Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road plowing update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road plowing update
May 10, 2011 02:08PM
Last Update: May 9, 2011

Tioga Road: Rotary plows have reached the Siesta Lake area just past the 8,000 foot elevation mark. Snow depths average 10 feet in depth. Charcoal has been spread over Olmsted Point to aid the melting of the snow above the road. Crews will work Monday through Saturday.

Glacier Point Road: Dozers have plowed off enough snow that the rotary blowers are to Washburn Point. Work will continue Monday through Thursday working down through the switchbacks to the parking lot. Average snow depth is still eight feet.

Mariposa Grove: The road is open; all weight restrictions have been removed.

May 10, 2011 04:16PM
Considering what they're up against it seems they are making pretty good progress.
May 11, 2011 08:57AM
pitch it all to H*E* double* hockey* stix* son...MORE SNOW COMIN! (eeek weather updates please)
avatar Re: Tioga Road plowing update
May 11, 2011 09:04AM
rroland
pitch it all to H*E* double* hockey* stix* son...MORE SNOW COMIN! (eeek weather updates please)

Just go to the NOAA website for weather forecasts.

Here is the link for Downtown Tuolumne Meadows:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.873227357246435&lon=-119.36267852783203&site=hnx&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text
May 11, 2011 01:04PM
Sounds like the Glacier Point road MIGHT be open for Memorial weekend barring no additional snow, completion of road repair, and clearing the road of fallen trees & rocks.
I can have some hope for it being open when I'm there June 4th.
May 11, 2011 03:47PM
gtbhiker
Sounds like the Glacier Point road MIGHT be open for Memorial weekend barring no additional snow, completion of road repair, and clearing the road of fallen trees & rocks.
I can have some hope for it being open when I'm there June 4th.

I'll vote for that.
May 12, 2011 03:35PM
I spoke to a ranger today and for what it's worth he says the talk is June 24th give or take a week as the opening date. He sounded like an overall optimistic fellow and said he personally believed the road would open by June 17th, but the cueent window goes out until July 1st.

My day crossing-over is July 24th, so I'll consider that a 50/50 chance for now, with the optimists on my side.
May 12, 2011 03:59PM
Swamp Thing
I spoke to a ranger today and for what it's worth he says the talk is June 24th give or take a week as the opening date. He sounded like an overall optimistic fellow and said he personally believed the road would open by June 17th, but the cueent window goes out until July 1st.

My day crossing-over is July 24th, so I'll consider that a 50/50 chance for now, with the optimists on my side.

Based on what I've seen over quite a number of years I think there's a very good probability that the road will be open by then.
May 13, 2011 06:28AM
I wonder who owns this fixer-upper and if it would ever be for sale. Photo 5/2/11 Lee Vining

May 13, 2011 09:01AM
Vince
I wonder who owns this fixer-upper and if it would ever be for sale. Photo 5/2/11 Lee Vining

Looks like it might be close to being a "blower-upper." smiling smiley
May 13, 2011 10:55AM
Louis
Vince

FALLER-DOWNER
May 13, 2011 03:58PM
szalkowski
Louis
Vince

FALLER-DOWNER

Considering the winds that occasionally blow through there I'm surprised it hasn't already.
May 14, 2011 07:33AM
Why y'all makin fun of my timeshare? You think I actually pay real money to stay at a Lee Vining motel?

Now that we have totally corrupted the theme of this thread------------.tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2011 07:35AM by tomdisco.
May 14, 2011 03:29PM
tomdisco
Why y'all makin fun of my timeshare? You think I actually pay real money to stay at a Lee Vining motel?

Now that we have totally corrupted the theme of this thread------------.tongue sticking out smiley

I gotta admit we did do a first class job of wandering off subject. smiling smiley
May 16, 2011 12:35PM
That house was up and running in the 70's. I lived in Mammoth in the arly 70's and would drive by it on my way to Lee Vining and north. It's just to the west of 395. I remember in the late afternoon seeing people sitting outside on chairs with their favorite drinks just enjoying their company and the views. Once saw a covered wagon pulled by a couple of mules owned by a guy who travelled the states in it and happened by this house and apparently was offered some hospitality. I think it went into disrepair in the 80's.
May 14, 2011 12:43PM
Last Update: May 13, 2011

Tioga Road: No update. Previous update: Rotary plows have reached the Siesta Lake area just past the 8,000 foot elevation mark. Snow depths average 10 feet in depth. Charcoal has been spread over Olmsted Point to aid the melting of the snow above the road. Crews will work Monday through Saturday.

