Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Scalper ads for flagging

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 17, 2011 03:54PM
The other thread was getting to be a bit long. Please group in threes to make keep ones place easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 01:00PM by eeek.
avatar Re: Scalper ads for flagging
May 17, 2011 04:10PM
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/wan/2377298978.html

REMOVED: 10/12
REMAINING: 2/12

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 11:28PM by mbear.
May 17, 2011 05:47PM
I like this, really easy to hit up a bunch!
May 17, 2011 06:50PM
Every little bit helps if you can flag the links we find. I think we've become pretty efficient at listing things so you won't have to go looking on craigslist, though of course if you want to take the time for that it would also be welcome.
May 17, 2011 07:38PM
Umm, the 5th one is for a yard sale. They might be a little confused when it gets removed! (see you caught that smiling smiley )

Has anyone noticed that the disclaimer on recreation.gov has changed? I can't remember if the bigger one was while booking or on the first page...

Also the Half Dome permits are allowed to be traded or transferred, just not sold or auctioned. Let's play by the rules, we are trying to get them enforced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 07:39PM by Wickett.
May 17, 2011 07:42PM
Wickett
Umm, the 5th one is for a yard sale. They might be a little confused when it gets removed! (see you caught that smiling smiley )

D'oh. I thought I caught that one early on and removed it from my list.
May 17, 2011 08:14PM
Wickett

Has anyone noticed that the disclaimer on recreation.gov has changed? I can't remember if the bigger one was while booking or on the first page...

Also the Half Dome permits are allowed to be traded or transferred, just not sold or auctioned. Let's play by the rules, we are trying to get them enforced.

Was that the one at Yosemite Village Apartments in Fresno?

I understand the sentiments, but I'm thinking going by the letter of the law is probably the right way to go.
May 17, 2011 08:15PM
Wickett

After thinking about this point a bit, I don't find it unreasonable to assume a transaction will almost certainly be a sale on craigslist. If the trade was being done on a board like this one or yosemite.ca.us, I could understand the point fully; at a board for yosemite enthusiasts I think you have the expectation that people are looking to help each other out and not just to profit from the trade. I find that expectation to be wholly unreasonable on craigslist though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 08:17PM by mbear.
May 17, 2011 08:12PM
A scalper could pose as a legitimate trader, get permits with more desirable dates, and then sell them for several hundred dollars. Also, scalpers are getting more creative and finding ways of advertising their services implicitly as opposed to explicitly i.e. trades for gift cards, etc. I have no doubt the scalpers will get even more creative in the coming weeks. That's why I'm flagging all of them.

I found five links. We're doing a great job getting rid of these ads!

GONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 09:28AM by rightstar76.
May 17, 2011 08:17PM
sactown23
For the people who post the ads, be sure to go back and delete the ads and simply place "X amount REMOVED"

That's nice to do but not always easy.
May 18, 2011 10:52AM
He is now TRYING to get creative by putting underscore after yosemite, so if you search yosemite with title only, it won't come up. So, now do not click "title only" as that will skip his postings.

10 REMOVED

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 10:56AM by sactown23.
May 18, 2011 10:55AM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/wan/2388527108.html IS NOT PROHIBITED, you are allowed to trade half dome permits! They are not allowed to sell or auction the permits, so this guy is not doing anything wrong.
May 18, 2011 10:57AM
Wickett
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/wan/2388527108.html IS NOT PROHIBITED, you are allowed to trade half dome permits! They are not allowed to sell or auction the permits, so this guy is not doing anything wrong.

you're right, my mistake
May 18, 2011 11:02AM
What is your reaction to this post, for example?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2387833582.html

If this guy has all these dates to trade, it's pretty clear he's a scalper. I'll definitely flag trades like this every time I see them.

TOO LATE: got taken down. The post I was referring to was someone trying to trade dates in 3 concurrent weeks for a specific date. While I know there are some people lucky enough to visit yosemite every week, I doubt they would hate the park enough to post their campsites on craigslist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 11:07AM by mbear.
May 18, 2011 11:58AM
mbear
What is your reaction to this post, for example?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2387833582.html

If this guy has all these dates to trade, it's pretty clear he's a scalper. I'll definitely flag trades like this every time I see them.

