Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Update: Man on Upper Yosemite Falls Trail died of heart attack, not a fall.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Update: Man on Upper Yosemite Falls Trail died of heart attack, not a fall.
May 18, 2011 05:33PM
The San Francisco Chronicle has an update of the tragic death on Jason Dunbar of Berkeley, CA, 34, while hiking down the Upper Yosemite Falls trail. The cause of death has been ruled a sudden heart attack.

The article also includes more information about Mr. Dunbar and his life. A memorial celebration for Jason Dunbar is scheduled at 2:00 p.m., May 27, at the Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church in Lafayette, CA.

San Francisco Chronicle: Yosemite hiker died of heart attack, not fall

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Oh, that's really a tragedy. All I can think at times like these is that he died doing something he loved. But far, far, far before his time.
Re: Update: Man on Upper Yosemite Falls Trail died of heart attack, not a fall.
May 19, 2011 06:57AM
That is tragic. Not the first time I have heard of someone having a heart attack while running. A coworker of mine a few years back was running in the local hills, had a heart attack and fell dead right on the trail. He was about 25. Tragic when they are taken too early.
avatar Re: Update: Man on Upper Yosemite Falls Trail died of heart attack, not a fall.
May 19, 2011 07:58AM
hotrod4x5
That is tragic. Not the first time I have heard of someone having a heart attack while running. A coworker of mine a few years back was running in the local hills, had a heart attack and fell dead right on the trail. He was about 25. Tragic when they are taken too early.

I recall (a few years ago) an NPS investigator came to aid someone in trouble on the Mist Trail and died of a heart attack. However - he was in his early 50s.
It makes me wonder what the cause of these heart attacks are, in these young people (like genetic deformities, smoking, eating...etc-the ladder ones usually take years to show). My dad was 57, when he died from one, the day following cardioversion (having your heart stopped and restarted)...which, in itself, is considered "young". He had conjestive heart failure.
He was a heavy drinker and smoker, though. Upon receiving his medical records, I found he had been hiding the fact that he had confirmed hardened arteries, at the ripe ol' age of 38 or 39.

I question the medical proffession/ insurance companies for not using routine screening of the heart, in younger people. Heart problems aren't an "old person" problem.
My mother now has heart failure, from all the heavy meds (I figure?), to control her multiple sclerosis. She was 55, when diagnosed, but we figure she may have had since she was in her 40s, but wasn't monitored.

Sorry, end of rant. Seriously, though, young people should have regular heart screenings...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 11:50AM by Red Lipstick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login