Glacier Point Road: Crews worked on widening along the Glacier Point Road and clearing in the parking lot. Snow depth in the lower lot is 3 to 4 feet and the upper lot is 4 to 7 feet. Next week, crews will begin plowing the trail between the parking lot and the point.

May 15, 2011 01:58PM
From the snow sensor report it looks like another foot of snow fell at Tenaya Lake today.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?tny
May 15, 2011 02:04PM
eeek
From the snow sensor report it looks like another foot of snow fell at Tenaya Lake today.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?tny

We've been having snow at Tahoe off and on since early morning. I just got word that the Amgen bike race has been cancelled.
May 15, 2011 02:09PM
Louis
I just got word that the Amgen bike race has been cancelled.

What a bunch of wimps.
May 15, 2011 08:13PM
eeek
Louis
I just got word that the Amgen bike race has been cancelled.

What a bunch of wimps.

The Giro D'Italia has been raced through some pretty heavy snow before.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-giro-ditalia-gt/stage-20/photos/123750
May 16, 2011 02:58AM
It's a bit ironic that you posted that photo of the Giro D'Italia, since it was the death of cyclist Wouter Weylandt at this year's Giro D'Italia just this past Monday during a mountain decent that has made the organizers and the participants of the Tour of California a bit jittery about racing through the mountains in far less than ideal conditions.
May 15, 2011 02:32PM
Is the opening of Tioga Road an all or nothing thing? We were planning to hike from Tenaya Lake--> Clouds Rest--> Half Dome on 6/20, but I got a call from the reservations folks yesterday to cancel our night before at Tuolumne Meadows. I'm wondering if the road might be open to a certain point for shuttle service by then, but just not all the way to Tuolumne, or does it all open at once? We've never hiked in Yosemite-- have been looking forward to it for months and I'm really hoping we can still do this hike. Thanks for any information you can share. smiling smiley
May 15, 2011 02:53PM
If they open part of the road, based on history it will only be to Yosemite Creek. That's a bit short of what you need.
May 15, 2011 05:59PM
Thanks for your reply. I'll just keep my fingers crossed....
May 15, 2011 06:15PM
By the way, assuming the Tioga Road does get opened in time, am I insane to think we'll make it over Clouds Rest after the winter they've had?
May 18, 2011 12:39PM
Kristin
By the way, assuming the Tioga Road does get opened in time, am I insane to think we'll make it over Clouds Rest after the winter they've had?

Unless you like snowshowing it'll be tough, you won't have a 'trail' to follow so you better bring GPS, map/compass...that's my 2 cents...hike Hetch Hetchy instead (see Bill E-G's ) Jack Main thread.

J
May 16, 2011 10:38AM
I thought they hadn't even accepted any reservations for Tuolumne Meadows for arrival prior to July 15?
May 19, 2011 06:07AM
I made an online reservation at the "lodge" months ago. I feel like I remember it not being available when I first looked at it, then I checked a few months later and was able to book it.
May 17, 2011 03:04PM
Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews started at Yosemite Creek and ended at an avalanche zone, plowing 1.6 miles. Crews will attempt to go through the avalanche zone today, conditions permitting.

Glacier Point Road: No update. Last update: Crews worked on widening along the Glacier Point Road and clearing in the parking lot. Snow depth in the lower lot is 3 to 4 feet and the upper lot is 4 to 7 feet. Next week, crews will begin plowing the trail between the parking lot and the point.

avatar Tioga Road plowing update (5/23/2011)
May 24, 2011 05:21PM
Last Update: May 23, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed from May Lake to May Lake Pit. Snow depth is 15 feet or deeper.

Additionally, as of May 20, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have plowed to 3.8 miles from Tioga Pass. Mammoth Mountain is using snowcats to expedite the process.

Glacier Point Road: The road has been plowed, but additional work is required before the road can open. There is no estimated opening date. (The road usually opens by the end of May.)