TOO LATE: got taken down. The post I was referring to was someone trying to trade dates in 3 concurrent weeks for a specific date. While I know there are some people lucky enough to visit yosemite every week, I doubt they would hate the park enough to post their campsites on craigslist.

I don't think is what is commonly going on. When the August Half Dome Permits were released on May 1 there were individuals who had already missed dates they desired in June/July. In an attempt to have something to trade, these individuals gathered as many August Permits as possible. I suspect the same thing will happen on June 1 when the September permits are released. The permit seekers who did not get their desired dates in August, will scoop up September permits.

I have seen many posts and sites that outline this process with most of the individuals having no intention of scalping the unused permits. While this NPS system is terrible, the traders are not doing anything against the rules.
May 18, 2011 12:23PM
I've seen this a lot. From what I can tell, people don't get their desired date, so they "grab" what permits they can and try to trade for what they want. There is a website dedicated to permit trading, and many of the requests list multiple permits for days they don't need (usually a weekday) in hopes of trading for ones they need (usually a weekend but not always).

They usually indicate that they are only interesting in trading, not selling, and will release the ones that aren't used or traded. Not the intent of the permit system, but I suppose technically nothing illegal about it. Frustrating for people who truly just want to get a permit through the official website the day they are released though.
May 18, 2011 12:32PM
I still think that goes against the spirit of the law, if not the letter to snap up as many permits as possible in an attempt to trade. Anyone who does that is forcing lots of people into this scalpers' market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 12:35PM by mbear.
May 18, 2011 12:39PM
oops ... wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 12:39PM by mbear.
May 18, 2011 12:42PM
mbear
I still think that goes against the spirit of the law, if not the letter to snap up as many permits as possible in an attempt to trade. Anyone who does that is forcing lots of people into this scalpers' market.

The need to raise the fee to make that game less desirable.
May 18, 2011 12:50PM
I agree about the fee. If someone grabs eight permits for instance, and only uses 4, they are only out $6 if they don't cancel. Scalpers wouldn't mind a loss like that because they made it up with other sales and people hoping for a trade aren't out a significant amount of money.

People would be more likely to cancel what they don't need if it was $10 or $20 for each permit and the loss was more significant. If you didn't use the extra 4 mentioned above, being out $40-80 dollars would make a bigger factor in grabbing extra permits for future trades or scalping (or so I would hope)!
May 18, 2011 02:19PM
Why raise the fee?

Another simple solution would be to allow people to reserve and pay for the Half Dome permits via recreation.gov, but they'll need to pick up the Half Dome permits, in person, at the Yosemite Wilderness Center within three days of their hike. And they'll need to show a valid ID to the ranger to pick up their permits. This would solve most, if not all, of the scalping issues. And it would also discourage people from trying to trades permits from one date for another.
May 18, 2011 02:30PM
Well, raise it if the system stays as is. I don't particularly like the current system, but procedures take time to change. Perhaps a temporary fix until a better solution is found, but the current system isn't working (except for people trying to make a profit that is....)
May 18, 2011 10:55PM
plawrence
Why raise the fee?

Another simple solution would be to allow people to reserve and pay for the Half Dome permits via recreation.gov, but they'll need to pick up the Half Dome permits, in person, at the Yosemite Wilderness Center within three days of their hike. And they'll need to show a valid ID to the ranger to pick up their permits. This would solve most, if not all, of the scalping issues. And it would also discourage people from trying to trades permits from one date for another.

I think that's a great idea.

They do the same exact thing for Mount Whitney and they have no problems with scalping. Whitney isn't exactly an unpopular hike either. Their permits get sold out for the busy seasons very quickly as well, but all of them being legit. I can't imagine the blackmarket for Mt. Whitney if they had the same idiotic system Yosemite implements.
May 18, 2011 12:42PM
I agree, but it isn't illegal...
May 18, 2011 10:55PM
I speculate almost all of the ads are fake. They probably bait and switch. They say they are for a trade but then request payment. The other party then pays because it's so tempting. Many who respond to these ads are willing to pay anyway and don't care. I'm just flagging every single ad.
May 18, 2011 01:06PM
Why do they keep putting $1 on them? Do they honestly think people will get suckered into looking for $1, or is it a requirement of Craigslist to put a dollar amount?? Weird...
May 18, 2011 01:10PM
Yes, craigslist requires a $ amount to be entered
May 18, 2011 02:31PM
So scalping and false advertising.. I wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks for clarifying!
May 18, 2011 02:35PM
Here is a solution: A Daily Race. First 400 people to Half-Dome get to go up the cables...
May 18, 2011 08:27PM
I would never, ever win that race. I'm a slow hiker. I'm healthy, and able to go 15+ miles a day, but slowly (relative to super hikers).
May 19, 2011 12:18AM
Here goes:

GONE!

