Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Camping in Tuolumne

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping in Tuolumne
May 11, 2011 06:45PM
is it hard to get 1st come fist served sites? any day(s) of the week I would have a better chance of getting a site?
May 11, 2011 07:22PM
One thing people do is hang out around the campground and wait for someone to vacate a site and then post a guard while another person fills out the form and pays. Sunday through Thursday are good days as the weekends are the most busy.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 07:25PM by mrcondron.
Re: Camping in Tuolumne
May 11, 2011 07:26PM
ryanmj
is it hard to get 1st come fist served sites? any day(s) of the week I would have a better chance of getting a site?

I have not had a problem ever but it is a few years since I have camped up there. We are hoping to go in early July and I do not think they are takign reservation until after the 15th, so I am hoping it will be easier to get in then (assuming htey are open).

Side note: Yosemite or somebdoy still owes me for 4 nights camping there. We were evacuated years ago when a ranger shot himself and claimed somebody else did it. They make it all but impossible to get a refund and every time I go up there, they acknowldege they owe me, but tell me I have to write the reservation company (which I have done several times).
May 11, 2011 07:32PM
telfair ave
Side note: Yosemite or somebdoy still owes me for 4 nights camping there. We were evacuated years ago when a ranger shot himself and claimed somebody else did it. They make it all but impossible to get a refund and every time I go up there, they acknowldege they owe me, but tell me I have to write the reservation company (which I have done several times).

They obviously subscribe to the following principle:
'We would rather owe it to you than cheat you out of it.'
May 11, 2011 09:01PM
not too hard, I get there every season at 10:00am sharp ... there's always quite a few ... but right during a holiday weekend, however, everything is usually taken though ...

midweek, excellent chance.

site G11 gets top ratings from me

totally nice

hope that helps.
May 11, 2011 09:11PM
We went up last July 1 without a reservation and had no trouble getting a spot. We got there around 10 or so.
May 12, 2011 06:57AM
I have found that getting there on a Sunday morning is best, getting there by 7 AM; seems like there are more choices of campsites. I think that I learned that from Telfair Avenue. Most people are packing up to get back to work on Monday.
Drive around the campground, look to see who is leaving.
Near a bathroom but not too close.
View of the river and Lembert Dome.
May 13, 2011 06:22PM
Thanks for the info guys, we usually try to stay in the valley for 9 days but were going to try for 7 and head up top for 2-3. Back up plan is mammoth
May 16, 2011 07:26PM
We always.get there by 7am. Always get a spot. Switch later if we dont like it.
That method has worked since 1980.
My favorite campground. Hard to find a place like it.
We are going in August, if the snow goes away.
May 24, 2011 07:17PM
We are also going there for the first time this summer. Probably sometime after the 4th. Looking forward to some spring like conditions later in the summer due to the heavy snow pack.
June 20, 2011 11:14AM
Any predictions on what this campground will be like second week of July? covered in snow, temperature, mosquitoes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 11:14AM by ryanmj.
June 20, 2011 11:57AM
ryanmj
Any predictions on what this campground will be like second week of July? covered in snow, temperature, mosquitoes?

I am so hoping that it will be open by the second week of July. That is about the only week we can go.

Mosquitos? I think the mosquitos up there are of the variety where they do not like wet conditions, so I doubt there will be any at all up there when the snow is just melted and there will be tons of standing water all over the place.Sarcasm sign

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 12:16PM by telfair ave.
June 22, 2011 07:30PM
ryanmj

It won't be covered in snow. Mosquitoes will likely be causing anemia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login