Mono County Public Works
Tuolumne Meadows, 5/20/11
avatar Re: Tioga Road plowing update (5/23/2011)
May 24, 2011 05:53PM
uhhh is that a road sign to the right?

Does that mean there's like . . . 5' of snow on the road?
Re: Tioga Road plowing update (5/23/2011)
May 24, 2011 06:12PM
qumqats
uhhh is that a road sign to the right?

Does that mean there's like . . . 5' of snow on the road?

The sign might also be on a sloped bank downhill of the road. So there might be feet, or inches, of snow on the road, and feet of snow under the sign.
May 24, 2011 06:26PM
It's feet of snow. Those are cat tracks....
If it was inches... they would just plow it and be done... not drive a cat over it.

Here is Glacier Point Rd. on Sunday near Taft Parking lot:

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2011 06:40PM
chick-on
It's feet of snow. Those are cat tracks....
If it was inches... they would just plow it and be done... not drive a cat over it.

Here is Glacier Point Rd. on Sunday near Taft Parking lot:

Is that Chick-on under the vertical pile of snow in the 2 o'clock direction relative to the snowshoes?

The Tuolumne Meadows sensor is reading less than 15" of snow.
I don't believe that reading because White Wolf and Dana Meadows are both in the 60-70" range and the rate of thickness decrease recorded by the TM sensor far exceeds that shown by WW and DM. (Either the sensor is faulty or the Tuolumne Meadows winter rangers have established a tanning salon at the weather station site.)
May 24, 2011 06:52PM
szalkowski
The Tuolumne Meadows sensor is reading less than 15" of snow.
I don't believe that reading because White Wolf and Dana Meadows are both in the 60-70" range and the rate of thickness decrease recorded by the TM sensor far exceeds that shown by WW and DM. (Either the sensor is faulty or the Tuolumne Meadows winter rangers have established a tanning salon at the weather station site.)

The sensor didn't agree at all with the May 1st survey. So I'd say it's broken.
May 24, 2011 08:08PM
It's brokey. If there were only 15" then you would be able to make out that big old reever
in the meadow... and it would be Lake Tuolumne...
Note the second sign in the photo too. The left side is does not have a steep bank.

May 25, 2011 11:49AM
eeek
Last Update: May 23, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed from May Lake to May Lake Pit. Snow depth is 15 feet or deeper.

Additionally, as of May 20, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have plowed to 3.8 miles from Tioga Pass. Mammoth Mountain is using snowcats to expedite the process.

Glacier Point Road: The road has been plowed, but additional work is required before the road can open. There is no estimated opening date. (The road usually opens by the end of May.)

Mono County Public Works
Tuolumne Meadows, 5/20/11

Tuolumne Meadows at peace.
May 25, 2011 02:02PM
This looks to be the same point without the snow. The signpost is relatively level with the road - looks to be quite a load of snow . . . maybe 3 - 4 feet?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tuolumne+meadows&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Tuolumne+Meadows&ll=37.87345,-119.385509&spn=0,0.003473&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=37.873432,-119.385396&panoid=84ZTPkjUJRk9GFezyo5aWA&cbp=12,90.53,,0,0

(Someone smarter than me can probably just embed the picture . . .)
May 25, 2011 02:11PM
JFK1965
This looks to be the same point without the snow. The signpost is relatively level with the road - looks to be quite a load of snow . . . maybe 3 - 4 feet?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tuolumne+meadows&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Tuolumne+Meadows&ll=37.87345,-119.385509&spn=0,0.003473&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=37.873432,-119.385396&panoid=84ZTPkjUJRk9GFezyo5aWA&cbp=12,90.53,,0,0

(Someone smarter than me can probably just embed the picture . . .)
Cool find! The funny thing about that is if you "walk" the map up to the sign, and just beyond, the sign disappears.
May 25, 2011 02:19PM
Did you doubt the Chick-on is looking at you! ???

