Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: SCALPERS/HACKERS - LEGAL ACTION TAKEN

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

SCALPERS/HACKERS - LEGAL ACTION TAKEN
May 15, 2011 07:41PM
For the scalper posting my personal information. Since you did a great job of looking up my name, address, etc. on the countless amount of people finder websites, you should also know that I work at a law firm.

You are hereby put on notice that should you continue to post personal information both on the board, via private messaging, or through any other source, I will have no choice but to pursue all legal causes of action, including the filing of a lawsuit, to protect my personal information. I will pursue damages and attorneys will seek fees and costs incurred as a result of your actions.

All your IP's have been recorded, emails used on this forum, as well as messages sent with my personal information.

This is a matter that is both serious, illegal, and all necessary actions will be taken to stop this abuse.

Thank you.

P.S. I also used to have a hamster by the name of "Bobby" when I was a kid. Did that come up in your search inquiry?
May 15, 2011 07:49PM
I forgot to add that all necessary information has been forwarded to IC3 already. This creates an open file, so when filing a lawsuit, it will be much more hassle free.
May 16, 2011 10:54AM
Surprisingly quick response from IC3 today. They have forwarded my information to the US Dept of Justice. BJA has provided me with the agent I will be in contact with.

If anybody else needs helps with scalpers attempting to post your personal information online, let me know.
avatar Re: SCALPERS/HACKERS - LEGAL ACTION TAKEN
May 16, 2011 03:59PM
Thanks for the update. I've been curious to know how this whole thing playss out. With as many forums and online communities I belong to, this is the first encounter like this that I have witnessed. Which, really, just reinforces my personal belief that most people are kind and supportive, and it is generally the very few who do this kind of thing.
May 16, 2011 04:48PM
Since that scalper also posted my personal information on craigslist, that gives me even more ammunition.

I contacted both the abuse and legal department.

The abuse department was notified of the craigslist ad that had my personal info.

As for the legal dept, I made a request for "post data" records. This way, they will be official records that can be used as exhibits for any lawsuit that will be filed.

Though it may seem like a hassle for some, I do this all day for a living, so I can care less. This particular scalper decided to bark up the wrong tree, but hey...we need to get rid of this infestation somehow.
May 16, 2011 04:53PM
sactown23
Though it may seem like a hassle for some, I do this all day for a living, so I can care less.

I'm very glad to see you going after him.
May 16, 2011 05:59PM
Sactown

This guy also sent me personal information about you in a PM. If I can help in any way, drop me a note!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 16, 2011 07:24PM
Did he spam PM all the users of the board? I also received a PM.
May 16, 2011 08:17PM
I got a PM too - If you need anything from me, I work down the street in Orange.

Will pass on the Roast Beef but I might take you up on some Campitelli Cookies - Those things are awesome!
May 16, 2011 06:26PM
Keep up the good fight. I also received the PM from this character with his veiled threat. Let me know if I can help. Like I said before once law enforcement starts to look into this guy I'm sure they'll find other dirty stuff on him. These type of people have other problems and usually don't cover their trail very well. What I don't understand is why Criagslist doesn't stop any and all ads for Yosemite campsite sales. The NPS or the reservation site has definately talked to them about it.
May 17, 2011 08:14PM
mtn man
Keep up the good fight. I also received the PM from this character with his veiled threat. Let me know if I can help. Like I said before once law enforcement starts to look into this guy I'm sure they'll find other dirty stuff on him. These type of people have other problems and usually don't cover their trail very well. What I don't understand is why Criagslist doesn't stop any and all ads for Yosemite campsite sales. The NPS or the reservation site has definately talked to them about it.

It might be difficult, although category would seem to be an important tip. I saw some of the Craigslist listings in the other thread for flagging weren't exactly buying or selling campsite rentals. I think some were uncovered via keyword searches for "Yosemite".

One listing was for a yard sale in Fresno at the Yosemite Village Apartments. Yosemite is commonly used as a name for streets and various facilities. Lots of cities in California have a Yosemite Street/Ave/Blvd. There are also some other things that aren't strictly illegal. I don't believe it's illegal to resell a reservation for Yosemite lodging, and I saw one CL listing for a Curry Village tent cabin below cost. I frankly wouldn't mind that, and there isn't a government regulation/policy that doesn't allow it.
May 18, 2011 12:01AM
I agree. I think in our zeal to rid the site of scalpers, we run the risk of alienating innocents who just happen to share a keyword. I actually read the posts I flag, and make sure I feel OK about it. There are some that are borderline, IMO, and I flag or don't flag according to my mood. The scalpers are clearly scalpers, and after a couple of weeks of flagging them, I can pretty much spot their posts from a mile away.
May 16, 2011 07:36PM
From what I heard, I believe he did spam the entire board, or at least close to it with my personal info.

I appreciate the responses. If I need any help in terms of the PM's you received from him, I'll let you know.

But, while this scalper gets the hammer from DOJ in the near future, you all now have my address. Don't hesitate to stop by for an awesome roast beef. Just let me know ahead of time!
May 17, 2011 05:53PM
Can Craigslist be held liable? The illegal actions of these individuals on their site is what led to them attacking you? That would get craigslist on their asses I bet.
May 17, 2011 06:21PM
Sure, someone looking for a potential payout, can go after craigslist.

The same way, some individuals went after craigslist for having "adult services", which was code for prostitution. Craigslist eventually took it down.

I'm not looking for any payout and it can also be a very messy and migraine plagued lawsuit with a giant such as craigslist.

It's faaaaaar easier taking one individual scalper out who is trying to intimidate and threaten people into not flagging their pathetic ads.
May 17, 2011 06:30PM
Sactown, if you didn't know already your info was PM'ed over at http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/ also.
May 17, 2011 08:01PM
Looks like the mods over there deleted it already. But, thanks for the heads up. If need be so, I'll be in contact with the admins on that site if this scalper is stupid enough to post more of my personal info, which will force me to file a lawsuit against him.

Until then, I will only be in contact with IC3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login