evergreen rd.) (first bridge across South Fork)

Try Lookout Pt. (ask for map at HH entrance)

Take a shower in Wapama

Itchy, you will probably get stymied at Tamarack Creek.
At least it will be a challenge to cross.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 22, 2011 03:42PM
Very disappointed not a single person said anything about Carlon.

It is AMAZING.

May 22, 2011 06:17PM
chick-on
Try Carlon Falls (off Evergreen rd.) (first bridge across South Fork)

That one's new to me. How long is the hike (and how much gain of course)?
May 23, 2011 09:15AM
Not far. And very simple. 1.5 miles to the upper fall. Maybe couple hundred feet gain almost all at the end.
Just gorgeous.

I took video it was so nice:

Also of note in the area... (esp. for DavidK42... The Carlon Hotel was on the other side of
the river (the south side)... and there is an old road that starts at the picnic area
(Carlon Meadow) and heads up to Hodgen Mdw/Ranch area that you may want to check out)
I only went up .5 mile up the road... if you want pix... lemme know..

May 23, 2011 10:15AM
chick-on
Also of note in the area... (esp. for DavidK42... The Carlon Hotel was on the other side of
the river (the south side)... and there is an old road that starts at the picnic area
(Carlon Meadow) and heads up to Hodgen Mdw/Ranch area that you may want to check out)
I only went up .5 mile up the road... if you want pix... lemme know..

Thanks, chick-on...I was aware of that road but I've not been on it yet. I don't recall reading about the Carlon Hotel, though...that's a new one for me. When we leave the Park, my wife and I are always looking for "just one more" quick hike we can stop and do on the way back out to the coast and this sounds like a perfect candidate!

As for pix...you still have to ASK if I want pix? I LOVE going through your pix! hot smiley

--David
May 04, 2011 07:33PM
We're probably going to be staying there next weekend ourselves. My favorite guide book only shows two hikes in that area: Merced Grove and Toulumne Grove. We hiked Merced Grove a couple of years ago in June, and it was lovely. Lots of butterflies and wildflowers. I imagine with the dogwood starting to bloom, it will be lovely this time too. It's a small hike, though. Nothing strenuous. We went out past where the pavement ended, and followed a little use trail down to a creek.

I haven't hiked Toulumne Grove, but may consider that for this trip.

I adore Hetch Hetchy, and will likely advocate for a short hike there on our return-home day, at the least.

Edited: To correct the names of the hikes. I had them mixed up. We hiked the smaller Merced Grove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 09:39PM by itchbay.
May 04, 2011 08:29PM
I was there last weekend (Hetch Hetchy)...there's plenty of water in the falls (Wapama, Tweeulala, and a bonus), and Rancheria Falls was nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 08:29PM by ttilley.
May 05, 2011 12:51PM
I love Hetch Hetchy. We visit nearly every time we're in Yosemite, even if it's just for a quick walk down to the dam.
May 18, 2011 04:18PM
Last year, May 7 2010, we were in Tuolomne Grove. There was a fair bit of snow spanning the road heading down. I imagine this year it will be completely covered until at least June.
May 18, 2011 04:28PM
Treeswing
Last year, May 7 2010, we were in Tuolomne Grove. There was a fair bit of snow spanning the road heading down. I imagine this year it will be completely covered until at least June.

March last year:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dscn4216.jpg.html

Anybody have something current to compare with?
May 22, 2011 03:38PM
eeek
Anybody have something current to compare with?
You have to go?

Do you want Fri or Sun?

May 18, 2011 06:01PM
While I'm in the topic: We'll be in Hodgdon Meadows very close to the new moon late this month(and what little is illuminated rises late - woohoo!). Any suggestions for a short night walk to get some stargazing in?
May 18, 2011 07:22PM
frogmom
... What do you recommend in terms of trails? ...
Be sure to ask at the Entrance Station, or even the Visitor Center at Big Oak Flat. They have some hiking maps of the area. They're not detailed, but will give you an idea of where to go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login