Very cool.. I looked for a pict I took with the sign in it... and could find none...
Thanks

May 25, 2011 01:05PM
May 26, 2011 02:48PM
From the latest update, dated May 26, it seems they have plowed past the major hurdle of Olmsted Point and the plows from the east are near Spring Hill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 02:48PM by Louis.
avatar Tioga Road plowing update May 26, 2011
May 26, 2011 03:07PM
Last Update: May 26, 2011

Tioga Road: Crews are working east from Olmsted Point. Mono County & Mammoth Mountain crews are working between Marmot Dome and Spring hill.

avatar Re: Tioga Road plowing update May 26, 2011
May 26, 2011 03:41PM
eeek
Last Update: May 26, 2011

Mono County & Mammoth Mountain crews are working between Marmot Dome and Spring hill.

MARMOT DOME Update:
Abovementioned crews treated to Chikin Soup when they arrived.
(WillBeSettingTrailTrapsForFreshIngredientsSoonly Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. Riding the kittyCATs down to the Whoa Nellie Deli for pizza tonight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 03:56PM by szalkowski.
May 26, 2011 03:21PM
I guess my question would be is how much work is there to be done after it is plowed? It seems like they are rather close to finishing it (or at least the plows from either side meeting?) from the updates over the last 2 weeks and the ground they have covered.

One more question, is there this big clash when both side meet?
May 26, 2011 03:29PM
Great. Now I have a vision of the snowplow operators dressed as Broadway gang members, singing the Jet Song from West Side Story:

video: http://www.youtube.com/embed/exGJsv6ZNlo
May 26, 2011 03:41PM
No, they just break out a bottle of the best single malt Scotch they have on hand, and a have a toast. smiling smiley
May 26, 2011 04:31PM
plawrence
No, they just break out a bottle of the best single malt Scotch they have on hand, and a have a toast. smiling smiley

Melba?
May 26, 2011 03:48PM
Where will they likely meet? Tenaya Lake?
May 26, 2011 03:51PM
Louis
Where will they likely meet? Tenaya Lake?

Historically, the Eastside crews haven't gone significantly further than where they are now (the W end of Tuolumne Meadows).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 04:23PM by szalkowski.
May 26, 2011 04:32PM
szalkowski
Historically, the Eastside crews haven't gone significantly further than where they are now (the W end of Tuolumne Meadows).

They're over by Spring Hill now. That's quite a bit past Tuolumne.
May 26, 2011 04:48PM
eeek
szalkowski

The Marmots have always considered Marmot Dome to anchor the W end of Tuolumne Meadows, as Lembert does the E end.
(Spring Hill is in their backyard. That's where they raise their chickens. Where do you think the term "spring chicken" comes from?)
May 26, 2011 04:51PM
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski

The Marmots have always considered Marmot Dome to anchor the W end of Tuolumne Meadows, as Lembert does the E end.
(Spring Hill is in their backyard. That's where they raise their chickens. Where do you think the term "spring chicken" comes from?)

Isn't this Spring Hill?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/p7270042.jpg.html
May 26, 2011 05:01PM
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski

Isn't this Spring Hill?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/p7270042.jpg.html

Wow! They did a whale of a good job clearing the snow outta there. smiling smiley
May 26, 2011 05:17PM
Looks like Pywiack to me.... so no.

May 26, 2011 05:19PM
chick-on

The road grade, not the background.
May 26, 2011 05:25PM
eeek
chick-on

They're not at Tenaya Lake yet...

Maybe Spring Hill is the nibbly knob just NW of Fairview?
(from what I know Spring Hill is one of the Av. zones... at that sure looks like one by looking at the map)

I hear what you are saying though.

Wado eye no?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 05:33PM by chick-on.
May 26, 2011 05:33PM
chick-on
eeek
chick-on

I think Spring Hill is the nibbly knob just NW of Fairview

If you mean on the N side of the road, that's Daff Dome.
Marmot Dome is the dome NE of Fairview Dome and connected to it by the saddle.
I think that Spring Hill is inside the loop that the road takes just N of Fairview/Marmot and W of Pothole.
May 26, 2011 05:35PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. That there area. Av. area is Daff.

Signed,
(NeedToLookAtClimbOnMapAgain)

May 26, 2011 05:45PM
chick-on
eeek
chick-on

We're talking about Mono County coming down the hill.

Maybe Spring Hill is the nibbly knob just NW of Fairview?
(from what I know Spring Hill is one of the Av. zones... at that sure looks like one by looking at the map)

I hear what you are saying though.

