Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Half Dome Public Scoping Analysis Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Half Dome Public Scoping Analysis Report
May 10, 2011 11:28AM
“If it is determined that permits are required, they should be auctioned - not given away. By auctioning the permits more money would be available to the Park Service and the unfair advantage now provided to the indolent would be removed.”

“Whatever set of restrictions (and I understand the requirement for some restriction) should be crafted in such a way that no group is favored by the way the permitting system is established. When processes are set up that favor people living close to the park, or who have nothing better to do than stand in line for hours and hours, or who can clear their calendar months in advance because they are not employed, the result is UNFAIR to the hard-working individuals who actually pay taxes and support the park.”

“Don't let the permit system become controlled by the locals, guides, and folks wanting to resell them for a profit. If word gets out that the permit system is anything but fair, the Parks will lose a lot of credibility and trust.”

“ If permits are very difficult to come by, as they probably will be, then someone who does manage to get a permit will be less likely to turn back in marginal weather or conditions, knowing that the likelihood of being able to get another permit won't be very good. My own experience last year is illustrative: It started raining just as I reached the base of the cables. I reluctantly turned back, telling myself that I could try again another year. But if there'd been a permit system in place, and I'd known it was unlikely that I'd ever get another permit, then it would have been more difficult to turn back, and I might not have.”

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=414791
Re: Half Dome Public Scoping Analysis Report
May 10, 2011 11:45AM
Wow! I find most of these excerpts to be quite obnoxiously stated...even when I can sense some good intentions under them"

So it's only those no-good "indolents" and unemployed who can be bothered with standing in line? We'll teach them to lose their jobs!

Never mind scalpers reselling tickets, let's get the scalping money to ourselves!

Hey, sure, there's a thunderstorm coming but I'll probably never ever get a Half Dome permit again so let's go for it...how bad could it be?

I don't have time to read through all the submitted comments in the report right now but I hope some of them are more level-headed than these.

--David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 06:18PM by DavidK42.
avatar Re: Half Dome Public Scoping Analysis Report
May 10, 2011 11:52AM
One thing that bothered me was the obvious rush with which the Half Dome permit system was put in. I do hope their next try will be better planned and have more public input.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login