Some scalpers are putting willing to trade in their subject lines hoping that they won't be flagged. I saw one that does that and then says wants to purchase in the ad. Another one tries to come off as a swap and then says at the end of the ad willing to pay. Very sneaky. This is why I flag all of them.

P.S. The grand prize winner to sneaky ad of the day goes to "Hald Dome permits, giving away free". The only catch is you have to become a fan of a commercial Facebook page and be a winner of the free permits. The ad is also advertising a trans-Sierra trek to Mt. Whitney. Very clever. Flag!

Edit: just one left

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 04:36PM by rightstar76.
May 19, 2011 01:46AM
How much pressure is being put on the Park to make this a first-come system, or even requiring ID on arrival. The way it is invites scalping and everyone knows it! sad smiley

I help flag whenever I think to search "Yosemite" on CL, but really, there is a better way.
May 19, 2011 07:23AM
I can't remember - how does the mt whitney system work? I've only done it when coming from the JMT or HST so haven't had to deal with the permit nightmare. Does Whitney have this problem? I've seen people arrange simultaneous permit switches (both call Inyo NF and cancel then call back and reserve the new open spots) but that only seems to work by doing it the 'legal' way.

I just reserved a permit for Taboose Pass in August, and Inyo NF lets you name an alternate trip leader that is also authorized to pick up the permit, but I'm not sure if that's the way the whitney system works.

Wonder if I can scalp that Taboose permit. *kidding *who would want it anyways *ouch
May 19, 2011 12:17PM
calipidder
I can't remember - how does the mt whitney system work?

They require ID when you pickup your permit.
May 19, 2011 09:04AM
We need to be more organized and effective on this - Can someone come up with a cookbook response to recreation.gov that we can send as a comment/complaint/observation/whatever that way we can all cut and paste it and send it separately from the many that use this forum - I think if we request that the reservations be made non-transferable, include at least three additional fields for alternate names in case the first party cannot be there, and request that they use the code/name that's all fuzzy when logging in that an application would not be able to get pass -

This way we can go directly to the source rather than keep on flagging craigslist (sometimes I feel like the little dutchboy flagging these things)

Maybe we can also come up with a cookbook response to craigslist that we can send them regarding people that are looking for campsites/permits as well - If we get their attention maybe they will do something about it

Worth a try? - What do you think?
May 19, 2011 12:43PM
SoCalCPA
We need to be more organized and effective on this - Can someone come up with a cookbook response to recreation.gov that we can send as a comment/complaint/observation/whatever that way we can all cut and paste it and send it separately from the many that use this forum - I think if we request that the reservations be made non-transferable, include at least three additional fields for alternate names in case the first party cannot be there, and request that they use the code/name that's all fuzzy when logging in that an application would not be able to get pass -

This way we can go directly to the source rather than keep on flagging craigslist (sometimes I feel like the little dutchboy flagging these things)

Maybe we can also come up with a cookbook response to craigslist that we can send them regarding people that are looking for campsites/permits as well - If we get their attention maybe they will do something about it

Worth a try? - What do you think?

I think recreation.gov is simply a driving vehicle for various national parks.
Similar to how you buy event or sporting tickets on ticketmaster.

Yosemite makes it's own decision on how to sell permits and recreation.gov simply provides the access.

Craigslist is notorious for being stubborn in regards to altering or changing their entire blueprint. They were still huffing and puffing after they were forced to remove the "adult services" tab, so I think they can care less about a handful of people sending in complaint letters regarding campsites and half dome permits.
May 19, 2011 12:49PM
sactown23
I think recreation.gov is simply a driving vehicle for various national parks.