Wado eye no?

I thought it was the grade coming up from Tenaya Lake where water spays onto the road.
May 27, 2011 07:14AM
I think it's this:

May 27, 2011 08:45AM
chick-on
I think it's this:

Agreed, except for the mislabeling.
(Spring Hill, not Sunrise Hill)
May 26, 2011 06:28PM
Interesting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 07:54AM by mtn man.
June 02, 2011 05:40PM
The Tioga Road has been partly plowed for its entire length. Now, road crews are working to remove snow from the entire width of the road and plow turnouts and side roads. In addition, road crews will be removing rockslides and redirecting snowmelt across the road to reduce icy road conditions. Finally, Olmsted Point is still unsafe due to avalanche danger.

The Tioga Road is now open to bicycles from Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek Bridge. Please watch out for debris on the road and road crew traffic. If conditions allow, we will extend the bicycle zone farther east prior to the opening.

Mono County Public Works
Mono County and Mammoth Mountain road crews meet up with National Park Service road crews. May 31, 2011.
June 02, 2011 06:52PM
eeek

Mono County Public Works
Mono County and Mammoth Mountain road crews meet up with National Park Service road crews. May 31, 2011.

The exact location of the meetup, anyone?
June 02, 2011 07:02PM
Wherever it is, I think they should pound a Golden Spike into the pavement.
June 02, 2011 07:33PM
plawrence
eeek

Mono County Public Works

I think it's near Tenaya Lake.
June 02, 2011 08:47PM
plawrence
At the big meeting this morning I believe I remember the Superintendent saying it was "Cathedral Lake." I'm assuming that was the trail head, not the lake. But that picture looks further west than that trail head.
June 02, 2011 08:57PM
Dave
plawrence
At the big meeting this morning I believe I remember the Superintendent saying it was "Cathedral Lake." I'm assuming that was the trail head, not the lake. But that picture looks further west than that trail head.

If it was the lake, they were way off course. Looks like where the use trail meets the road, not the Tuolumne trailhead.
June 02, 2011 06:53PM
I'm still holding my breath for June 20 from Tenaya Lake. Perhaps I'll just end up blue...
June 03, 2011 09:17AM
Kristin
I'm still holding my breath for June 20 from Tenaya Lake. Perhaps I'll just end up blue...

The CDEC ( http://cdec.water.ca.gov/ ) snow sensors at White Wolf and Dana Meadows are both currently reading 55-60" depth.

GREAT NEWS!!!
The (rogue) sensor at Tuolumne meadows is reading 0" snow depth.
[Likely to be heading further south today.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 09:17AM by szalkowski.
June 06, 2011 07:05AM
June 03, 2011 12:20PM
Kristin

How strong a cold water swimmer are you? It may be a challenge where the trail crosses Tenaya Lake outlet.
June 05, 2011 08:51PM
I'm a good swimmer, but have no plans to swim... The ranger I spoke to on the phone about 2 weeks ago thought the water would be about waist deep. If it's really high enough that we'd have to swim, we'll probably change routes.
June 06, 2011 08:50AM
Kristin
I'm a good swimmer, but have no plans to swim... The ranger I spoke to on the phone about 2 weeks ago thought the water would be about waist deep. If it's really high enough that we'd have to swim, we'll probably change routes.

Kristin,

Sorry, I was being a bit over the top. Swimming is not necessary, just the ability and willingness to get hip deep in very cold water. One month later it will be mostly gone.
June 06, 2011 05:57PM
I kinda figured, but with this winter's weather, I guess you never know! We are tough-- we'll handle cold and unpleasant, as long as it generally safe. I think that's still debatable...
June 06, 2011 07:08PM
kristen,

i too, am skeptical about maintaining bodily function while crossing waist deep icewater. however, my 18yr old son is stoked and thinks i'm a whimp. ok, how far a walk (and how many seconds) is it across this cryogenic chasm of pure pain? sevaral years ago (in early june) while on vacation in michigan's upper pennisula, i remember my boy and i having a contest to see who could stand ankle deep in lake superior water the longest -- needless to say, he won .... and i'm still recovering from the agony!!!!!
June 06, 2011 07:31PM
mtc
kristen,

i too, am skeptical about maintaining bodily function while crossing waist deep icewater. however, my 18yr old son is stoked and thinks i'm a whimp. ok, how far a walk (and how many seconds) is it across this cryogenic chasm of pure pain?

