Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Summer Plans

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 19, 2011 07:40AM
After a winter and spring season of too much business travel and not enough outdoor time, I've finally been able to sit down and figure out some summer adventures. Thankful for a lot of accumulated vacation time and comp time from sitting on 11 hour plane rides. A couple of Yosemite-area options are on the table for shorter outings but my longer trips will be a bit south. And pushed back into late august due to this season's snow.

9 days out over Taboose and into Lakes Basin/Dumbbell Lakes. Climb Observation and Shakspear (who decided on the spelling of that one anyways?). Loop back either through Upper Basin (depending on Frozen Lake Pass conditions) and bag Split or down to Bench Lake and do Arrow.

10+ days along 395 - combination of backpacks/peak bagging and bouldering. Hope to start off with a few days in out of Convict Lake to do Baldwin and Morrison, then a few days around Bishop to climb and fish, noodle around the dayhikable peaks, then down to Shepherd Creek for a multi day outing to climb Tyndall and Williamson (bighorn restrictions have been lifted this year - year round access! woo!).

In the weekends leading up to those trips I'll probably head out to my favorite area, Tioga Pass, to get to altitude and stretch my peak bagging legs. I still want to do Parsons Peak (look ma! I'm in three counties at once!) and I still have plans to squeeze in a trip at some point to get in towards Koip Pass and do the cluster of peaks: Lewis, Kuna, Koip, Parker, Wood.

So many peaks, so little snow-free-open-Tioga-Pass time.

What plans does everyone else have? I love poking through threads requesting advice on trips or trip reports to get ideas for my future outings. smiling smiley
May 19, 2011 07:25PM
Somebody I know wants to get up Dana as soon as Tioga opens so they can glissade the snow fields on the way down.

Old Dude
May 19, 2011 07:26PM
mrcondron
Somebody I know wants to get up Dana as soon as Tioga opens so they can glissade the snow fields on the way down.

Feathered friend?
May 19, 2011 07:55PM
Stinger friend.

Old Dude
May 20, 2011 11:11AM
Wheeeeeeee!!!!! I've always wanted to do that.
May 20, 2011 11:12AM
Looks like there will be some great trip reports to read by the end of summer.
May 19, 2011 08:07PM
Calipidder
I love poking through threads requesting advice on trips or trip reports to get ideas for my future outings.

I couldn't agree more...I have lived vicariuosly through this site quite often while chained to a desk over the past years. Thanks to all for the wonderful posts. "Wherever" had a great post last June titled "Abandoned trails and off-trail hikes near Yosemite Valley" , and I have been fortunate enough to be able to do more than a few of in the last month or two.
A couple of pics...Clouds Rest from Mt Watkins a month ago, and the view from the Old Big Oak Flat Road yesterday afternoon.

As for my plans, unfortunately I am not sure when I will be back in Yosemite. Have a long wished-for raft trip down the Grand Canyon booked for the end of June, August will be spent in the Tahoe Basin and maybe poking up towards the Lassen area, and hope to do the last leg (for me) of Roper's "Sierra High Route" in August (King's Canyon to Dusy Basin).
May 19, 2011 09:22PM
I have a Bishop Pass permit for 7 nights in August...I'm hoping to do some cross-country that involves the Ionian Basin, among other areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 09:22PM by ttilley.
May 20, 2011 07:14AM
This is a fantastic site. I had a long list of questions for my Tenaya Lake, Clouds Rest, Half Dome adventure and several jumped right in with great answers and advice. I still spend time going through old posts and reading trip reports.

Thank you folks!
May 20, 2011 09:48AM
In August I and a hiking partner from these forums will be doing the Pacific Crest--Rodgers Canyon--Grand Canyon loop with planned side trips to Volunteer Peak and the fabled Table Lake. We will also take in the petrogyphs in Pate Valley. I'm ready now!Backpacker
May 20, 2011 06:56PM
tomdisco
In August I and a hiking partner from these forums will be doing the Pacific Crest--Rodgers Canyon--Grand Canyon loop with planned side trips to Volunteer Peak and the fabled Table Lake. We will also take in the petrogyphs in Pate Valley. I'm ready now!Backpacker

There will be no trip report from this trek as once the Lac Tableau is arrived at there will be no departure, only food drops to prolong the ecstasy.

Old Dude
May 21, 2011 04:31PM
mrcondron
tomdisco

There will be no trip report from this trek as once the Lac Tableau is arrived at there will be no departure, only food drops to prolong the ecstasy.

O.K. by me. I'm retiring in June. Somebody tell my wife why I never came home.eye rolling smiley
May 21, 2011 04:52PM
tomdisco
mrcondron
tomdisco

O.K. by me. I'm retiring in June. Somebody tell my wife why I never came home.eye rolling smiley

Table Lake rapture?
May 21, 2011 05:01PM
mrcondron
tomdisco

Dear Mike,
This time please substitute chikins for turkeys.
(FallingDownLaughingly Yours)
The Marmots

May 23, 2011 03:57PM
Be careful. I may just find you two TURKEYS out there!
I have a date written down... so I may find you!

As for plans... I have an ever growing list o things to check out... and at various times of the year...

btw Parson Plateau trumps the Peak by a longshot. Hike the whole thingading.
It's something I will definitely do again...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 21, 2011 07:40AM
Not quite summer...a week in Yosemite Valley in June...can't wait.

And in July, Miter Basin.
June 09, 2011 10:53AM
Time fries. Dang. Almost summer already. Pretty soon the snow will be flying again.

Remembered these couple of threads, may be interested in if haven't seen:

Hang-on Basket:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,28503

Parsons area:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,28730,28753#msg-28753

Love the plateau. Will do it again. But it was DANG windy when was there.
Hid in the rocks N of the Peak (not really much of a peak) enjoying a Twinkie out of the wind.

Too much to see.... not enough time.
Sigh

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 10:54AM by chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login