It's a private company with government contract. The entire $1.50 for Half Dome permits goes to them.
May 19, 2011 01:31PM
I sent them a comment just the same - somebody must be reading the comments - Even if they do nothing about it at least I tried

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on Craigslist
May 19, 2011 12:45PM
May 19, 2011 12:47PM
May 19, 2011 02:47PM
ALL GONE

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 11:57PM by mbear.
May 19, 2011 03:22PM
May 19, 2011 04:14PM
May 19, 2011 04:18PM
These sure keep popping up. Anyone know how many times a posting has to be marked "prohibited" to be taken down?

Grouping them in threes really helps out, so thanks for that!
May 19, 2011 05:00PM
As an experiment I took a link and went through a bunch different proxies to ensure a different IP Address for each report, and it seemed to be about 50 reports needed. No way it's worth the time to go through 50 proxies for each link though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 05:09PM by mbear.
May 19, 2011 04:20PM
mbear
I really wish people would flag buyers. This is a two way street and if one side is open the traffic can flow.

Agreed.
May 19, 2011 04:22PM
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/wan/2389799252.html

One left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 04:32PM by eeek.
May 19, 2011 04:31PM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/2391313671.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 04:35PM by eeek.
May 19, 2011 04:36PM
There's a new tack the scalpers are using. It's the phony public service announcement. It sounds like a nice person wants to inform everyone what's going on. Then on the bottom it says half dome permits or something similar.

Also, please don't fall for the trade pitch. One I saw says "trade only" and gives a seemingly legit reason i.e. wedding but then says "interested in any amount of permits you may have". Completely bogus. Obviously a scalper. So please flag them all.

GONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 04:36PM by rightstar76.
May 19, 2011 05:11PM
Could you edit out the 2391095956.html link please? That one is just informing people the cables won't be up. Thanks.
May 19, 2011 05:50PM
mbear
Could you edit out the 2391095956.html link please? That one is just informing people the cables won't be up. Thanks.

No! It's an ad to sell permits for other times. Please flag it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/2391095956.html
May 19, 2011 04:42PM
There will be a lot of upset buyers of Half Dome permits for May and early-June dates.
May 19, 2011 04:45PM
May 19, 2011 05:13PM
This one is also just the warning about the cables not being up. I'd hate to see this useful piece of information being lost, especially since it'll cost these losers some sales.
May 19, 2011 05:43PM
But it says yosemite half dome permits on the bottom.
May 19, 2011 05:48PM
Good catch
May 19, 2011 05:51PM
mbear
This one is also just the warning about the cables not being up. I'd hate to see this useful piece of information being lost, especially since it'll cost these losers some sales.

It's not a warning, it's an ad. Don't be fooled.
May 19, 2011 05:55PM
Good catch eeek and rightstar... that was one of the few I didn't flag, as I never saw the ad at the bottom.
May 19, 2011 04:57PM
May 19, 2011 04:58PM
May 19, 2011 05:52PM
There are some ads that let people know the cables aren't up. Trouble is they then say yosemite half dome permits on the bottom of the ad. I think these are scalper ads in disguise. The scalpers hope they won't be flagged. People will respond. Then the scalper can say yeah it's closed this weekend. I have some permits for next weekend to sell you, etc. Some people will just reply and offer to buy permits for later on. I am going to keep flagging them regardless of what they say.
May 19, 2011 05:59PM
Yeah... goes to show how ridiculous is the thought of anyone on craigslist having integrity with respect to this situation.
May 19, 2011 06:16PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wan/2391000409.html

[1 left of 3]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 07:43PM by eeek.
May 19, 2011 06:29PM
2 REMOVED

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 12:06PM by sactown23.
May 19, 2011 06:37PM
I like that one too! I flagged it before I was even done reading it.
May 19, 2011 07:03PM
That's awesome. Some jackass scalper wants to get extra Sunday permits to sell?
May 19, 2011 09:16PM
On the good side, that one was removed before I could flag it. On the bad side, that one was removed before I could read it.