Distance: roughly 50 ft. when it's running high and fast, if I recall correctly.
Time: you can linger in it as long as you want.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 07:37PM by szalkowski.
June 07, 2011 04:38AM
50ft? i was under the impression that early in the season it was like 100 yds.
June 07, 2011 05:49AM
mtc
50ft? i was under the impression that early in the season it was like 100 yds.

The "banked channel" section is what I am referring to. The north bank is higher than the south one and it is a flat woodland area south of the crossing. If the water overflows the channel, an extensive area to the south will become submerged but only to a depth of perhaps a foot.
(Again, I haven't been through there for quite a few years and I may be accessing memories somewhat corrupted by time. If what I have posted isn't essentially accurate, I hope that someone will chime in and correct me.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 06:43AM by szalkowski.
June 07, 2011 08:44AM
To beat a dead Marmut to death:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36860,37840#msg-37840

That's more than 50 ft.

Buy a cheap pair o neoprene socks... and maybe some scuba shorts for your dingle balls.
(btw... I brought my scuba booties on Jack Main Canyon trip... turned out I never
used them on account of a) I was able to work around everything with snow bridges
and b) no friggin way was I crossing Falls Creek)
(rangers saw them on the way out when had to show them my bear can... amazingly
they didn't cuff me and take me to the loony bin)

June 07, 2011 09:01AM
You can compare the photo here:

Nevermind. Here's a comparison:

You do the math. smiling smiley

Note peeps in 2nd photo.

June 07, 2011 10:20AM
chick-on
Note peeps in 2nd photo.

That 50 ft. estimate was basically from where this photo was taken to the "high ground" where the people are standing.
June 07, 2011 10:57AM
szalkowski
chick-on
Note peeps in 2nd photo.

That 50 ft. estimate was basically from where this photo was taken to the "high ground" where the people are standing.

Yeah. I knew that. But you think I'm not gonna give you a hard time whenever possible?

June 07, 2011 11:19AM
chick-on
szalkowski
chick-on
Note peeps in 2nd photo.

Yeah. I knew that. But you think I'm not gonna give you a hard time whenever possible?

We know that the chikin still knew it because it hasn't been more than 5 minutes since Goatie last told him... again.
We told szalkowski to point it out for mtc's benefit.
(RebootingTheChikinPeriodically Yours)
The Marmots

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
June 07, 2011 11:24AM
szalkowski
chick-on
szalkowski
chick-on
Note peeps in 2nd photo.

We know that the chikin still knew it because it hasn't been more than 5 minutes since Goatie last told him... again.
We told szalkowski to point it out for mtc's benefit.
(RebootingTheChikinPeriodically Yours)
The Marmots

Yeah. I knew that.

Signed
(Win ning)

June 07, 2011 11:05AM
szalkowski

Those people would have been standing in water when I checked it out last year.
June 07, 2011 05:29PM
chick-on
To beat a dead Marmut to death:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36860,37840#msg-37840

That's more than 50 ft.

Buy a cheap pair o neoprene socks... and maybe some scuba shorts for your dingle balls.
(btw... I brought my scuba booties on Jack Main Canyon trip... turned out I never
used them on account of a) I was able to work around everything with snow bridges
and b) no friggin way was I crossing Falls Creek)
(rangers saw them on the way out when had to show them my bear can... amazingly
they didn't cuff me and take me to the loony bin)

So much for packing light!
June 06, 2011 07:55PM
mtc
kristen,

i too, am skeptical about maintaining bodily function while crossing waist deep icewater. however, my 18yr old son is stoked and thinks i'm a whimp. ok, how far a walk (and how many seconds) is it across this cryogenic chasm of pure pain? sevaral years ago (in early june) while on vacation in michigan's upper pennisula, i remember my boy and i having a contest to see who could stand ankle deep in lake superior water the longest -- needless to say, he won .... and i'm still recovering from the agony!!!!!

Chick-on and I measured the temp of water flowing in Falls Creek at 33 degrees. The water flowing out of Tenaya could be very near that. Lets say waist deep at even 40 degrees equals no children or worse yet no grandchildren.

