Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 2 day backpacking trip, need advice

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

2 day backpacking trip, need advice
May 10, 2011 04:23PM
Hello, its great to be a part of this site.
I am planning a 1 night backpacking trip in Yosemite on June 10th. We are leaving from Tamarack Flat campground and hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls which is where we will spend the night. The next day we are scheduled to come back in at the Mirror Lake/Snow Creek trailhead, which I believe takes us down the falls and into the valley. I have backpacked about 4 times and we are both avid hikers in the hills of central California so the hiking is no problem. On the other hand, this is our first trip ever to Yosemite and while I can barely contain my excitement, I want to be prepared. I am looking for advice on this hike: is it a good 2 day trip? Distances ok? How is this trail in June? I heard it will probably be wet with some snow still standing. Any advice on gear would help too, although I think I am ok on that topic. I am also looking for info on bears and preparations, especially cooking in bear country. I have done a lot of reading but I was hoping to get some human feedback. The rangers have been helpful, but fairly vague. All in all, any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!
avatar Re: 2 day backpacking trip, need advice
May 10, 2011 05:16PM
amanatacha
I am planning a 1 night backpacking trip in Yosemite on June 10th. We are leaving from Tamarack Flat campground and hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls which is where we will spend the night.

There ia a no camping zone at the top of Yosemite Falls. It extends to approximately the 6.8k level as you are coming down the Yosemite Creek drainage from the north and also to approx. the 6.8k level after you cross the creek near the upper fall and proceed to the east. The limits are shown on the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the area (Map # 306).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 05:17PM by szalkowski.
May 10, 2011 05:32PM
szalkowski
amanatacha
I am planning a 1 night backpacking trip in Yosemite on June 10th. We are leaving from Tamarack Flat campground and hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls which is where we will spend the night.

There ia a no camping zone at the top of Yosemite Falls. It extends to approximately the 6.8k level as you are coming down the Yosemite Creek drainage from the north and also to approx. the 6.8k level after you cross the creek near the upper fall and proceed to the east. The limits are shown on the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the area (Map # 306).

Did you mean #206? http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/1566952999
May 10, 2011 05:46PM
eeek
szalkowski
amanatacha

Did you mean #206? http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/1566952999

Map # 306 is the higher resolution Yosemite SW quadrant and contains his entire route. Map # 206 is the lower resolution map of the entire park.
May 10, 2011 05:41PM
I would say this may be too much for 2 days. If you go from the Campground and hit all the sights you should on that
route (El Cap, Eagle Peak, Yose Falls overlook, Yose Pt. Overlook, North Dome, Indian Arch) then you are talking
over 28 miles. Although this is quite do-able, the conditions that will more than likely be present (almost guarantee you
you will have some significant snow around Indian Ridge) (Eagle Pk. meadows may be delicious) (may be slow
going on parts of the trail, a couple of crossing may give you pause) (and you should spend plent of time enjoying
those views), I have serious doubts you would complete this in an enjoyable fashion.
There are other concerns such as:
a) quite possible you will not be able to park AT tamarack flat campground as the road may still be closed
(heck, they may not even issue the permit)
b) how much time you are going to waste getting to the trailhead and back
c) can you even park at the trailhead then
d) will Tioga even be open
e) will they even issue a permit
In all honesty I wouldn't fret too much. I'd go with the assumption that I will be able to get the permit
and worse case be able to park along Tioga. That add mileage to your hike.. Then just go and don't
get too caught up in where you HAVE to be. If things get too ugly, setup shop, and hike back out the
next day. If you make it to Yosemite Falls area... then you have options... dayhike to North Dome and back
and then go down Yose Falls trail... or just go down Yose Falls trail.
If you insist on the entire route you mention, I personally would budget 3 days. If can do it 2 then so be it.
You have the longest days of the year so it's do-able... just only you will find out if you want to do it.

Have fun

(o, as far as bears and whatnot,... visit nps.gov and go to backpacking section)
(they will have what you need to do) (it's pretty simple) (just do that and you will be fine)
May 10, 2011 05:51PM
Couple of additional comments.

Please work around any faux paux in spelling or sentence structure or whatnot.
(I'm not re-editing to fix those)

There is probably quite a bit more elevation gain and loss than what you think.
(it's easily over 5K if you do the entire route)
The north and south rims, although "rims" are far from flat.
May 11, 2011 03:59AM
bill-e-g
There is probably quite a bit more elevation gain and loss than what you think.
(it's easily over 5K if you do the entire route)
The north and south rims, although "rims" are far from flat.

Did a quick route trace on TOPO!:
From Tamarack Flat to the trail intersection near the footbridge on Snow Creek (following the trail route that goes past North Dome and Indian Rock), the elevation gain and loss are 5.3k and 5.0k respectively. After that, there still is the 2.3k drop down to the valley floor.
May 10, 2011 07:45PM
amanatacha
We are leaving from Tamarack Flat campground

It (and the road) may not be open by June 10th this year.
May 10, 2011 08:47PM
It's a great (and agressive!) trip that you have laid out...I would say that the key would be to be flexible
Have an alternative trip planned if you can't get in there due to unplowed roads, and if you can get to Tamarack for the start, and trail conditions don't allow you to complete the trip, be prepared to either return to Tamarack or exit via the Yosemite Falls trail. Its good to know your bailout options. And even if the trip is shortened, it would still be a good trip.
May 10, 2011 09:49PM
Bearproof
It's a great (and agressive!) trip that you have laid out...I would say that the key would be to be flexible
Have an alternative trip planned if you can't get in there due to unplowed roads, and if you can get to Tamarack for the start, and trail conditions don't allow you to complete the trip, be prepared to either return to Tamarack or exit via the Yosemite Falls trail. Its good to know your bailout options. And even if the trip is shortened, it would still be a good trip.

The reports are that the plows are way past Tamarack Creek, but I take it they don't open up Tioga Road until after the entire road is plowed. Also - anyone know when the campground opens? There's no estimated date yet.

However - I did see this cool image of Snow Creek Falls Trail that someone planned with Google Maps. I'm guessing it's about 100 switchbacks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zlife/1268372836/
May 10, 2011 09:57PM
Yes, it's about 100.

I think everyone and their mother's sister's cousin thinks that there are great views of Snow Creek Falls
on the Snow Creek trail. Far from the truth. There are zero views of Snow Creek Falls from the trail.
If you want to spy Snow Creek Falls you have to zig off the trail to spy a view.
I actually put a photo of the falls from off the trail on a set (chick-on's set).

They will open the early to Yosemite Creek.... but this does not mean they will issue a permit and
allow you to park overnight. Thus my points about the permit and road issues.
May 11, 2011 01:38AM
bill-e-g
They will open the early to Yosemite Creek.

Maybe. They haven't done so every year.
May 11, 2011 07:17AM
eeek
bill-e-g
They will open the early to Yosemite Creek.

Maybe. They haven't done so every year.
True. That is what I meant.

wink
May 13, 2011 06:12PM
Looking like we are glad we wasted our time...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: 2 day backpacking trip, need advice
May 14, 2011 11:15AM
I found it interesting! Would like to do this route someday , so the more I hear about it the better. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login