Hmm...I was looking for an appropriate emoticon from the menu but too many of them look like chick-on, and none of them look like chick-on's butt.
May 19, 2011 09:51PM
Leeches selling HI->LYV permits really piss me off.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/2391705448.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 11:56PM by mbear.
May 20, 2011 06:38AM
I'd just like to say great job everyone. I went on to do my morning check and everything was already removed!
May 20, 2011 11:30AM
Yup, some of these scalpers are editing their posts....
Have a harmless post and edit it out a day later

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/2391301984.html
May 20, 2011 12:04PM
I was wondering why I'd see posts made the day before that I hadn't yet flagged. Can you edit titles for the posts too?
May 20, 2011 12:07PM
May 20, 2011 01:00PM
mbear
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/wan/2392490685.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wan/2392584645.html

0/2 REMOVED

Just curious---what is the reasoning for flagging this one:
I am looking for 2 or 3 permits to hike Half Dome on June 10, 11, or 12. I already have my campsite, but I missed the date to reserve the permits, and my kids would really like to do the hike for the first time. If anyone has any extras, I would appreciate it. I don't have anything to trade, nor ami I willing to reimburse you for any more than the $1.50/permit fee charged by the NPS as selling of the permits is prohibited. Please do not contact me if you are a scalper. Thank you!

Is this the kind of post you have referred to where they are editing it after the fact making it clear the intentions are not as innoncent as the above post seems?
May 20, 2011 02:01PM
My reasoning is that craigslist is a forum for selling things, and not a place where you're likely to have hikers looking out for and helping each other for altruistic reasons. I don't especially love the idea of flagging buyers, but recognize it as necessary to get all these middlemen who add no utility out from in between hikers/campers and the NPS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 02:04PM by mbear.
May 20, 2011 02:11PM
mbear
My reasoning is that craigslist is a forum for selling things, and not a place where you're likely to have hikers looking out for and helping each other for altruistic reasons. I don't especially love the idea of flagging buyers, but recognize it as necessary to get all these middlemen who add no utility out from in between hikers/campers and the NPS.

Certain political elements in our society undoubtedly would refer to them as "businessmen."
May 20, 2011 02:19PM
It's not exactly hard to game these kind of automated permit systems. Back in school I used to write similar programs to enroll in full classes. I'm sure the school uses a CAPTCHA now to kill that though, lol.
May 20, 2011 03:06PM
mbear

Well - I wouldn't necessarily categorize CL as a place only for selling things. It's an electronic classified ads system. They've got many categories that are more than simply about selling items or services. They've also got some pretty extensive discussion forums. They include a housing swap section too. Perhaps most people aren't thinking truly altruistically when posting to Craigslist. It's a tricky situation.

I've actually had tickets that I've obtained free/cheap and gave them away on a discussion board to the first people to contact me. Perhaps that colors my thinking.
May 20, 2011 06:44PM
I have some very dear friends that I've met on the discussion forums. And I've used the selling part to get rid of furniture and other tickets (not scalping). On the whole, it's a great site, and I've been a fan for 12+ years. Craig is a nice guy, and the business seems to be well-run. It's really a small operation. Most things are automated, like the flagging. It's pretty much user-controlled.

In this case, we're the users controlling who can post what to sell.
May 20, 2011 08:05PM
double

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 08:05PM by sactown23.
May 20, 2011 12:29PM
Here are 2 still remaining that have slipped through the cracks:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 12:30PM by mbear.
May 20, 2011 01:07PM
May 20, 2011 04:55PM
eeek

Why is this one still alive? He's selling a wilderness permit.
May 20, 2011 05:26PM
Very illegal. Buyers are in for a fun surprise since they'll have to show id when they get there, am I right?
May 20, 2011 08:06PM
don't get fooled by the ads that are not being posted right now.

scalpers are trying every trick they can think of

They may very well let loose for a week and start hitting the bags again once june rolls around. Or, maybe this hiatus will last a day or two.

Either way, I am checking everyday, multiple times a day.
May 20, 2011 08:16PM
sactown23
don't get fooled by the ads that are not being posted right now.

scalpers are trying every trick they can think of

They may very well let loose for a week and start hitting the bags again once june rolls around. Or, maybe this hiatus will last a day or two.

Either way, I am checking everyday, multiple times a day.

Yeah, we gotta be ready to keep hitting them in a few days once the ads come back in full force again.
May 21, 2011 08:19AM
May 21, 2011 09:31AM
May 21, 2011 11:41AM
May 21, 2011 12:15PM
May 21, 2011 12:15PM
May 21, 2011 12:33PM
May 21, 2011 12:48PM
May 21, 2011 12:58PM
Closing this thread and starting a new one. Keep on flagging.
May 21, 2011 01:02PM
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.