Chick-on and I crossed the Tuolumne River at Poopenaut where it was only about 20 feet wide and only thigh deep. The water was probably in the fifties but man was it painful.

Old Dude
June 07, 2011 08:49AM
mrcondron

Chick-on and I measured the temp of water flowing in Falls Creek at 33 degrees. The water flowing out of Tenaya could be very near that. Lets say waist deep at even 40 degrees equals no children or worse yet no grandchildren.

Chick-on and I crossed the Tuolumne River at Poopenaut where it was only about 20 feet wide and only thigh deep. The water was probably in the fifties but man was it painful.

Cold water won't cause infertility. Maybe you're joking...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 08:50AM by Kristin.
June 07, 2011 08:54AM
Kristin
Cold water won't cause infertility.
The dingle balls (or at least mine) freeze at 40 degrees F.

June 06, 2011 08:58PM
I've swam in Lake Superior, north and south shores...I only had a big problem at Neyes Provincial Park, where the water temperature gave me an instant headache.

I think the bigger issue would be the velocity of the water...waist deep fast moving water is very dangerous because it's fast moving. I haven't crossed the creek in question under high water, I'll leave further comment to those who have, but the so-far posted pictures wouldn't worry me excessively.
June 07, 2011 08:33AM
ttilley
I've swam in Lake Superior, north and south shores...I only had a big problem at Neyes Provincial Park, where the water temperature gave me an instant headache.

I think the bigger issue would be the velocity of the water...waist deep fast moving water is very dangerous because it's fast moving. I haven't crossed the creek in question under high water, I'll leave further comment to those who have, but the so-far posted pictures wouldn't worry me excessively.

The Yosemite ranger I spoke to a few weeks ago said the water would NOT be fast moving. Just cold and high.
June 07, 2011 06:34AM
mtc
kristen,

You can wade in water that is 30 degrees and you can do it for a very long time. The way I know is I saw the movie Titanic. Rose was only dressed in a flimsey dress, but was able to move back and forth in waist deep water with no issues whatsoever
June 07, 2011 08:52AM
telfair ave
You can wade in water that is 30 degrees and you can do it for a very long time. The way I know is I saw the movie Titanic. Rose was only dressed in a flimsey dress, but was able to move back and forth in waist deep water with no issues whatsoever

Am I the only serious one here?

June 02, 2011 06:59PM
Who's ready for snow camping off Tioga Rd?
June 07, 2011 03:07AM
If Tioga is open this Sunday, two of us are headed to Glen Aulin via the High Sierra trail and ready for snow camping
June 07, 2011 02:18PM
Grzldvt
If Tioga is open this Sunday, two of us are headed to Glen Aulin via the High Sierra trail and ready for snow camping

If you mean Tioga Road open to motor traffic, forget it.
If you mean non-motorized entry into the park via Tioga Pass, then you're OK.
June 13, 2011 10:09AM
Any new information on plowing? What are the chances of a June 24 or 25 opening?
June 14, 2011 02:59AM
We were going in non-motorized as a contingency, with trailers/sleds for the bikes(runners in the winter, small wheels for the summer), to hold the packs(both of us are in very good shape from running and biking) and thought this would be a blast. We were thinking we could get to the upper campgrounds in Lee Vining and start from there. One day to bike in, and hoof down to Glen Aulin via the back door trail, Monday hike down to LeConte, Tuesday come out
I had something come up with my business and needed to head back to the SF Bay Area, sooner than anticipated, so we had to come up with an alternative trip. We ended up doing Chilanualna Falls on Sunday, spending the night at the top, blasting down in the AM and spent the day in the Valley.. Holy CRAP!!!! Yogi Berra was right, no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded. It was just insane with people, so it was a good reminder of why we don't go there. Not a bad day though, Yosemite Falls was certainly not at the max I have seen it, but Bridalveil was, plus we got to see a few very seasonal falls, and took a pantload of pictures for the tourists and their families :>winking smiley)
Stairstep was going nicely, so it was a nice experience, but totally pathetic walking around Curry Village with a camera around your neck.
My pics can be seen at - https://picasaweb.google.com/danceswithmules/ChilanualnaFallsJune2011. I also managed to forget my tent poles, so we had to improvise. Owning your own business makes for some interesting time management studies :>((, plus being the first trip of the year, I could have sworn the poles were in the bag with the tent, as they usually are... not this time. But all in good fun and with Big Agnes underneath me, a 15 degree bag, the falls making some great white noise, and doing a 10 mile run/race in Tahoe on Saturday, I slept like rock and never noticed the tent ceiling was so low....
June 13, 2011 10:48AM
Last update: June 10, 2011.

