All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

where is Emperor's Meadow
May 07, 2011 01:12PM
I came upon a nice fall oak scene taken by Ken Roswell at his web site that he says was taken in Emperor's Meadow in Yosemite, but I can find any reference to an Emperor's Meadow on any maps. Mr. Google doesn't seem to know where it is either. I thought about asking Ken, but his site says that he receives over 3000 emails daily and he cannot personally answer technical questions. I think I'd like to visit that spot if I can figure out where it is. Any ideas from the experts?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2007-10-395/22.htm
Thanks,
Panoman
Re: where is Emperor's Meadow
May 07, 2011 07:35PM
Closest name resemblance I found was an "empire meadow" due south of Bridalveil Creek campground. The shot looks to me to have the Royal Arches & North Dome in it, with Half Dome obscured by the leaves. "Emperor" might be a made up name in this case.
May 07, 2011 09:11PM
Looks like Cooks Meadow.
May 09, 2011 09:12AM
I think it is.
avatar Re: where is Emperor's Meadow
May 07, 2011 11:55PM
This shot by Ken Rockwell was taken in the morning at the western edge of Cook's Meadow facing Half Dome. (Half Dome is obscured by the branches and leaves in the lower center of the photo.) The visible footpath in the lower portion of the photo leads to Superintendent's Bridge (a foot bridge that would be off to the right of the photo) where the footpath continues on towards the Yosemite Chapel along the eastern edge of Sentinel Meadow.

Google Maps: approximate location of Ken Rockwell's photo (at the Green Arrow on the Google Map)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 11:59PM by plawrence.
May 09, 2011 12:51AM
That is an excllent shot from google maps. I never knew they had such high resolution satelittle shots.
May 07, 2011 09:29PM
May 09, 2011 09:25AM
Thanks everyone!
I'm usually up in the high country in October , but I'll make a point of it to stop in the valley early to get some colorful shots before heading up higher.
Panoman
May 12, 2011 03:20PM
Maybe of some interest... Someone asked about the named meadows in the Valley at some point.
When we were there in March I went to the visitors center and had a conversation with a ranger there.

We came up with this list:

- Bridalveil (sometimes called Roosevelt)
- El Capitan
- Slaughterhouse
- Leidig
- Sentinel (sometimes called Chapel)
- Cooks
- Ahwahnee
- Stoneman
- Mirror (it's a stretch right now... but)
May 13, 2011 01:13AM
bill-e-g
Maybe of some interest... Someone asked about the named meadows in the Valley at some point.
When we were there in March I went to the visitors center and had a conversation with a ranger there.

We came up with this list:

- Mirror (it's a stretch right now... but)

Maybe Mirror Bog would be a more appropriate name for awhile.

winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login