The Tioga Road has been partly plowed for its entire length. Now, road crews are working to remove snow from the entire width of the road and plow turnouts and side roads. In addition, road crews will be removing rockslides and redirecting snowmelt across the road to reduce icy road conditions. Finally, Olmsted Point is still unsafe due to avalanche danger.

Beginning Friday, June 10, the Tioga Road will be open to (non-motorized) bicycles from Crane Flat to Olmsted Point. There will be no access beyond Olmsted Point due to the avalanche zone just east of Olmsted Point. From the east, the road is open to bikes from US 395 to the west end of Tuolumne Meadows. It will be signed accordingly. Please be on the lookout for debris falling into the road and administrative vehicles travelling back and forth.

Plow driving through the Olmsted Point avalanche zone
June 14, 2011 09:14AM
Someone in another forum heard from Sierra Shuttle in Bishop that Tioga Road will be opening Thursday, June 16. Can anyone confirm/deny? Obviously not an official source.
June 14, 2011 01:07PM
cjoz
Someone in another forum heard from Sierra Shuttle in Bishop that Tioga Road will be opening Thursday, June 16. Can anyone confirm/deny? Obviously not an official source.

I guess it all depends what the definition of "open" is ... (to steal an oft-quoted line from a recent Prez ....)

FYI, an anagram of open is, of course: "nope" ...

I would be surprised if it was fully open so soon ... but some work vehicles apparantly are getting up there and getting around.
June 14, 2011 05:06PM
Open to vehicles. Saw another poster elsewhere claiming they were told by NPS it would be opened on Friday June 17. Maybe to TM from the east but not all the way across. Seems like Olmstead Point is the big hazard at this point.
June 14, 2011 05:14PM
cjoz
Open to vehicles. Saw another poster elsewhere claiming they were told by NPS it would be opened on Friday June 17. Maybe to TM from the east but not all the way across. Seems like Olmstead Point is the big hazard at this point.

If the Olmstead Point Avalanche Zone is still a big hazard, the Park Service should have one of their choppers hover over it, and with the heat of its exhaust and the wind generated by its blades, blow and melt and remaining snow off the avalanche zone. wink
June 14, 2011 11:11PM
Was talking to a ranger today about a permit for an upcoming trip and asked about Tioga Pass. She said the official target date is June 30th for Tioga Rd to be fully open.
June 14, 2011 11:48PM
Thanks for the update. BTW, this is post #1 for me, nice to join a place with similar interests. I guess I finally have to reconsider my Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne trip on Thursday the 23rd :-) Even if the road does open, I'd have to assume there's going to be a few hairy places along the river. Down around Pate, a few years ago, I was up to my waist, probably not the smartest thing I ever did. Does anyone know what the water level is now? Maybe if the snow hasn't melted, maybe not crazy high?
June 15, 2011 09:14AM
It fluctuates. Last year when we got GCT permit in mid June the comment
by the ranger was something to the effect of "It's completely flooded at Waterwheels".
This was bollocks mainly due to the fact that there is no way it would be flooded THERE.
But... there were monster logs on the trail and lots of driftwood on the trail further along.
as in:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/GCTuolumne#5482999888004321730

Normally when the ranger says "can't make it"... we just say "that's ok... we'll turn around
if we don't like the look of things... and come back another day... we don't HAVE to get to xyz".
(on this one... we said screw it dayhiking to Pate at Register after someone took
a spill next to the creek and hurt her bum)

Have fun

June 15, 2011 09:24AM
Nice photos! Thanks! Done GCT 3 times, hope we can get to Tuolumne Meadows to start next Thursday!
June 15, 2011 10:39AM
Just be prepared for them to say "We are not issuing wilderness permits from Tioga Rd. yet".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login